Trident Thoughts

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am contemplating getting a Trident for automated testing and Calcium and Alk dosing (via DOS). First of all, I know how expensive this will be...so I already understand the cost. However, I will be stepping in to a new job soon which will involve frequent travel and the automation is very valuable to me (and worth the cost).

So what I am looking for is thoughts on the Trident and it's performance, accuracy, reliability and cost. I've read some posts that seem to indicate setup can be a bit of a pain in the &*$#.

Thanks!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, I am doing a comparison on the Trident and KHD...and hopefully soon the IOND...so I have knowledge of the Trident and KHD as I own them both.

Setting up the Trident was about as easy as it comes in truth. It took me all but about 5 minutes to do so. Its a very easy setup as you simply use the task wizard to set it up for you. I have been running my Trident for almost 2 years, up until recently when I had a few minor issues and shut it down to send it in. That sounds like a problem, BUT, it has been running for almost 2 years with only a few minor issues, so in reality, that is pretty solid for a measuring device. I have not had any major issue until this past week, and didn't realize it until now when I shut it down to send it in. I also used the Auto dosing and it was simple to setup as well. Is it 100 percent accurate, not likely, but, what is as we are not using Lab grade equipment to monitor our tanks.

Is the Trident worth the cost...YES...is it better than others...not sure yet.

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am contemplating getting a Trident for automated testing and Calcium and Alk dosing (via DOS). First of all, I know how expensive this will be...so I already understand the cost. However, I will be stepping in to a new job soon which will involve frequent travel and the automation is very valuable to me (and worth the cost).

So what I am looking for is thoughts on the Trident and it's performance, accuracy, reliability and cost. I've read some posts that seem to indicate setup can be a bit of a pain in the &*$#.

Thanks!
I have had it for 8 months without any issues. The automation of testing is a game changer for me and with my CaRX Alk stays within a 0.3 dkh window all the time. Changing reagents is easy through the task menu, you just have to make sure when you travel, that you have enough tests remaining until you come back. Normally it stops at 5 tests remaining and will not empty the reagent container. I have read several posts on the lack of accuracy after calibration, but the three times in these 8 months that I have compared it to my Salifert Alk test, its very close (less than 0.2 dkh difference). Calcium has been off when compared to my ICP testing by about 10%, but I only really monitor Alk for the CaRx management and Ca and Mg take care of themselves. With two part, I suspect the Ca number may be more relevant for you.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, I am doing a comparison on the Trident and KHD...and hopefully soon the IOND...so I have knowledge of the Trident and KHD as I own them both.

Setting up the Trident was about as easy as it comes in truth. It took me all but about 5 minutes to do so. Its a very easy setup as you simply use the task wizard to set it up for you. I have been running my Trident for almost 2 years, up until recently when I had a few minor issues as shut it down to send it in. That sounds like a problem, BUT, it has been running for almost 2 years with only a few minor issues, so in reality, that is pretty solid for a measuring device. I have not had any major issue until this past week, and didn't realize it until now when I shut it down to send it in. I also used the Auto dosing and it was simple to setup as well. Is it 100 percent accurate, not likely, but, what is as we are not using Lab grade equipment to monitor our tanks.

Is the Trident worth the cost...YES...is it better than others...not sure yet.
Nice. Very helpful! Thanks.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for about a month. Set up is very easy and I have no complaints with it so far. I have been testing 1-2 times a week to verify the results and it has been very close, every time.

Personally, i couldn’t have a reef tank without a trident, now that I have used one.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for 8 months without any issues. The automation of testing is a game changer for me and with my CaRX Alk stays within a 0.3 dkh window all the time. Changing reagents is easy through the task menu, you just have to make sure when you travel, that you have enough tests remaining until you come back. Normally it stops at 5 tests remaining and will not empty the reagent container. I have read several posts on the lack of accuracy after calibration, but the three times in these 8 months that I have compared it to my Salifert Alk test, its very close (less than 0.2 dkh difference). Calcium has been off when compared to my ICP testing by about 10%, but I only really monitor Alk for the CaRx management and Ca and Mg take care of themselves. With two part, I suspect the Ca number may be more relevant for you.
Awesome. Thanks! How often do you test? I think 4x a day is enough for me.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will likely see more negative reviews when researching. Not many people post when everything works the way it should but when something goes wrong people are more inclined to say something since it’s not cheap. With that being said I have had mine for almost a year and I love it. Made things so much easier especially with controlled dosing. So now instead of running tests when something is off all I have to do is open fusion and check my numbers. Just make sure if you do purchase DO NOT cut the black tubing. This will throw off your readings. Leave both hoses the length they were and position trident somewhere near the tank. Setup is so easy even a caveman can do it

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks! How often do you test? I think 4x a day is enough for me.
I test the default 4 times a day. Alk 4 times and Ca and Mg 2 times, I think. I would like the option of testing less in the automated version, but the 6 hour window is probably the max between reasonable adjustments of CO2 for my CaRx, so it works well.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for about a month. Set up is very easy and I have no complaints with it so far. I have been testing 1-2 times a week to verify the results and it has been very close, every time.

