• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Trident reagents alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am simply saying Neptune could deny any help and say the third party reagents caused the issue. They would likely sell you the parts still. Doesn't matter if the chemicals are the same though. Neptune can immediately blame something else and they likely will. There will be plenty of people who get these reagents while still under warranty.

I have no dog in the fight. I don't have a Trident and have zero plans to get one.
The first thing they do is look for others sources that could have caused a issue with there products before actually looking into there products. I’m sorry they check to see if it’s under warranty first.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing they do is look for others sources that could have caused a issue with there products before actually looking into there products. I’m sorry they check to see if it’s under warranty first.

With regards to the trident depending on the reason for the ticket you could be asked for reagent lot number. Issues not related to results is different. Tickets regarding results, well, good luck. They don't know anything about the aftermarket reagents so you could be on your own.

I have not heard anything from Neptune on this so it is any of our guess at this point.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to the trident depending on the reason for the ticket you could be asked for reagent lot number. Issues not related to results is different. Tickets regarding results, well, good luck. They don't know anything about the aftermarket reagents so you could be on your own.

I have not heard anything from Neptune on this so it is any of our guess at this point.
To be honest when I do send in my equipment I pay to get them fixed every time. Because there always out of warranty. If it comes down to them asking me what reagent I was using I would tell them after market regardless if they do or they don’t I’m asking them to fix it, I’m paying out of pocket

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things should raise questions to hobbyists such as combining of left over reagents and clear lack of understanding how dyes work. No expiration is also a concern. Most important is the comment that they work better. Is there any data to prove this? If so do they include the side by side test results along with methodology of testing?

Color me skeptical.

This is nothing more than reverse engineering and removing the middle layer from the cost. Started out at 79 bucks then lowered out of spite. Instead of money being return as royalties to promote further reagent based development it pretty much neutered that I'd wager.

I find it rather ironic too as hobbyist knowing going into test automation be it Trident or ION or other bot name here that reagent cost a factor. It is known going into it as part of run and maintain be it reagent, service, or probe replacement. Automated or manual testing.

Is ABC going to make Reef Factory Smart Tester reagents? Hanna reagents? Probes? I'm guessing not.
There is a lot wrong about your comments.
a. they are not dyes. They are chemicals that form a color read by a colorimeter. Some oxidize and some don't. A biochemist is familiar with which have long shelf lives or are reactive with air, or which dont.

b. Nobody said they work better. They should work the same.

c. Money returned as royalties would imply a patent. These tests and the reagents used to perform these tests have been around for decades. Nothing proprietary about them, no patent infringement. If I wanted to design similar, and make my reagents a subscription, I could simply change the quantities a little and adjust the way the data is interpreted at the end of the process.

d. ironic? maybe. Not unrealistic. This is how the free market works. I have a Tesla, but if I can save on parts, I would, even knowing that it is a luxury.

I personally like the fact that while they are paid handsomely for the innovation in equipment cost up front, they are not motivated to sit around collecting residuals without continuing innovation. If no competition exists, then all they need to do is produce the machine and get paid in perpetuity. Don't hate on the person for whom that isnt good enough. Let that manufacturer create and patent a new chemical for testing, then they deserve to be paid for that part until patents run out.

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest when I do send in my equipment I pay to get them fixed every time. Because there always out of warranty. If it comes down to them asking me what reagent I was using I would tell them after market regardless if they do or they don’t I’m asking them to fix it, I’m paying out of pocket
Ageed! It's your machine, you bought it, you own it, and if you want to run gasoline through it, it is yours. I would be honest and pay them as well.

BTW the win win of this is that I would not have bought a trident because I hate high residual costs. After seeing the lowered cost of the reagents, I bought a trident and the reagents are "worth it" to me. I would not have bought one if I had to pay the $220/ year forever. Neptune won, abc reagents won and I won.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ageed! It's your machine, you bought it, you own it, and if you want to run gasoline through it, it is yours. I would be honest and pay them as well.

BTW the win win of this is that I would not have bought a trident because I hate high residual costs. After seeing the lowered cost of the reagents, I bought a trident and the reagents are "worth it" to me. I would not have bought one if I had to pay the $220/ year forever. Neptune won, abc reagents won and I won.
You can cut residuals in half again if you test Ca/mg once a day and Alk twice a day.

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut residuals in half again if you test Ca/mg once a day and Alk twice a day.

Good point. I've seen that. Some good videos so even those of us that are less tech savvy are able to do it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for posting this link, when you mentioned it earlier I was wondering how to change it.
Do you see any negative effect from using the trident with less tests. I ask because I thought Neptune said that 2/4 was the minimum number of tests to make sure it remains consistent, although I’m guessing its probably not true.

