Treating zoa pox

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all.
Late last night I found quite a few frags with zoa pox. After thinking how much money I'm going to lose and wondering if it's even worth it, I decided to treat them today.

Treatment: 1 packet of furan2 to each cup of new saltwater (10 cups total). Treatment heated to 84 degrees.

The unaffected ones will still get dipped but go into the same tank. Affected ones will go into another, more established tank for better healing.

I will take all frags out and scrape off the pox, had luck that way before. Then they'll go into the dip and be rinsed with tank water.

I will update after treatment.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa pox isn't that bad if you dip them in Furan 2 with a power head running in the container, and make sure to take off the pox but, you should look for the causes because there's something wrong with your tank that's stressing zoas out. I think the temperature swings caused it in my case. Whenever, I would change the water and it was not heated properly I would see zoa pox.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost 100% sure it was the high nitrates. Happened before but twice is a pattern.
It's just labor intensive and annoying

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: mostly good ones back in the frag tank, the bad ones are in the nem tank
All in all, not as many bad ones as I thought. So there's a positive :)
IMG_1461.JPG IMG_1459.JPG

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had it like a week ago. Dipped it in iodine and peroxide and popped the zit looking dot with tweezers and then freshwater dip and they all came back

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of using peroxide before. I beat it once about 6 months ago. I'm almost 100% certain it was due to parameters. Nothing new for quite a while.

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did also but read on here that this guy friend does it all the time and it also worked for him. And since I already had Rasta I risked it. So I did it. And it discolor the head a bit and snapped back in a week

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used peroxide for algae before so I know what you mean lol it changed the colors of my zippers once.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While all of that is intriguing, and we all thirst for knowledge here, there is still no provable cause. The tank has been perfect for weeks. It hasn't been in the tank long because there were very few "pox" there. Each of the affected colonies only have a few. There's multiple lps/softies on top of the majority of zoas/palythoas, there's no bleaching or changes of any others. I also skim very dry. The only "out of whack" thing has been an increased level of nitrates ~20.
The only change was 2 days ago when I started nopox.
For all I know, maybe the kitties took a swim while I was at work lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol amateur hahah
I noticed last night after 2 days of some being closed. It's definitely a new development.
Find that article dude! I neeeeeeeed it! Lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article I had read, I'm pretty sure had stated it was a fungus, and that's what I logged in my brain.. I was hoping to verify, but... It does seem its a fungus.
That's why furan 2 seems to be the choice treatment, Id assume fluconazole would work too. Also Iodine dips, but its not as effective, it "washes" it as opposed to eradicating it I believe. Coral RX revive etc do the same. But it each of those it would stay in the system.

Its possible its a flare up from the bloom, as bacteria can be food, or they both(bac/fungus) feed on the same thing.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article I had read, I'm pretty sure had stated it was a fungus, and that's what I logged in my brain.. I was hoping to verify, but... It does seem its a fungus.
That's why furan 2 seems to be the choice treatment, Id assume fluconazole would work too. Also Iodine dips, but its not as effective, it "washes" it as opposed to eradicating it I believe. Coral RX revive etc do the same. But it each of those it would stay in the system.

Its possible its a flare up from the bloom, as bacteria can be food, or they both(bac/fungus) feed on the same thing.
It would make more sense if it was a bacteria, flare up with the rest of them. It may have been kept in check. That may be why furan2 works so well, it is an antibacterial dip.
But then again if it was a fungus it could lie dormant for a time until conditions were favorable.
One dip has worked for me in the past, if it comes back I may try a different dip.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back