Trident reagent A empty notification...almost 100mL left in bottle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YOu throw it away - and realize the your bought a product that suggests you do this. I meant - its not unreasonable - there are arguments pro and con depending on the alk you're using...

Honestly - to me (alone) the hype dcreated by Neptune around the 'need' for this is phenomenal. That said - its like the tulip bulb craze IMHO check - 1700- 1800 holland

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - but you bought a product with these rules -------- should I say 'suck it up'???? ----- that wouldn't fly here. but. its the answer if you are using this product. Im amazed that the question dosent relvolve around the Cs Mg the answer is the same - - - its the product you bought. So complaints make little sense

This thread was not started as a complaint, so please stop dropping posts in here with the tone you have. We know your standpoint, so “suck it up” isn’t helping anything.

The thread was created in Neptune’s forum asking a question about their product. “Is 92mL a normal amount of reagent to be left in the bottle after it was considered by the Trident to be empty?”

It wasn’t meant as a complaint or to start an argument, but was a simple question to ensure it was working as intended. I brought it public in case other people had similar questions, as I know the first thing that I do is look for someone else that had the same problem and see if there is an answer there....and other people with similar results have chimed in with their observations already.

No, we don’t know if the same will be seen for the other 2 elements, in fact based on the “Tests Remaining” value of those on my Trident, I’m looking at getting about 53 days out of my first kit running at the minimum number of tests per day. But, will there be another 90mL of reagent in the bottle to get me another 20-30 days?? I don’t know yet.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I just got the message saying that Reagent A was empty. Upon replacing it, I’d estimate that the ‘empty’ bottle had about 1/6th remaining. Unfortunately it did not occur to me to measure how much was left precisely before dumping it out. I don’t know how much was used up in initial setup and calibration, but I got about 25 days worth of tests out of the initial bottle before the alert. I do keep my alk on the higher end, so titration based tests will use a bit more reagent chez moi.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re getting close to having Tridents out in the wild for about two months now... anybody get empty notifications for the Ca and Mg reagents yet? Curious to see how much reagent is leftover in those bottles when the empty notification triggers.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re getting close to having Tridents out in the wild for about two months now... anybody get empty notifications for the Ca and Mg reagents yet? Curious to see how much reagent is leftover in those bottles when the empty notification triggers.

I've been running a Trident and have done 3 or 4 reagent changes, there is always some reagent left. It has never seemed to be overly much left.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a Trident and have done 3 or 4 reagent changes, there is always some reagent left. It has never seemed to be overly much left.

Interesting... at what Alk, Ca and Mg levels do you keep your tanks? Seems people who run their Alk in the 8ish range are getting 1/3 or about 100 ml out of a 300 ml bottle of reagent leftover. I’m trying to guesstimate how many days one can stretch the reagent bottles within a safety margin as to not draw in air bubbles. The reagent kits coupled with shipping from Neptune Systems aren’t exactly inexpensive IMO.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... at what Alk, Ca and Mg levels do you keep your tanks? Seems people who run their Alk in the 8ish range are getting 1/3 or about 100 ml out of a 300 ml bottle of reagent leftover. I’m trying to guesstimate how many days one can stretch the reagent bottles within a safety margin as to not draw in air bubbles. The reagent kits coupled with shipping from Neptune Systems aren’t exactly inexpensive IMO.
My alk, was between 9 and 10 until about 2 months ago.
I have little interest in trying to stretch much in this hobby, as doing so means more work for me. I kinda think the point of automation is less work, and I don't want to be fretting for days that the unit might pull air. I am happy to change my GAC, GFO, DI resin and polyfilter before they are exhausted for the same reasons. YMMV

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 9.10.23 AM.png

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I’m all about trying to stretch out my budget as efficiently as possible between all of my expensive hobbies. Reefing, boating and fishing ain’t cheap! :D

U

User1

View Badges
What sort of container is used for waste? I was thinking about this the other day and how much frequency I would need to check it to make sure it isn't full. Or find a easy way to empty it.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of container is used for waste? I was thinking about this the other day and how much frequency I would need to check it to make sure it isn't full. Or find a easy way to empty it.
I use a 2 liter container I got Mg in. Drilled a hole in the lid. Gets about half full by the end of 2 months. Us a bigger container than you need so you don't have to worry.

U

User1

View Badges
I use a 2 liter container I got Mg in. Drilled a hole in the lid. Gets about half full by the end of 2 months. Us a bigger container than you need so you don't have to worry.

Thank you much. Appreciate it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... anybody else get the empty notification for B and C and measured how much is left yet?

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... anybody else get the empty notification for B and C and measured how much is left yet?
I got it yesterday after 45 days. I didn’t measure yet, but kept the bottles...had to go out of town for work. I can tell you A was almost full, while B and C didn’t have much.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it yesterday after 45 days. I didn’t measure yet, but kept the bottles...had to go out of town for work. I can tell you A was almost full, while B and C didn’t have much.

45 days!?! :eek: That’s a far cry from 2 months or 60 days. :( Thanks for the info.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 days!?! :eek: That’s a far cry from 2 months or 60 days. :( Thanks for the info.

Keep in mind that you don’t know how frequently he’s been testing. 60 days is only if you’re doing the minimal 4/2 test schedule. If he is testing more frequently then 45 days would be normal.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that you don’t know how frequently he’s been testing. 60 days is only if you’re doing the minimal 4/2 test schedule. If he is testing more frequently then 45 days would be normal.

Good point. @Caravanshaka - what is your testing frequency? Are you testing at the minimum frequency of 4/2/2 or more?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that Neptune represent the reagents as a 1 month supply - precisely because usage varies based on actual levels and frequency. My first A bottle lasted about 25 days and there was approximately 80 ml remaining.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that Neptune represent the reagents as a 1 month supply - precisely because usage varies based on actual levels and frequency. My first A bottle lasted about 25 days and there was approximately 80 ml remaining.

Understood on the A (Alk) reagent. My concern is Caravanshaka’s empty notifications on the B & C (Ca & Mg) reagents after just 45 days. Hence my inquiry for clarification on his testing frequency. It’s my understanding that reagents B & C should last about 2 months at the minimum testing frequency of 4/2/2.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense being that it uses titration. To everyone that has already gone through reagent a, what do you keep your alkalinity at?

in my mind, theoretically if you have a lower alkalinity, you are going to have more reagent left, opposed to somebody that's running a much higher alkalinity because it will need more reagent to test a higher alkalinity.

if everybody posts their alkalinity numbers, and the amount of reagent a left over, I think we could come to a conclusion.
Actually it doesn't really make sense. To be able to use titration, the machine has to know exactly how much was used in each test. So it should have the capability to calculate how much has been used to date and know how much reagent is left. So the 1/3 leftover reagent actually makes less sense.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it doesn't really make sense. To be able to use titration, the machine has to know exactly how much was used in each test. So it should have the capability to calculate how much has been used to date and know how much reagent is left. So the 1/3 leftover reagent actually makes less sense.

Remaining volume of reagent is a common feature among other alk testers and dosing pumps, maybe it'll get added in an update?

Edit - if it's tracking the amount of waste maybe it's counting it somewhere? Or the waste could be an estimate from # tests. As with everything else Trident, answers directly from the source would be appreciated :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back