Trigger systems platinum sump & setup help please

reefer5076

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my new tank going with the trigger systems platinum sump. I love it so far but have not setup the fleece roller yet. Just finished cycling and added fish this week. Does anyone have experience with this sump? My main question how to maintain salinity with Neptune ATK? The roller mat is designed to feed new fleece when water backs up and hits the floats ...... my atk has an optical sensor to add water based on lowering water levels in the sump.... won’t these systems interfere with each other ? I would imagine As the fleece gets dirty it will restrict water flow causing my atk to add water ... have you guys had this issue or is it a non issue ? Thanks in advance

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fleece roller goes in the 1st chamber where the drains are to catch the debris. The ATK should go in the return pump chamber because that is where evaporation shows itself. Doubtful there will be a problem.
Just keep the level in the roller on the low side.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got my new tank going with the trigger systems platinum sump. I love it so far but have not setup the fleece roller yet. Just finished cycling and added fish this week. Does anyone have experience with this sump? My main question how to maintain salinity with Neptune ATK? The roller mat is designed to feed new fleece when water backs up and hits the floats ...... my atk has an optical sensor to add water based on lowering water levels in the sump.... won’t these systems interfere with each other ? I would imagine As the fleece gets dirty it will restrict water flow causing my atk to add water ... have you guys had this issue or is it a non issue ? Thanks in advance
Once you get the rollermat dialed in you'll love it . It took me a minute. I had it right above the waterline so it was sensitive so it moved a tiny bit at a time so the water level didn't change very much. It didn't affect the apex ato at all.

Attachments

• 20210201_220035.jpg
    20210201_220035.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 120

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes all rollers will mess with the ato a little bit. As long as your tank is not really small it makes virtually no difference. My ato adds a decent amount of water right before the roller spins. No big deal in my opinion

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a Platinum 34 sump about one month ago on my Reefer XL 425 (see sump build thread here). I also have the ATK, and coincidently I am also the author of the popular ATK Tutorial here on R2R that's part of my Apex series of articles.

Here's what I've found so far with one month of use. The roller seems to advance quite often, usually when the water level has only increased about 1/4" in the roller chamber, and runs for only about 1-2 seconds causing the water level to immediately return to normal. Since the roller chamber's dimensions (11.5"x6.5")are much smaller than the return chamber (14.5"x8.75"), that 1/4" of water height is actually a lot less height in the return chamber where the ATK sensors are mounted, so the water level difference is insignificant.

I have my ATK set to run every 30 minutes (the default Min Time is 60 minutes). If the water level in the roller chamber is getting high but the roller has not yet run, the ATK will turn on and begin to fill until the optical sensor is triggered. The ATK will then turn off for a minimum of 30 minutes. If on the other hand the roller has just moved the fleece, the water level in the roller chamber lowers and the level in the return chamber increases accordingly. This likely covers the lower sensor unless there has been significant evaporation, so the ATK does not run. In the long term, the two extremes cancel each other out. Occasionally the ATK will run more than needed, and other times it won't run at all depending on where the roller is in its cycle. But it balances out.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I installed a Platinum 34 sump about one month ago on my Reefer XL 425 (see sump build thread here). I also have the ATK, and coincidently I am also the author of the popular ATK Tutorial here on R2R that's part of my Apex series of articles.

Here's what I've found so far with one month of use. The roller seems to advance quite often, usually when the water level has only increased about 1/4" in the roller chamber, and runs for only about 1-2 seconds causing the water level to immediately return to normal. Since the roller chamber's dimensions (11.5"x6.5")are much smaller than the return chamber (14.5"x8.75"), that 1/4" of water height is actually a lot less height in the return chamber where the ATK sensors are mounted, so the water level difference is insignificant.

I have my ATK set to run every 30 minutes (the default Min Time is 60 minutes). If the water level in the roller chamber is getting high but the roller has not yet run, the ATK will turn on and begin to fill until the optical sensor is triggered. The ATK will then turn off for a minimum of 30 minutes. If on the other hand the roller has just moved the fleece, the water level in the roller chamber lowers and the level in the return chamber increases accordingly. This likely covers the lower sensor unless there has been significant evaporation, so the ATK does not run. In the long term, the two extremes cancel each other out. Occasionally the ATK will run more than needed, and other times it won't run at all depending on where the roller is in its cycle. But it balances out.
This is similar to my experience with a Klir filter in my Fiji sump. It all cancels out and when you have Apex control over things its even better!

OP
OP
R

reefer5076

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll bet getting everything set up soon and I’ll have to get Er dialed in ! Good to know these can work together and the dimensions in relation to sump water levels is something I didn’t consider. Thanks again

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just the problem the OP was worried about. I'm using the trigger platinum 39 and the Tunze ATO. I thought I had the filter roller dialed in until I installed the Tunze yesterday. I set it to the height I wanted in my sump. About an hour later I got the alarm sound from the Tunze. The filter roller had "backed up" the water but hadn't "rolled" yet...so the ATO thought it was low and pumped in a couple of gallons. The alarm was the TOO HIGH alarm from ATO. In addition...the rollers other sensor (located in return pump section) was underwater (installed per the Platinum Sump setup video) so now the roller wasn't going to roll.

Looks like I'm going to have to move the roller sensor lower to make it come on a little more often and not backup as much.

Last edited:
Back