OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a apex controlling my equipment I have a brand new dos pump which I have not connected yet still in the box I’m debating on getting another one for mag but again do not see the benefits of one just for it I would still have another pump doin nothing I can use to dose trace or aminos but I can do that manually

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a Trident. These items of mine are from Neptune: full Apex controller (with temp, salinity, ORP, & ph probes), ATK (auto-topoff), 2 WAV makers, 2 DOS (1 for Auto Water Change & 1 for Ca/Alk dosing), 1 DDR (Ca and Alk reservoir), 2 Cor-20 return pumps, 2 1" flow-sensors, EB832, & EB8 (I recommend getting more than one EB832 if you need more outlets: EB832 gives you much more visibility and control).

Before you invest in a Trident, you should examine your motives. Do you hate testing and think that Trident will do all that for you? It will do a lot of testing, but it also requires upkeep and calibration. Many threads on here show that it is not a set-and-forget device. I'm not saying it is unreliable, just that it isn't extremely simple. Many on here also periodically test Alk, Ca, and Mg by hand to ensure that the Trident is correct: they trust it a lot but not absolutely/blindly. It will not replace the need for testing phosphate and salinity.

Do you not understand how Alk, Ca, and Mg vary in you tank throughout the day or day-to-day? Trident can help here because it will show you how those values change over time on nice graphs.

Do you want Trident to control your Alk and Ca dosing? It can do that if you use 2-part and a DOS. If you use a calcium reactor, Trident can't fine-tune it. Calcium reactor does both Ca and Alk together. You may be able to turn it off and on via the Apex controller, based on Trident readings, but I'm not sure that's a good way to manage a CaRx. In a new tank, Ca and Alk usage is usually very erratic. As your tank matures and corals grow, the usage gets much more stable.

If Trident is used to control your 2-part dosing, then the available supply of reagents becomes critical to your tank. If you run out of a reagent, you'll need to know how to run your 2-part dosing off-Trident. Everyone who uses Trident this way should have this procedure readily available. My fallback if my 2-part DOS were to fail would be to dose manually, once-a-day.

Bottom line, SPS seem to do best in a stable system. Trident can help with Alk and Ca (even Mg if you have another DOS), but most of that stability comes from you, the reef-keeper. The most value I get from all my Neptune gear is from the probes, flow-meters, and on/off capability: information (#1) and control (#2). They are all just tools for me to use to be the best reef-keeper I can be. If my tank is successful, it is because of me. If it crashes, it is because of me. Why? Because I chose and control everything about my tank, from the hardware to what goes in and out of it.

We learn how to be successful reef-keepers by reading books, blogs like this site, talking to other reefers, and the school of hard-knocks (aka experience). Being in-tune with your tank by being more hands-on and observing your tank has the most benefit to me. Automation is an acceptable progression after you develop some understanding. If you skip acquiring the understanding, then automation can make things get out-of-control much faster.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in hands on reefing but at the same time testing daily does become another job but I do it to make sure everything is stable or at least try to make it stable figured the trident will help me do this I do rely on my probes to tell me my salinity and ph but again I test bith with my Hanna digital testers as far as cal alk phosphates the same Hanna mag and nitrates would be salifert.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the advice from everyone thanks to all I guess I’ll have to figure it out

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back