Tricks for messy tangs?

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tang and wrasse love nori but they are so messy and at this point I think the bioload they produce from All the waste is more than my stingray.

Right now I just rubber band a small sheet to a rock but it ends up shredded quickly and floating all over the tank. In fact i saw my Blondie naso pull a huge chunk off swim over to my mp60 and then drop it right by the intake - almost an immediate poof and I have a green cloud of nori all over the tank. It almost looked intentional and ive seen that same fish do it before. Any ideas to make meal time less of a mess?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I cut the sheets up into little squares and drop them in the water 1 by 1. The eat the entire square with no mess. They still crap like an elephant but cant' do anything about that. :)

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using this one and has reduced the mess by a lot. Still messy, just not as much

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the red nori, which my tangs like best, is also messier than the green. I will sometimes substitute romaine lettuce which they like as well. That is virtually mess free.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using this one and has reduced the mess by a lot. Still messy, just not as much

Ooh interesting.. how's the magnet in that? Is it completely encased by plastic or is there some sort of seal that can break and cause rusting? Also how strong is it because I have 3/4 inch glass

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh interesting.. how's the magnet in that? Is it completely encased by plastic or is there some sort of seal that can break and cause rusting? Also how strong is it because I have 3/4 inch glass
To be honest not sure. They look encased, but they did have many reviews where they rusted. (Amazon had way better reviews). However, the pics of those show so much coraline on them I think people just left them in the tank. Mine is only inside of my tank for short periods of time while feeding and have had no issues so far. As far as the thickness, not so sure. The magnet is very strong IMO, but I cant tell how strong it needs to be for 3/4 glass. When I was looking for it I also saw a few printed ones with suction cups instead of magnets. (I hate suction cups though haha)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I elastic band mine to a rock but I fold it about 4 times first and make sure it is really secure, it makes them work for it and I get very little waste.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the best way to feed nori is to use cut it partially into strips so that when the fish grabs the end, it just grabs one small strip and rips it off (rather than pulling the whole thing off the feeder) if that makes sense. You can cut the strips as big or small as you need to.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back