Treating ick safely and quickly PLEASE HELP

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 gallon water box with 2 davincii clowns, a melenarus wrasse, a coral beauty and a purple tang. also a TON of corals. this is the first time in years of owning tanks that I've gotten ich. I know the purple tang has ich but can't quite tell about the others. Don't have a quarantine. worried about the others getting infected and scared to dose copper for fear of hurting and killing the very valuable corals. need advise ASAP so I can take action. the levels are all very good atm just tested.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to start treating with Metroplex and Vitamin C, using focus to bind the food to your frozen and feed. Do this for 7 day to 14 days.

Any changes in the system of late?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated for Ich many time this way and it is perfectly safe for the reef. :)
Really? That would contradict @Humblefish 's thread and info on ich, very interested in this! Do you just mix with focus and feed similar to how we would deal with internal parasites?

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to post any pictures? Ich/Velvet can be tough to differentiate, and velvet seems to be popping up more often recently.
Either way, there isn't a reef safe treatment for ich, however, you can attempt to manage it. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/ich-eradication-vs-management.45/
I agree with nopy check out that link and refrence some of humblefishs blogs on here he has alot of knowlege to offer regarding fish illments.. judging by the size of tank and amount of live stock a qt would need to be close in size which is not cost friendly or practical management might be your best bet you can try copper dips but be cautious with your tang they are extra sensitive to copper treatments so lower doses might be better... hyposalinity i heard is effective but not sure how it will affect a reef tank with corals salinity swings might be dangerous anyways good luck on this. Were here to help [emoji16]

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? That would contradict @Humblefish 's thread and info on ich, very interested in this! Do you just mix with focus and feed similar to how we would deal with internal parasites?
Yes.
Most would recommend quarenting the fish and let the system follow for 72 days. The OP does not have the option to follow and quarante.:)

From what I have read and found, Ich is caused by stress in the system which stress the fish. One of the reasons we see Ich after adding new fish to a system.

Velvet is nother to mess with and is quick to have mortalities with fish and the is treated in system with Kanoplex, and focus. Vitamin C is great for the stress and helps the fish and corals health. One can also use a multivitamin also. Like with humans, to much is not good either and just a waist.

Do this process link and toss in the meds

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
Most would recommend quarenting the fish and let the system follow for 72 days. The OP does not have the option to follow and quarante.:)

From what I have read and found, Ich is caused by stress in the system which stress the fish. One of the reasons we see Ich after adding new fish to a system.

Velvet is nother to mess with and is quick to have mortalities with fish and the is treated in system with Kanoplex, and focus. Vitamin C is great for the stress and helps the fish and corals health. One can also use a multivitamin also. Like with humans, to much is not good either and just a waist.

Do this process link and toss in the meds
So your still employing a management method, never actually eradicating the ich? Or does the metroplex in they're system prevent the parasite form reproducing and therefore eradicates it?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your still employing a management method, never actually eradicating the ich? Or does the metroplex in they're system prevent the parasite form reproducing and therefore eradicates it?

I my experiences, keeping the fish healthy the Ich has gone away like a insystem follow. Ich is like a cold, it is alway present, just something such as a weak immune system or stress and the fish get sick.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I my experiences, keeping the fish healthy the Ich has gone away like a insystem follow. Ich is like a cold, it is alway present, just something such as a weak immune system or stress and the fish get sick.

This is completely untrue and something I have seen you say often. Ich is a parasite with a known lifecycle and a known way to eradicate it. Ich is not always present, it needs to be introduced and again there is a way to get rid of it. I am confident my tanks are ich free because of my QT procedures.

And a cold is not always present too. I am not just walking around with a cold until my immune system weakens. A cold is a virus, not something that lays dormant in your body waiting to strike.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely untrue and something I have seen you say often. Ich is a parasite with a known lifecycle and a known way to eradicate it. Ich is not always present, it needs to be introduced and again there is a way to get rid of it. I am confident my tanks are ich free because of my QT procedures.

And a cold is not always present too. I am not just walking around with a cold until my immune system weakens. A cold is a virus, not something that lays dormant in your body waiting to strike.

Sorry, I was using a cold for a simple reference point, let try ringworm then. I have one even better, Cellulitis being the outbreak being caused by a simple bacteria on the skin that is alway present.:)

For the second time the OP does not have the ability to QT.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex WILL NOT erradicate ich, or that would be the go to method.

Nothing that is reef safe will get rid of it. Fish have to be QTd and reef DT has to be fallow.

Or management techniques. There is a difference.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

I also wouldn't recommend dosing a reef tank with metroplex.

Food soaking with focus is fine, but there is no benefit for ich using this method.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch them, a freshwater dip may reduce the number of external parasites on a particular fish.

Reducing the temperature a degree or 2 , could slow the life cycle of ich as well, giving the fish more a chance of developing immunity.

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so many answers a little confused, well the tang so far isn't acting to funny and right now the other fish are out I'll try to get a pick but he's a very fast swimmer. yeah and as I've mentioned before I don't have a quarantine. I have an extra 10 gallon not in use and a 30 gallon frag tank with my darling little clowns

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clear this up:
If you have a fish with ich, ich is in your tank. Going fallow for the required time is the only way to rid the tank of it. The fish can be rid of it by using the TTM method. Since you are not able to do both of these, your only choice is to manage it. Ref HumbleFish article above. No stress, live foods and UV to keep the population of tomites and trophonts in check.

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clear this up:
If you have a fish with ich, ich is in your tank. Going fallow for the required time is the only way to rid the tank of it. The fish can be rid of it by using the TTM method. Since you are not able to do both of these, your only choice is to manage it. Ref HumbleFish article above. No stress, live foods and UV to keep the population of tomites and trophonts in check.
This is only an option ifs it exclusively ich, if its velvet or a combo of both, the tangs will never make it. I wish @pokegirl1332 would provide us with some pictures so we can make sure!

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs unfortunately are very very hard to keep ich free and velvet huh good luck my hippo tang was gone in a matter of days they stress out easily and seem to have weaker immune systems thus get it worse than others
.. and too add ich or velvet is not always present they get introduced into a system by a net or decor coral rocks inverts and improperly quarantined fish you also gotta be careful with contaminating food and test equipment all things going in and out of a infected tank now needs to be soaked in boiling hot water to kill any possible parasites safe handling practices proper qt = 0 ich

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple tang in question

2C38B563-5F25-4BCD-83F3-534BE67CAC75.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back