Personally, i couldn’t have a reef tank without a trident, now that I have used one.
That's what I'm thinking too...crtiical piece of equipment. Important to maintain stability for an SPS tank and especially helpful when I can't be there every day.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When you first start, test as much as possible till you get the auto dosing dialed in then decrease the number of times you test.

I'm testing 8 times a day for the first month till I see consistent readings and have dialed in my 2 parts dosing then planing on decreasing it to 4 times afterwards.

The more data you get starting off the better in my opinion.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Trident since June and am reasonably happy with it so far. Out of the box it didn’t work, but this was quickly rectified with Neptune support (a quick disassembly and reassembly resolved the issue with the camera not reading the water sample for whatever reason).

Testing results seem to be within the stated +/- margin for error, but what I’m most disappointed with is the inaccuracy of the Trident calibration fluid (new bottle with each batch of reagent). While alkalinity has been bang on, the calcium and magnesium component has been off by as much as +/-120ppm. This has been the case for 2 straight batches now.

As a result, I’ve had to fall back to using digital and titration testing of my tank to find the actual values - and then calibrate using tank water instead of the supplied Trident calibration fluid. So while there is a work-around, it’s a little disappointing that the calibration solution is so off.

Last edited:

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had mine for about 6 months and have had no complaints. I was using a reactor and went back to dosing so I felt the Trident with the Dos was key. Like you I travel and needed the ability to remotely adjust as I didn’t have anyone that was willing to manage my reactor if needed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I bought an Apex system just for the trident and controlled dosing and I don't regret it. I also will no longer use their calibration solution because it isn't even close to my other tests which I trust so I will also calibrate with my tanks water.
My only complaint with the unit itself is that when I change reagents I often get an error and I have to fiddle with the tubes to get it working again. I suspect I am kinking the lines when I slide the tray back in although I try to be careful not to.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident is overall good, and I don't regret my purchase, but it does have some caveats:

First, the set-up instructions will claim that you might not need to calibrate it. Don't believe that. Calibration is very important, and it's now something I do every time I change the reagents. Failing to calibrate can lead to some seriously out-of-whack results (my calcium was underreporting by over 100 ppm, for example).

Second, be very diligent about addressing any issues as they come up. Anything that leads to liquid sitting in the tubes without moving for more than about 24-48 hours can cause the liquids to crystallize within the tubing, leading to a blockage that you will need to partially disassemble the Trident to fix. It's not terribly hard to do, but it is a hassle.

Finally, reagent supplies have been an issue in the past. I try to maintain at least four months of supply at all time because of that. Don't let yourself get down to your final two-month supply before stocking up again.

And one second "finally" - if you're clumsy like me, be very careful as you're replacing the reagent bottles. The shelf they rest on is not terribly stable, and the sample tubing can pop out of the lid. It's no fun to spill a bottle of expensive reagent on the floor when you're trying to replace it.

ahuff25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trident has made reefing easier. I have had zero issues with it in the past year. Trident controlled dosing is really beneficial, keeps my Alk stable in my SPS tank and I never have to worry about it.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine nearly crashed my tank 3 times, perhaps I had a lemon, but I'm not giving it another chance. I set up trident controlled dosing, it spiked my alk 8-10 in an afternoon until I just shut off the power to my DOS. Then, I was honestly happy with it for about 6-8 months.

Finally it just lost all testing accuracy, constantly drifting and giving just false numbers. I sold it on the cheap since I didn't want to deal with it. I was having to consistently manually test to see how far off my trident was testing that day, which defeats the purpose of auto testing anyways.

I will say, it seems my experience isn't common, but I'm not happy about $2,000+ in dead corals due to alk swings or false test results leading to improper dosing. When the entry to ownership is $1100+ with a $20 a month reagent "subscription," I expect it to work. Also was not a fan how they initially hid that it was expected to send your trident in yearly or so for $100 to maintain it. It was just cost after cost racking up for something that, ultimately, was not doing its job.

Neptune has rubbed me the wrong way in recent years, and have even called me out on another forum for choosing to sell my trident instead of spending the $100+ to send it back and get diagnosed/repaired as they commented there was no repair tickets for a trident under my name.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only complaint with the unit itself is that when I change reagents I often get an error and I have to fiddle with the tubes to get it working again. I suspect I am kinking the lines when I slide the tray back in although I try to be careful not to.
There’s someone (or a company, can’t remember) that 3D prints these flat cones that fit under the cap in the reagent bottle to hold the metal tube straight. Not sure if this would help, but it might be something to try.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s someone (or a company, can’t remember) that 3D prints these flat cones that fit under the cap in the reagent bottle to hold the metal tube straight. Not sure if this would help, but it might be something to try.
I printed and installed a set of the needle guides when I first got it. There is also a 3d design someone made that goes on top of the caps to keep the lines facing in the correct direction when you slide the tray back in, I think I'm going to print and try those next.
I think I'm pinching the lines between the bottles and the pumps.

There is actually someone who 3d printed a housing to hold the bottles on the outside of the unit, which I would do but they also take the trident apart and mount the internals into a smaller box. I've considered doing it but I'm a little nervous about taking it apart and putting the components into a new housing. Maybe sometime I'll print it and do it, I can't image it's that hard to take apart, although I guarantee it'll void any warranty.
Screenshot_20210909-091433_Chrome.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back