Trigger feeding advice

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the sea they eat small fish but they can handle fish about a quarter of their length. I would feed him clams every day.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is with niger triggers. Ive had 2 both in reef systems. The first was in a soft coral reef withe shrimps crabs and hermits along with many fish. It grew to be 7 inches and never bothered anything. The second was in a mixed reef with the same inverts and a mix of fish. Occasionally inverts disappeared along with small fish. That trigger was no bigger than 3 inches. My feeding schedule wasnt always daily. Some times id be gone for up to 4 days. I assume that caused it to be more predatory, even though the disappearance didnt necessarily correlate with the lack of feeding.

Both would eat any prepared, frozen ,flake ,pellet. Both would charge the glass, whenever u entered the room. Both would attempt to hand feed which is a scary thought with those fangs lol! Once it settles in i believe you will find it to be a very active and brave fish. Good luck, and be cautious on what you add to your system as far as size ect. Depending on the trigger it may or may not start choosing its own menu.

cobast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fed actual shrimp (like, frozen from the supermarket - of course thawed!)
If you feed your fish frozen seafood from the supermarket you need to check the packaging. Whilst it may be different here in Australia, many packs (imported) come with a warning that it is not to be used for feeding of your fish. It has some additive which is ok for us but not our fish.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We make a food specifically for Trigger, Puffers, eels, etc. using fresh Carolina sourced seafood. We process everything in house and supplement with fatty acids, beta carotene and active probiotics. You can search our dealer map at LRSFoods.com to locate a retailer rear you.

This is the blend I would recommend, or even our Fish Frenzy blend if this is too chunky. Good luck!

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/lrs-chunky.html

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean Nutrition Trigger Formula : Sea urchin, pollock, mysis shrimp, plankton, squid, mussels, salmon eggs... http://www.oceannutrition.com/frozen-foods-detail/trigger-formula
1439503084.png

Great, thank you! I'll look for this. I don't think I've seen it at the petstore last time, but I'll definitely try to get this

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We make a food specifically for Trigger, Puffers, eels, etc. using fresh Carolina sourced seafood. We process everything in house and supplement with fatty acids, beta carotene and active probiotics. You can search our dealer map at LRSFoods.com to locate a retailer rear you.

This is the blend I would recommend, or even our Fish Frenzy blend if this is too chunky. Good luck!

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/lrs-chunky.html

Unfortunately, according to your website, they only sell it in Honolulu. There's no retailer where I live. Bummer, that looked really good.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back