mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not be so sure. Test then judge.
I think this test reveals alot.
This is as control of environment as you can do in home setting.
To me this is a base line.
If the equipment have reproducible data that's base line check.
After that comes drift and aging impact of the equipment which basically is how long an equipment can reproduce repeatable data in a conteoller enviroment.
If after 3 months of usage as an example data is diffrent that means equipment is aging and drifting.

Another way is to use reference kh solution.
Like what we do with salifert kits or with salinity test to check if the the test equipment is still accurate.

Maybe one day I'll do something like this with my Alkatronic just to check, but I am comfortable enough with it to do the standard Hanna checker test every once in a while. Although I trust the numbers, I trust more what I see with my own eyes looking at my fish tank. SO far so good so no complaints besides it can always be better.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that we are saying the extra decimal digit is worthy of debate. ;)

Online dosing tools seem to have issues with that extra digit or do not support it at all, so regardless people would be rounding up or down.

upload_2019-6-2_11-5-27.png
brs two.png

The KH Director is .1 and the Trident is .o5. Until a reference fluid comes out like users have with the GHL KH Director we will not actually know the true variation of the Trident :).

I think we need to have an article on what an acceptable swing is for alkalinity Because I believe .5 is realistic, do I think my coral will care that it is .5 or .55 I do not think so :).

Users should be choosing the product that meets there needs, regardless of the brand and not be tied to any one brand due to the controller they may be running on his/her tank.

There are some stark differences between the GHL KH Director and Neptune Trident, and it hard to compare an apple to an orange as one does Alkalinity only while one does Alkalinity, Mag and Cal. Just because the Trident is doing the other two test does not automatically make it 100% better then the other product. For some it will be an added benefit and for others a hindrance as they may not want to test all three. Some would argue we should, because dosing pumps may fail or Calcium reactor may run into issues etc. and the Trident can detect those issues, but we all know Alkalinity being stable is key. It all depends on what your trying to achieve and the price to do it. For me I test all three weekly as part of my normal tank maintenance even though I monitor and adjust automatically alkalinity, CA and Mag. I still have the good old test kits and log them each and every weekend.

Sales volume is also not a indication also that a device is more successful. Just because Online Stores are not selling more GHL KH Directors then Tridents or Alkatronic does not mean anything. Both of the competitor manufactures came out 18+ months before the Trident, some sell directly, and throwing that type of jab is just asking for a debate. Both GHL, and Alkatronic have over 18 months worth of tweaking, data , sales, and real world customer use behind them. Only after 12-18 months of real world users using the Trident will we have any indication what the the final costs will be. along with stability and reliability of the product with the data and user feedback to support it.

But, we do have some real world data that we can already compare and that the cost of testing. :)

I have two GHL KH Directors, both running now over 18 months. I have yet to replace the probes, (Calibrate them every 6 months), one tank is being tested 12 times a day the other is 6 times. My only Consumption(AKA Cost) on both of the units is 10 bottles of 1000 ML solution at the cost of approx $300 (Bought them all on sale).

I went through 7 bottles on my one tank or 7000 ML. With daily testing on one tank 24 times a day for 3 months = 2160 Tests and 15 months at 12 test per day = 5,460 tests so a total in 18 months of 7,620 test or .027 a test or 3 cents (Round up :)).

We can roughly calculate the Trident cost using the chart below that was posted in the forums, and if I am wrong using the below please let me know :)

Trident reagent consumption:
4/2/2 - 60 Days - Default Testing Schedule
6/3/3 - 45 Days
8/4/4 - 30 Days
12/6/6 - 20 Days
24/12/12 - 10 Days

So I would be going through every 10 days for the first three months of testing a total of 9 Kits or $396 dollars then approx 22 kits for the remaining period of time or $988 dollars. This is for a total of $1,384 .1816 per test or 18 cents per test. :)

Tank 2 which is my newer tank is at 6 test per day, 6570 test over the course of 18 months. I went through 3 Bottles (Really more like 2.70 but we will say 3) at a cost of $90.00 or .013 per test rounding this up to 2 cents per test.

Doing it with the Trident at 12/6/6 I would need approx 12 regent kits at the cost of $546 or .083 or 8 cents per test.

The KH Director on the one tank cost me approx $210 for the last 18 months. to run. The Trident would have cost me $1384. If the reagent consumption above are correct from the post on the Trident, I could replace the KH Director for $849 during the 18 months and still be ahead. Worst case scenario for maintenance, I have to replace all 4 dosing heads, and a PH probe. Those cost would be $75 for the PH Probe, $20 for the reference solution, $60 Dollars per Dosing Head or $240 for all 4 heads, $31.00 for new dosing caps which is a total of $366 in parts, plus the $210 on the solution = $576 worse case which is $800 less then the Trident.

