Trident reagent A empty notification...almost 100mL left in bottle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran through my first set of reagent in about six weeks. Was on vacation at that point and started to get some wierd readings (ca dropped from 450 tom320, which is essentially impossible) for a few days until I got the reagent empty error message followed shortly by no test in 24 hours. Ended up with less than 30 ml for B and C, a bit more for A. Once I replaced them and recalibrated, readings are back to normal. Probably prudent for trident to be set to leave a little reagent, particularly if you are using it to trigger dosing.

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my B and C reagents, and even though I had 35mL and 50mL left, respectively, I was getting spotty readings towards the end:

Capture.JPG

I wouldn't try to squeeze these reagents if you can avoid it. FYI those end amounts were with NO calibration run and only 2 on-demand tests, and otherwise a minimal testing load (4/2/2). The pictures you see above are with no manipulations of chemistry in that entire week, with a calcium reactor dialed in and running consistent (you can sort of tell with the alk graph, I do lose about 0.5dkh/week and will adjust to flatten it soon).

The CA and Mag there was no reason for them to be wonky to my understanding. I was away for 2 of the days, so pH probably fluctuated, but I imagine that would have impacted Alk more than CA or Mag.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my B and C reagents, and even though I had 35mL and 50mL left, respectively, I was getting spotty readings towards the end:

Capture.JPG

I wouldn't try to squeeze these reagents if you can avoid it. FYI those end amounts were with NO calibration run and only 2 on-demand tests, and otherwise a minimal testing load (4/2/2). The pictures you see above are with no manipulations of chemistry in that entire week, with a calcium reactor dialed in and running consistent (you can sort of tell with the alk graph, I do lose about 0.5dkh/week and will adjust to flatten it soon).

The CA and Mag there was no reason for them to be wonky to my understanding. I was away for 2 of the days, so pH probably fluctuated, but I imagine that would have impacted Alk more than CA or Mag.

Thanks for sharing the data. Did you get the expected # of days out of your reagents?

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Promised, update on reagent usage:

As of this afternoon on 8/13, I had to change reagents again. I missed the pic, but Reagent A had around 130 ml in the middle change. I need to look back and see how many days I got out of the set....but here are the results of the final change:

~130 ml Reagent A
86EFBD64-6904-4A65-A52A-FF95044AD1A3.jpeg

~42ml Reagent B
6685B1C1-56EF-40AB-9D5B-6C49A4318ED2.jpeg

~43ml Reagent C
8D4C0730-C8A0-4189-B3C7-C5657DBF920F.jpeg

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it was June 24th to Aug 13th on a 4/2/2 schedule with zero extra tests. I got 45 days on my first set of reagents, and about 49 on my second....still coming up 20-25% short of what Neptune is claiming.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I was nominally six weeks on my first set of reagent; on track for about six again on the second set.

Thesupa79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your telling me if something costs lets say $100 but the manufacturer said o but you only get $66 dollars worth out of it you would be fine. from what he said he is losing one third of the reagent do to this. thats a waste of money in my opinion
im not trying to start a argument or anything but most people wouldn't be ok with throwing out something they paid for that is still perfectly good to use.

Last edited:

Thesupa79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else noticed that when the reagent A goes empty that alk suddenly drops , I have been at 7.9 to 8.2 for two weeks, then the day I run out of reagent, my last test gave me a reading of 7.59, I replaced the reagent ,now its saying 7.67, It has done this every time I have run out...Any thoughts?

Thesupa79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of people saying the test get a lil wonky towards the end, but you would assume that after replacing it would go back to normal or close to what you were testing at ,and they only give you one calibration solution so, you cant use that for your 2nd bottle of reagent a if u used it for 1st.

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for Neptune and have had a Trident for months before the NSI.

Would you be able to tell me if when Trident is out of a reagent does it stop testing altogether? My readings haven’t changed in days because I am waiting for a new set of reagents. I haven’t updated to the new AOS yet.

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident stops testing that parameter, and gives an alert at the top of the Trident parameter window indicating that the Reagent is empty (and will tell you when it is +24 hours of no testing as a result). It's not a new functionality, as I never updated my AOS after initial installation when you needed to do an update to even have Trident functionality available.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to tell me if when Trident is out of a reagent does it stop testing altogether? My readings haven’t changed in days because I am waiting for a new set of reagents. I haven’t updated to the new AOS yet.

correct it will stop. However, you can just choose reset the reagents and it will start testing again. That gives me a few extra weeks of testing per reagent set. And then it will eventually run out and give you a bad reading.

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys! Is it safe to install the last eat AOS? It was giving people wonky readings before and I am having enough trouble as it is...

Afm32607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older post, but how is everyone doing extending their testing supplies, and where is anyone getting reagents from? I haven't seen any available, ever.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older post, but how is everyone doing extending their testing supplies, and where is anyone getting reagents from? I haven't seen any available, ever.
Get on the Official Neptune Support FB group - vendors often post when they have them available

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back