Trident reagent A empty notification...almost 100mL left in bottle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was one of the ones stating that a change in coding could make the reagent last longer if they aren’t already using it....so I assumed I was in that category. I think the goal is to use 250/300ml based on B and C results, but using only 350ml out of 600ml of A leaves a lot to be desired. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to use 90% of a bottle and not worry about bubbles.

2 days of 6/3/3 initially until first calibration, then 4/2/2 the rest of the way with no manual tests.

It was turned on May 11th, and was out of reagents b/c on June 24th. That is 45 days. Add in 2 days of 6/3/3 and it is equivalent to 46 days at minimum testing.

So it sounds like this is the set of reagents that are included with the Trident.

If you read the box, those reagents are estimated to have only enough for 1 month due to the setup processes.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like this is the set of reagents that are included with the Trident.

If you read the box, those reagents are estimated to have only enough for 1 month due to the setup processes.
Terence said it’s the same exact set of reagents that are a 2 month supply, they just say 1 month in case people have to do anything excessive on setup. I did nothing more on my initial setup than I did on my second set. I’m not opening a ticket until the second set of reagents comes up similar, which I fully expect it to. I’ll document that here over the next 40-60 days.

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. It is the same amount as the refills. However due to the initial setup, it will use up more than in normal use. That's why it is noted for only 1 month's use. So getting 45 days out of that set is to be expected.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. It is the same amount as the refills. However due to the initial setup, it will use up more than in normal use. That's why it is noted for only 1 month's use. So getting 45 days out of that set is to be expected.

Were you a Beta tester and know for a fact that is to be expected? I’d be interested to know what extra processes the Trident goes through on initial setup that it doesn’t need after a refill. What could it do to use 1/4 of the reagent on setup?

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for Neptune and have had a Trident for months before the NSI.

Fantastic! Maybe you can help us get some answers to a few questions!

Can you explain what it does different on initial setup that would use 15 days worth of reagent?

Can you confirm that using 350/600mls of reagent A is normal?

Can you confirm that the coding in the trident tracks reagent usage and notifies that it is empty at what it thinks is a certain ml left in the bottle?

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial setup includes priming the lines, sometimes a few times.

The amount left over seems to vary from tank to tank. Some have less left over, some have more.

On occasion, I've manually reset the reagent bottle when I get an empty error if I don't have a refill on hand. But doing so sometimes lead to erroenous readings.

I don't know how the Trident measures the amount of tests/reagent remaining. I was not briefed on that.

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed my Reagent A.

I reset the error for a day before switching. That is about 6 additional tests.

32df865c84920559e45ded8e4281efe7.jpg

Graduations are hard to see. That's about 38-39ml left.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight! I think 30-50ml is perfectly reasonable. What got my attention was 1/3 of the bottle remaining when it said it was empty. Will monitor this set of reagents and see if it is any different!

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread, but I couldn't find the reagent on brs. Any idea if they'll add it to their inventory?

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed out my Reagent A for the first time today and measured exactly 50 ml remaining. I got 24 days out of the bottle doing the standard 4/2 testing so that is going to be a little shy of 2 months at standard testing intervals.

TTNuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed out my Reagent A for the first time today and measured exactly 50 ml remaining. I got 24 days out of the bottle doing the standard 4/2 testing so that is going to be a little shy of 2 months at standard testing intervals.

The initial setup of the Trident takes up some reagent which is exactly why they advertise a 1 month supply with the Trident even though it's a full sized reagent set. We need to wait until people have had their units up and running for up to 4 months before we can judge if there is too little reagent for a full 2 month supply.

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The initial setup of the Trident takes up some reagent which is exactly why they advertise a 1 month supply with the Trident even though it's a full sized reagent set. We need to wait until people have had their units up and running for up to 4 months before we can judge if there is too little reagent for a full 2 month supply.

Dont get me wrong I am very happy with the trident so far just adding my findings to the thread for more data not to complain.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As the Trident uses titration testing which will have an effect how much reagent is leftover, may I ask you at what Alk level you keep your tank?

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the feedback from this thread, I kept my reagent A in for two days longer (10 tests) than the exhausted alert. I poured the remaining reagent out when I finally swapped the bottles, and had 30mL left. Subsequent tests didn't seem off or reflect any issues. I just ordered 2 reagent kits (4 months supply). I was a little annoyed that I couldn't order a 6 month supply, as the maximum you can order from their site at a time is 2 kits.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little annoyed that I couldn't order a 6 month supply, as the maximum you can order from their site at a time is 2 kits.

For what it’s worth, the limit is 2 kits per order, so if you really want a 6 month supply then you can just go back and place another order for another 2 month supply. Shipping is a flat rate of $2.95 per kit, so there would be no extra cost by doing this.

That said, the reagents do have a limited shelf life. I’m sure it’s well over 6 months, but even so I’m not sure that letting it sit on your shelf for 6 months would be good for it. Unless you’ve bumped up the test frequency so you’re going through the reagent faster I would just keep your 4 month supply and order another kit or two in a few months that will have fresh reagent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back