Trident vs Alkatronic vs KH Director vs kh guardian

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record no one was fighting. The discussion was friendly and between users...

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have $5,000 invested already in a system and may only get a fraction of that money back are you going to switch? I think the foundation matters unless it is something disposable. It doesn't matter which brand you have, it matters be it an aquarium system or a home entertainment system. It matters when we are talking about the investment. At least that is what I was trying to call out. I very well could have failed or we can just disagree which is also fine. Just saying that is what I mean about ecosystem.
100% agreed

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the title of the thread is wrong. It says trident vs. alkatronic vs. kh-director vs. kh-guardian. Title alone leads me to believe we are in a fight club and leads me to believe it is nothing to do with user data. Not trying to nit pick but nothing in it leads me to believe otherwise but I'm probably in the minority here.
If you read my opening statement I am searching for information from users about these products with hopes to make a decision. I am open to changing the title because I don’t want arguing, rather user information.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read my opening statement I am searching for information from users about these products with hopes to make a decision. I am open to changing the title because I don’t want arguing, rather user information.
I would not change. If a vendor or 2 have problem with users sharing openion and data it's too bad. But come on

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim, your (mis)interpretation is very interesting, to say the least.
I am sure the reader here understands exactly my intension when I gave some examples for reasons of inaccuracy. If and which of these factors apply is a different story.
That you have another technology does not mean that there are no error sources. Anyone with a scientific background will agree.

As said, we have also a high internal resolution, we can easily print similar nice charts with as many digits as you like.

But let's see what the customer says - as soon as there are enough of your products shipped.

Sorry, I am not going to start a debate on that level, I'll leave this to others. All said what needs to be said.

Matthias, I encourage you to go back and read your original post. I do not think Jim would have hopped on here to comment had you not taken the stand and the tone you did. It's quite possible that something is lost in the language and translation so I will give you the benefit of the doubt there.

However, you cannot expect to jump on to a thread like this, drop a bomb, and then at the moment someone challenges you say you "are not going to start a debate on that level" whatever that means.

We absolutely will see how customers feel in the months and years ahead. I do believe at least with the Trident we will also actually have the volume numbers to have some statistical significance. With the kH Director - not so sure. But that's OK. I think it is a reasonably good solution and alternative - albeit with its own set of design shortcomings.

I do encourage you though to re-read that original comment - it does come off as if you are saying Neptune Systems, Jim, Reeftronic/Alkatronic, and Jonas are dishonest and deceptive.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problems with these type threads is that they always turn into a chevy vs ford argument. You always will have people that will try and convince you one way or the other which is why I said that you have to shift thru the clutter to see what you believe is the truth. I personally have a Apex and love it, but I am also exploring the idea of switching to GHL because of some of the technology they have coming out that peaks my interest.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry -- I only spoke out after Matthias essentially accused all the other vendors of dishonesty. I felt that that needed to be addressed. Also, know that I do not speak for Neptune Systems. I, for one, welcome user data! I'll bow out now.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using GHL products since 1 year now after switching from Apex to Profilux. (Due new Apex Energy bar not being sold in schuko plug).
The Kh director has been running since then with 4 tests/day and I can only say that I am very satisfied with it and it's low maintenance/calibration that it requires.
I use the reference solution 7.5dkh to test the accuracy time to time and until now it's being running like a Swiss watch .

I highly recommend the Kh Director

upload_2019-6-1_19-33-10.png

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry -- I only spoke out after Matthias essentially accused all the other vendors of dishonesty. I felt that that needed to be addressed. Also, know that I do not speak for Neptune Systems. I, for one, welcome user data! I'll bow out now.
I appreciate your insight!!

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matthias, I encourage you to go back and read your original post. I do not think Jim would have hopped on here to comment had you not taken the stand and the tone you did. It's quite possible that something is lost in the language and translation so I will give you the benefit of the doubt there.

However, you cannot expect to jump on to a thread like this, drop a bomb, and then at the moment someone challenges you say you "are not going to start a debate on that level" whatever that means.

We absolutely will see how customers feel in the months and years ahead. I do believe at least with the Trident we will also actually have the volume numbers to have some statistical significance. With the kH Director - not so sure. But that's OK. I think it is a reasonably good solution and alternative - albeit with its own set of design shortcomings.