Some other things I believe that can already be compared some even pointed out in this thread and others:
Trident minimal testing per day is 4 while the KH Director you can set to 1 per day
The input water sample tube length and water sample is dynamic on the KH Director
KH director does not require a controller to operate the Trident does
KH director has a reference solution so one could check the unit if they wish
I believe the Trident R2D2 noise will be more then the KH Director (Soon to see :))
GHL .1 compare to a Trident .05 (Trident reads an extra decimal digit down)
Maintenance on the KH is done by the user, unlike the Trident you ship it in.
With the KH director your dosing container is what you want it to be, the bottle or a Dosing container itself. You are not limited to liek you are on the Trident Unit, it what it comes with and fits inside the unit. Both monitor the solution amounts and both alert and notify when they run low. alerted upon if it runs low.
Trident does dynamic adjustment based on day and night alkalinity consumption, the GHL adaptive settings are throughout the day and night and do not differentiate between night and day.
Trident come with a calibration solution with each reagent package sold.
Both log the results on graphs of there respective devices, alert respectively will stop adaptive dosing if they fall out of tolerance.

I plan to do a KH director and Trident comparison, I was going to wait for the ION so it could be apples to apples but it going to have to start as apples and oranges then grow into apples vrs apples :)

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that we are saying the extra decimal digit is worthy of debate. ;)

Online dosing tools seem to have issues with that extra digit or do not support it at all, so regardless people would be rounding up or down.

upload_2019-6-2_11-5-27.png
brs two.png

The KH Director is .1 and the Trident is .o5. Until a reference fluid comes out like users have with the GHL KH Director we will not actually know the true variation of the Trident :).

I think we need to have an article on what an acceptable swing is for alkalinity Because I believe .5 is realistic, do I think my coral will care that it is .5 or .55 I do not think so :).

Users should be choosing the product that meets there needs, regardless of the brand and not be tied to any one brand due to the controller they may be running on his/her tank.

There are some stark differences between the GHL KH Director and Neptune Trident, and it hard to compare an apple to an orange as one does Alkalinity only while one does Alkalinity, Mag and Cal. Just because the Trident is doing the other two test does not automatically make it 100% better then the other product. For some it will be an added benefit and for others a hindrance as they may not want to test all three. Some would argue we should, because dosing pumps may fail or Calcium reactor may run into issues etc. and the Trident can detect those issues, but we all know Alkalinity being stable is key. It all depends on what your trying to achieve and the price to do it. For me I test all three weekly as part of my normal tank maintenance even though I monitor and adjust automatically alkalinity, CA and Mag. I still have the good old test kits and log them each and every weekend.

Sales volume is also not a indication also that a device is more successful. Just because Online Stores are not selling more GHL KH Directors then Tridents or Alkatronic does not mean anything. Both of the competitor manufactures came out 18+ months before the Trident, some sell directly, and throwing that type of jab is just asking for a debate. Both GHL, and Alkatronic have over 18 months worth of tweaking, data , sales, and real world customer use behind them. Only after 12-18 months of real world users using the Trident will we have any indication what the the final costs will be. along with stability and reliability of the product with the data and user feedback to support it.

But, we do have some real world data that we can already compare and that the cost of testing. :)

I have two GHL KH Directors, both running now over 18 months. I have yet to replace the probes, (Calibrate them every 6 months), one tank is being tested 12 times a day the other is 6 times. My only Consumption(AKA Cost) on both of the units is 10 bottles of 1000 ML solution at the cost of approx $300 (Bought them all on sale).

I went through 7 bottles on my one tank or 7000 ML. With daily testing on one tank 24 times a day for 3 months = 2160 Tests and 15 months at 12 test per day = 5,460 tests so a total in 18 months of 7,620 test or .027 a test or 3 cents (Round up :)).

We can roughly calculate the Trident cost using the chart below that was posted in the forums, and if I am wrong using the below please let me know :)

Trident reagent consumption:
4/2/2 - 60 Days - Default Testing Schedule
6/3/3 - 45 Days
8/4/4 - 30 Days
12/6/6 - 20 Days
24/12/12 - 10 Days

So I would be going through every 10 days for the first three months of testing a total of 9 Kits or $396 dollars then approx 22 kits for the remaining period of time or $988 dollars. This is for a total of $1,384 .1816 per test or 18 cents per test. :)

Tank 2 which is my newer tank is at 6 test per day, 6570 test over the course of 18 months. I went through 3 Bottles (Really more like 2.70 but we will say 3) at a cost of $90.00 or .013 per test rounding this up to 2 cents per test.

