trapping fish red lights vs a trap.

TSM Aquatics

david campbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
i have seen a lot of info on a handful of diy traps to high-end traps but i also read from time to time about someone using a red light and just net the fish out it this an urban legend how does the red light prevent the fish from seeing or scenting the net?

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
i have seen a lot of info on a handful of diy traps to high-end traps but i also read from time to time about someone using a red light and just net the fish out it this an urban legend how does the red light prevent the fish from seeing or scenting the net?
Fish mostly can’t see in the red spectrum at all, they don’t have night vision so if you turn on only red light and turn everything else off they can’t see. You still have to be quick with the net and get them on your first try cause they will learn quick and you might not get another chance that way.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
An easier way than both is to wait until the lights have been off in the aquarium for a few hours and turn everything on. The fish are stunned for 30 seconds or so to the point where you can reach in and grab them with your hands. Only works if you know where the fish sleeps at night. If they bury themselves in the sand or rock then it won't work obviously. I would probably try anything less stressful to the whole tank first but this method has never failed me.

TSM Aquatics

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 43 6.6%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 455 70.1%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 56 8.6%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 65 10.0%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 63 9.7%