OP
OP
Elitecorals

Elitecorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this link, when you mentioned it earlier I was wondering how to change it.
Do you see any negative effect from using the trident with less tests. I ask because I thought Neptune said that 2/4 was the minimum number of tests to make sure it remains consistent, although I’m guessing its probably not true.
I did not see any effect running from 4 times a day to 1 everyday, with my frags tank i have the trident test manually, so no different in testing value

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but thanks! I am about to run out and just placed an order with ABC. I’ll share before and after and see if there is any appreciable variations.

Eek, initial impressions don’t look great. I need to contact manufacturer to see if this is a problem (I.e. the leaks affecting concentrations, maybe?).

Reagents came packaged in a flimsy USPS box and half of a sheet of thin bubble wrap that protected only about 1/3 of the interior contents.

E976A62E-4C32-43F4-8B1F-820FAB06D638.jpeg
C30233A5-8A9A-40BB-AA0F-CFC473AE39F4.jpeg

E2142918-5CB2-434C-9FC5-55D78F0BB5BE.jpeg

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eek, initial impressions don’t look great. I need to contact manufacturer to see if this is a problem (I.e. the leaks affecting concentrations, maybe?).

Reagents came packaged in a flimsy USPS box and half of a sheet of thin bubble wrap that protected only about 1/3 of the interior contents.

E976A62E-4C32-43F4-8B1F-820FAB06D638.jpeg
C30233A5-8A9A-40BB-AA0F-CFC473AE39F4.jpeg

E2142918-5CB2-434C-9FC5-55D78F0BB5BE.jpeg
Those dont look anything like abc reagents I bought. The reagents I bought were same size and shape as the original. Not sure what those pictures are of.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those dont look anything like abc reagents I bought. The reagents I bought were same size and shape as the original. Not sure what those pictures are of.

Enlarge the image and you will see that it is the ABC logo. /shrug

Side note hope Neptune does one or two things. One put bar codes on the reagent box so hobbyist has to register it to end this. Or two come out and say they are ok with it.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved a 6 month supply shipment from them as well and the bottles look like what is pictured above. I too have some what looks like splashes on the bottles. I inspected each one and all lids are TIGHT and did not find any leeks. I think that what are on the outside of the bottles are from when they were filling? not sure. If this is the case a quick wipe down of the bottles would go a long was for QC. will see how they preform in about 2 weeks when I switch out the next set of reagent.
I look forward to seeing more options in products as competition leads to lower prices and more innovation.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did'tt say it was innovated I said that compitition leads to innovation. Oil is oil look at all the different brands of motor oil. Go to the grocery store you have a choice of what type of frozen veggies you have .If only one compamy produceing green beans the price of green beans would be higher.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did'tt say it was innovated I said that compitition leads to innovation. Oil is oil look at all the different brands of motor oil. Go to the grocery store you have a choice of what type of frozen veggies you have .If only one compamy produceing green beans the price of green beans would be higher.

Or lack of - this very well could end further reagent based automated testing. Just depends on how you look at it. I mean if you want to buy knock off Gucci Bag great. But know it is taking away from the creator of the product the reagents are used for. Like IP theft or scalping tickets. BTW the reagent cost has not gone up. In fact initial launch only 1 month kits are available then they later set them up in 6 month kits.

On the other hand one could use OEM / aftermarket auto parts as an example. The only difference is that aftermarket work with the original manufacture to make sure warranties are supported, proper fittings, in most cases (performance parts of course may vary). So I hear what you are saying but in this case there is no OEM / aftermarket interaction. If there is please share.

SLOfizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or lack of - this very well could end further reagent based automated testing. Just depends on how you look at it. I mean if you want to buy knock off Gucci Bag great. But know it is taking away from the creator of the product the reagents are used for. Like IP theft or scalping tickets. BTW the reagent cost has not gone up. In fact initial launch only 1 month kits are available then they later set them up in 6 month kits.

On the other hand one could use OEM / aftermarket auto parts as an example. The only difference is that aftermarket work with the original manufacture to make sure warranties are supported, proper fittings, in most cases (performance parts of course may vary). So I hear what you are saying but in this case there is no OEM / aftermarket interaction. If there is please share.
What world do you live in?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The bottles were rotated so you could see all of the leaked reagent. I’m not sure if there is anything implied by your uncertainty. Either way, this is just me sharing my experience.

Guess when I made the reagent change? I replaced them all at once.

I have not calibrated using their solution, yet. I wanted to see how consistent the readings were for reagent that are marketed as replacements.

I’ll share post calibration readings tomorrow.

9290F145-687E-4E60-B6F4-2E4B01FC0D3F.jpeg
DE4BF0C8-2138-4075-9D4B-4521A5DA080A.jpeg

1C55C8A9-C6E9-43D1-B466-29373BACCE7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back