Tried to help, now I give up on trying

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many threads of trying to help some people and those people just don’t listen.

Some folks, “My fish died, why?”

Us, “What’s your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. How old is tank? What are you using as for water, salt?

Some folks “ 0,0,0 or I need to go buy kits. I’ll get back to you”, “Tap water and water softener salt, Rock salt, Pool salt, why does it mater salt is salt.”

Me, “ DOH”.... throws hands in the air as if the poster could see me..

Way to many posts similar to the above. I wish I could make this up.. but I can’t. I start trying to help folks but when they start telling you that they have used Pool salt or Rock salt for their tank.. It blows my mind. Others try to help but they just keep going down a path of weird. You gotta wonder if you’re getting trolled. Nope, they are serious.

Anyway, just tired of trying to help and getting told.. Nah.. Going to do it my way anyway.
What’s wrong with rock salt?
We use it on the road s and they do ok

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve learned you gotta pick your battles so to speak.
Some people are so stubborn they just want to be told they are right, but there are others who are genuinely looking for real help as well.
Telling those two apart is sometimes difficult tho for sure

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember not too long ago when eating Tide Pods became a thing? People can be incredibly stupid.
Whoa, wait, what? You mean you can eat Tide Pods? That's awesome, Now I know whats for lunch today!

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many threads of trying to help some people and those people just don’t listen.

Us, “What’s your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. How old is tank? What are you using as for water, salt?

Some folks “ 0,0,0 or I need to go buy kits. I’ll get back to you”, “Tap water and water softener salt, Rock salt, Pool salt, why does it mater salt is salt.”

Way to many posts similar to the above. I wish I could make this up.. but I can’t. I start trying to help folks but when they start telling you that they have used Pool salt or Rock salt for their tank.. It blows my mind. Others try to help but they just keep going down a path of weird. You gotta wonder if you’re getting trolled. Nope, they are serious.

Anyway, just tired of trying to help and getting told.. Nah.. Going to do it my way anyway.
I think some people get into the reef hobby thinking it will be easy. So they come here and ask a few questions, totally cool, but once they realize this hobby is expensive and more attention is needed then what you thought, they probably give up. That could be a reason why they dont respond or follow up.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, I get where you are coming from. I was condemned earlier this week because the newbie wanted to reinvent the way things are done and didnt want to hear any ideas except his own. Then with 7 reefs I am not qualified to answer a reef question - I TOO QUIT!!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can eat them.

High possibility you just might not survive the challenge. lol.
I hear they are delicious sprinkled with a little pool salt! You can do anything once... right?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has a different learning style, some by reading, some by doing, some by failing and not repeating.

Now heres a gif of a bear fight. We all said it was a “bad idea”. But charles will be charles.

D71139DD-96CD-4CE8-9F9E-425A5FB40FFD.gif

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Take a break for a while. It can be frustrating. Keep in mind though, often times they're getting advice from a bunch of different sources. Hard to tell who's giving the good vs bad advice.

I usually offer my advice and if they go on to willful ignorance I just move on and try to find someone who will listen.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what we see here isn't just limited to reefing... it's with everything we do in this world.

I work in the legal system. The exact same crazy reasoning gets brought into the courtroom. You can only help people that will listen.

But plenty of folks here do listen. Just learn to ignore the ones that don't.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are all trying to keep sea life alive somewhere other than the sea. It always has to be provided with certain things to live. There may be many ways to provide those things, but we all end up doing the same things eventually to be successful. It is not my way that matters. It is what the sea life has to have to live.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get the drama. Do the best you can do everyday and let the chips fall where they may. The info is at anyone's finger tips. I help people anyway I can, but ultimately it's up to them.
tenor-4.gif

Last edited:

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also doesn't help that these threads, seem to get a lot of traffic and those written by people how actually do need help tends to be overlooked

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back