Trigger obsidian sump questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter SamMule
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2020
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
1,705
What state or country do you live in
Montana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a sump before. Putting this one together and planning layout. I have a few questions though.

What is this chamber under the fleece rollers for? Heater? Seems like a good place to build up detritus.
1000013367.jpg



It came with 2 extra dividers. Clear acrylic with plastic wrap on them and one ~3/4" hole. Can't figure out what for though.
1000013369.jpg


I'm going to run two heaters for redundancy. Thinking one in the sump and one in the overflow. Thoughts?
1000013368.jpg
 
I think the area under the filter roller is just for water flow as it's meant to flow down thought the roller fleece. Shouldn't be any detritus there with the roller doing its job. I use a red sea reefmat roller and it actually has a basket that slides into the bottom, I run carbon there.
 
Yes, I understand detritus "shouldn't" get through the roller, but some accumulation is inevitable
 
Yes, I understand detritus "shouldn't" get through the roller, but some accumulation is inevitable
I think that very true statement can apply to anywhere in a sump :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new