Doing it with the Trident at 12/6/6 I would need approx 12 regent kits at the cost of $546 or .083 or 8 cents per test.

The KH Director on the one tank cost me approx $210 for the last 18 months. to run. The Trident would have cost me $1384. If the reagent consumption above are correct from the post on the Trident, I could replace the KH Director for $849 during the 18 months and still be ahead. Worst case scenario for maintenance, I have to replace all 4 dosing heads, and a PH probe. Those cost would be $75 for the PH Probe, $20 for the reference solution, $60 Dollars per Dosing Head or $240 for all 4 heads, $31.00 for new dosing caps which is a total of $366 in parts, plus the $210 on the solution = $576 worse case which is $800 less then the Trident.

Some other things I believe that can already be compared some even pointed out in this thread and others:
Trident minimal testing per day is 4 while the KH Director you can set to 1 per day
The input water sample tube length and water sample is dynamic on the KH Director
KH director does not require a controller to operate the Trident does
KH director has a reference solution so one could check the unit if they wish
I believe the Trident R2D2 noise will be more then the KH Director (Soon to see :))
GHL .1 compare to a Trident .05 (Trident reads an extra decimal digit down)
Maintenance on the KH is done by the user, unlike the Trident you ship it in.
With the KH director your dosing container is what you want it to be, the bottle or a Dosing container itself. You are not limited to liek you are on the Trident Unit, it what it comes with and fits inside the unit. Both monitor the solution amounts and both alert and notify when they run low. alerted upon if it runs low.
Trident does dynamic adjustment based on day and night alkalinity consumption, the GHL adaptive settings are throughout the day and night and do not differentiate between night and day.
Trident come with a calibration solution with each reagent package sold.
Both log the results on graphs of there respective devices, alert respectively will stop adaptive dosing if they fall out of tolerance.

I plan to do a KH director and Trident comparison, I was going to wait for the ION so it could be apples to apples but it going to have to start as apples and oranges then grow into apples vrs apples :)

Nice post. You are definitely correct in the overall reagent cost for the Trident are going to be prohibitive/exorbitant for some. If I ever purchase a Trident, it would have to remain on the 4/2/2 schedule which isn't enough so that is why I have decided not to get one at this time even when available. I am like you where I am test my tank at least 12 times a day. Cost doesn't even cross my mind doing so with the Alkatronic because the reagent last soo freaking long.

I think that it is safe to say that the OP isn't considering the Trident at this point.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice post. You are definitely correct in the overall reagent cost for the Trident are going to be prohibitive/exorbitant for some. If I ever purchase a Trident, it would have to remain on the 4/2/2 schedule which isn't enough so that is why I have decided not to get one at this time even when available. I am like you where I am test my tank at least 12 times a day. Cost doesn't even cross my mind doing so with the Alkatronic because the reagent last soo freaking long.

I think that it is safe to say that the OP isn't considering the Trident at this point.
As I have read through all the feedback my mind went to this, I want to test 6x day at first, then eventually if needed go down to 3x day for noise and sleep. I want to be able to set my testing times, I want to be able to easily do maintenance on it. I want access through WiFi without plugging it into a router. I want to test other elements but just daily/weekly, space is a big concern as I just have the room under the sump to work with. I am clearly invested in apex but am open to mixing things up. I am close to going on vacation so not adding anything for now.
The trident seems like it’s the easiest to setup, would fit best under my sump, integrates in my system but I have concerns about being locked into 4x day.
The kh Director fits all my needs but mounting is going to be tricky, the ion Director makes this more interesting.
The Alkatronic integrates with my apex but is the largest of the systems.
The kh guardian although seems nice just doesn’t fit for me.

436D155C-84D1-4837-BE6D-39FE71B4DDF7.jpeg

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have read through all the feedback my mind went to this, I want to test 6x day at first, then eventually if needed go down to 3x day for noise and sleep. I want to be able to set my testing times, I want to be able to easily do maintenance on it. I want access through WiFi without plugging it into a router. I want to test other elements but just daily/weekly, space is a big concern as I just have the room under the sump to work with. I am clearly invested in apex but am open to mixing things up. I am close to going on vacation so not adding anything for now.
The trident seems like it’s the easiest to setup, would fit best under my sump, integrates in my system but I have concerns about being locked into 4x day.
The kh Director fits all my needs but mounting is going to be tricky, the ion Director makes this more interesting.

