Travelling for two days - now what?

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Both my husband and I have to go on a business trip for 1.5 days (leaving early one day and coming back late the other - so, essentially two days, 3 feedings, I can feed them early before I leave, but we'll be back after dark the next day and they'll already be asleep). I have a trigger and a blenny, both well-fed, who are currently being fed twice a day. A friend of mine, also a fish keeper and actually studying fish for her research, said it should be fine to leave them without food for that time and she rather advised against any "vacation" drops or any of the like as she assumes they'd fight over it, which might get nasty with a trigger. But, I'm also somewhat worried about a hangry trigger...

Now, I just wanted to double-check with your experiences if it's fine to leave them starving for so long. Should I turn of the lights (currently on a timer) to decrease activity?

Thanks for any advice

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Should I turn off the timer/lights for those two days as to reduce activity (and potential aggression)?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave the lights on your usual cycle. For longer periods, you can also get autofeeders that fill drop pellets in the tank on a schedule that you set.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just let your tank run as it normally does. I routinely leave my tank unattended and unfed for a week at a time. As long as your fish aren't already malnourished, they will be fine.

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they should be fine but you could get an auto feeder. or if you have any friends or family that could stop by??

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back