Tridacna clams?

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been thinking about buying a tridacna clam for a couple of weeks. I'm not planning to buy it soon but around late spring/early summer. I was just wondering if anyone can give me any good tips on taking care of these guys, best places to get them, personal experiences, etc.

I have a 46 gallon mixed reef bowfront tank with a sump (20L??), reef octopus int110, and ocean revive t247 led full spectrum lights.

specific gravity- 1.025-1.026
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 8.2
calcium: 410 ppm
magnesium: 1200 ppm
alkalinity: 9 dKH

Supurderek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to look good for clams. Just make sure you acclimate slowly. And if they are smaller than 3”, try dosing phytoplankton I recently bought a few more clams to add to collection from bluezooaquatics. Had luck with Diver’s Den and I see TLreefs keeping clams since last year healthy.

Read up on how to pick a healthy clam and you should be set!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality looks good for a clam as stated above. Lighting should be suitable as well. Make sure to do a little reading on the different species as they require different placement in the tank. Care wise, they are all fairly straight forward and can be treated for the most part like a coral. As mentioned above, feeding a small clam (<2") phyto may be beneficial. Many people advocate it, but in my experience it is usually not necessary as long as the clam is recieving appropriate amounts of light and flow.

ORA has aquacultured clams that tend to be fairly hardy that you can get through most LFS and through live aquaria. I generally prefer to get my clams either from a local source where I can see them in person, or atleast through a WYSIWYG source as these clams (particularly T. maxima) can have HIGHLY variable patterning and color on the mantle.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality looks good for a clam as stated above. Lighting should be suitable as well. Make sure to do a little reading on the different species as they require different placement in the tank. Care wise, they are all fairly straight forward and can be treated for the most part like a coral. As mentioned above, feeding a small clam (<2") phyto may be beneficial. Many people advocate it, but in my experience it is usually not necessary as long as the clam is recieving appropriate amounts of light and flow.

This is good advice. Placement is important. Some can go on the sand (squamosa, deresa); other need much higher light and must go up high (Maxima, Crocea). The higher light clams are generally harder to keep.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are growing hard coral and/or coralline well, then your tank can handle just about anything that calcifies.

They can use up quite a bit of carbonate, calcium and magnesium as they grow, so have a good dosing plan/system.

You do not have to do anything fancy to get a Squamosa or Crocea - a good LFS should be able to handle this... just get them as soon as they arrive since you never know how long they have been neglected at the LFS. I always assume the worst.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you check under the base or clam and at the top especially where the flesh covers the area of growth for parasitic snails.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back