Btw I thought you been on a waiting list for a trident 2 weeks or so now....did that change?
I agree with you look like trident is the right option for you, if moutning khd is a problem. though I would think both khd and trident require some space to accommodate.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I thought you been on a waiting list for a trident 2 weeks or so now....did that change?
I agree with you look like trident is the right option for you, if moutning khd is a problem. though I would think both khd and trident require some space to accommodate.
Yeah there is a store that put me on the list but that would be 4-6 more weeks at least, no preorder so I am not obligated. I am thinking of maybe a small shelf in there to accommodate the Director whereas The trident would fit perfectly in the bottom left corner.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What does the tank look like on the areas around it

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah.....just take out the dishwasher and you can fit a trident in there...
Lol why didn’t I think of that :). I actually have a 17x4.5 in the bottom left corner.
The trident is supposed to be 12x4.25
My other option is move the eb4 on the right and install a shelf for the director

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I would like to see an operating cost comparison of all units as some have started to do.

I really wanted a Trident but have really cooled down after realizing that the reagent costs were going to run me 270 $/yr and then there’s the whole send-in maintenance thing that’s still to be defined.

I know some like to test Alk many times a day and that’s fine, but for me, I’d be happy with once or twice a day and would love to see a cost of operation with the minimum number of test per day allowed for all the units. Based on what I’ve read here so far, Alkatronic seems to be the better option for me based on the less expensive reagents and integration with Apex, especially if it goes on sale as the competition heats up.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I would like to see an operating cost comparison of all units as some have started to do.

I really wanted a Trident but have really cooled down after realizing that the reagent costs were going to run me 270 $/yr and then there’s the whole send-in maintenance thing that’s still to be defined.

I know some like to test Alk many times a day and that’s fine, but for me, I’d be happy with once or twice a day and would love to see a cost of operation with the minimum number of test per day allowed for all the units. Based on what I’ve read here so far, Alkatronic seems to be the better option for me based on the less expensive reagents and integration with Apex, especially if it goes on sale as the competition heats up.

For testing that insignificant amount of times per day any unit on the market that test dKH and allows you set the number will work.

Honestly do not think cost should really be the deciding factor at the point. Should really come down to which fits your space and has the cost of entry price point you desire. Also consider support.

Your looking at less than $0.05 per test for those units that aren’t the Trident.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For testing that insignificant amount of times per day any unit on the market that test dKH and allows you set the number will work.

Honestly do not think cost should really be the deciding factor at the point. Should really come down to which fits your space and has the cost of entry price point you desire. Also consider support.

Your looking at less than $0.05 per test for those units that aren’t the Trident.
What does the back of the Alkatronic look like? Does it have brackets on it? I have figured a possible way for space for it if so.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the back of the Alkatronic look like? Does it have brackets on it? I have figured a possible way for space for it if so.

The bracket is about 3.5" long and you just screw it on and put the Alkatronic on it. If you can fit the Alkatronic there, you'll definitely be able to fit the mounting bracket.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much emphasis is being placed one the “cost per test”, which is a few pennies - true it doesn’t sound like much. But that quickly adds up to hundreds of dollars a year when the minimum is 8 tests/day for a unit like the trident (4/2/2).

Each reefer must decide what factors are important in making the decision of which unit to buy. Space is irrelevant to me since I have plenty of it. For others that may not be the case.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much emphasis is being placed one the “cost per test”, which is a few pennies - true it doesn’t sound like much. But that quickly adds up to hundreds of dollars a year when the minimum is 8 tests/day for a unit like the trident (4/2/2).

Each reefer must decide what factors are important in making the decision of which unit to buy. Space is irrelevant to me since I have plenty of it. For others that may not be the case.
The minimum for each are 1 for kh director, 2 for Alkatronic, 4 for kh guardian, 8 (4/2/2) for trident.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bracket is about 3.5" long and you just screw it on and put the Alkatronic on it. If you can fit the Alkatronic there, you'll definitely be able to fit the mounting bracket.
If you get time do you mind sharing a picture? Also does it require monthly calibration to stay accurate?

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question but if one is running an Apex controller system, is there a way to use and integrate with the KH Director?

I think I’ve read that the KH director can be used as a stand-alone unit (please correct me if wrong). What I’d ideally like to do is to be able to view my Alk test results in Fusion and be able to control my Ca Rx.

From my current understanding (and looking for help in clarifying):
- Trident: obvious best integration with Apex
- Alkatronic: can visualize Alk results via BNC connection and then control/program in Apex
- KH guardian: believe one can visualize Alk results and then control/program in Apex - is this true?
- KH Director: can use as standalone (true?) but not visualize results in Fusion

Since I already have an Apex (classic version which I would need to upgrade if I go the Trident route), a key decision factor to me is to be able to track and control Alk via Fusion.

Cheers

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back