I do encourage you though to re-read that original comment - it does come off as if you are saying Neptune Systems, Jim, Reeftronic/Alkatronic, and Jonas are dishonest and deceptive.

You tell him @Terence, lol. We can all have constructive criticism and not take it to heart. Heck we are all adults here I hope.

Every single product currently on the market has something that the end-user will not like. We just have to weight the good with the bad and decide from that point.

That is what the original poster is after, more info to make an informed decision.

U

User1

View Badges
The biggest problems with these type threads is that they always turn into a chevy vs ford argument. You always will have people that will try and convince you one way or the other which is why I said that you have to shift thru the clutter to see what you believe is the truth. I personally have a Apex and love it, but I am also exploring the idea of switching to GHL because of some of the technology they have coming out that peaks my interest.

Ford guy here! J/k (no, not really although I sold my Mustang GT/PP last year) but I always respected, and loved, talking to the other gear heads regardless of what they drove. Well said btw.

U

User1

View Badges

Np, all good. Thank you for clarity.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using GHL products since 1 year now after switching from Apex to Profilux. (Due new Apex Energy bar not being sold in schuko plug).
The Kh director has been running since then with 4 tests/day and I can only say that I am very satisfied with it and it's low maintenance/calibration that it requires.
I use the reference solution 7.5dkh to test the accuracy time to time and until now it's being running like a Swiss watch .

I highly recommend the Kh Director

upload_2019-6-1_19-33-10.png
Have you had any pump failure during the year?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking us back on topic.
Here is my stability and accuracy test I did this morning on my khg.
This is testing a bucket of my water multiple times consecutively. A brand new salifert tested my actual kh as ~7.5
4f28bb362824b386caa509973611abdd.jpg
To clarify the result I posted is on 2 years old unit. Beside the reagent I have spent annual ~30$ a year for tube changes and a float all I was able to do at home fairly easy.
There was some upgrades from the vendor I added to the 2nd unit not this one yet since it's working great.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify the result I posted is on 2 years old unit. Beside the reagent I have spent annual ~30$ a year for tube changes and a float all I was able to do at home fairly easy.
There was some upgrades from the vendor I added to the 2nd unit not this one yet since it's working great.

I think it is safe to say that mostly all the units on the market will measure the same doing this type of test. This ultimately comes down to what you like. Do you want dKH/calcium/magnesium in Fusion, get the Trident when you can. If you only want dKH, get one of the dKH units that fits your needs and fulfill the checkboxes that help you make the decision. No one can sway the decision for you. It is something that we all ultimately have to decide. Absolutely other input help, but most of the time we already have our decision and sometimes look for confirmation.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is safe to say that mostly all the units on the market will measure the same doing this type of test. This ultimately comes down to what you like. Do you want dKH/calcium/magnesium in Fusion, get the Trident when you can. If you only want dKH, get one of the dKH units that fits your needs and fulfill the checkboxes that help you make the decision. No one can sway the decision for you. It is something that we all ultimately have to decide. Absolutely other input help, but most of the time we already have our decision and sometimes look for confirmation.
Do not be so sure. Test then judge.
I think this test reveals alot.
This is as control of environment as you can do in home setting.
To me this is a base line.
If the equipment have reproducible data that's base line check.
After that comes drift and aging impact of the equipment which basically is how long an equipment can reproduce repeatable data in a conteoller enviroment.
If after 3 months of usage as an example data is diffrent that means equipment is aging and drifting.

Another way is to use reference kh solution.
Like what we do with salifert kits or with salinity test to check if the the test equipment is still accurate.

Last edited:

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the motor ? No issue at all.
Just got at the begining the original caps that came with the first units changed free of charged to the v2 version0and since then pump is running without any issue.

Do you mean motor issue ? Not at all.
I got roller stuck at the very beginning with the original caps that came with the unit.
Then I got the new V2 caps provided (free of charge) by GHL and since then no issue at all.
I really like the unit, it is very quiet and accurate. I am just awaiting for the ION one now :)
60594732_2779380352079411_3385368105462005760_n.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this has become an informative thread and a bit SPICY. A few years ago it was the Great Marine-Pure Debate and now its automatic testing and ALK control. This is an Awesome time and I am excited to see what comes next. BTW My Dog Is Bigger ;)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back