Triggerfish Compatibility

cally2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am working on a predator tank ans would like a variety of triggerfish tank size is 150g. I definetly want a black durgeon,are theyre any other tiggerfish I can put with him. I like niger as well

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of blue throat triggers. A 150g is really on the small side for multiple triggers, and most would require a larger tank, not only dure to size, but also aggression as they mature. The black durgeon and the niger will get too large for a 150g. Look into the Indian Black trigger(Melichthys indicus), looks almost identical to the black durgeon but in a smaller package. Check out the Rhinecanthus genus(humu, bursa, rectangle), they grow slowly and stay a bit smaller. The lei triggerfish(Sufflamen bursa) is a smaller, milder trigger that I think looks pretty cool. Please do not follow recommended tank sizes from suppliers.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say your best bet is a Huma or Niger.

Niger’s grow quickly, Huma’s don’t.

My Bluethroat and Pinktail would cruise the length of my tank.

My Huma and Niger do not.

I have a bunch of the “no no” triggers in my 230 even a juvi Titan but I plan on upgrading to a 1000 gallons soon.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Durgeons are not aggressive fish. You do need to feed them. They should get along with most other low-medium aggressive triggers quite well. I have one currently that has been in with Pinktail and Huma. I would have no issues putting any of the reefsafe X triggers in with it.

If you feed any of these well, they will be mellow, but also will outgrow your tank. All of these fish will need rehomed eventually.

OP
OP
cally2k

cally2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of blue throat triggers. A 150g is really on the small side for multiple triggers, and most would require a larger tank, not only dure to size, but also aggression as they mature. The black durgeon and the niger will get too large for a 150g. Look into the Indian Black trigger(Melichthys indicus), looks almost identical to the black durgeon but in a smaller package. Check out the Rhinecanthus genus(humu, bursa, rectangle), they grow slowly and stay a bit smaller. The lei triggerfish(Sufflamen bursa) is a smaller, milder trigger that I think looks pretty cool. Please do not follow recommended tank sizes from suppliers.
Thank you, sorry for late response im starting with the 150 but once they get big they will go in my 300 gallon tank

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, sorry for late response im starting with the 150 but once they get big they will go in my 300 gallon tank

In that case, what I would do is get a baby clown trigger. There are a few varieties that come in as babies every season, I can't remember when that is right now. My favorite trio is a humu, clown, and niger. The humu grows very slowly, the clown a little faster but still slow, the niger grows pretty fast in comparison. You can find other Rhinecanthus genus is a small size as well if you prefer a different species. The black durgeon would be fine in a 300g but I do think being an Hawaiian fish they are almost impossible to come by. Another Melichthys genus which is a cool fish is the pinktail. Adding new triggers after others have been established is very tricky. The blueline and undy are on a different level so be careful of them, and the blueline does come in as a baby are are gorgeous, and does grow very fast. In a 300g you could mix up a few, you'll find many posts with several in a tank in your range, but trust me, those only last a very short time. Juvenile triggers are much different than grown adults. I would say no more 5 for the longterm. Trust me they don't like being crowded, thats one of the biggest mistakes people make with triggers, along with keeping them in a tank that is too small.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back