Triggerfish in the Reef Aquarium

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a couple triggerfish for my SPS dominant reef tank (210 gallons)...I've heard "NO way", but want to hear feedback on whether a trigger, likely a Crosshatch if available again, would harm my corals...thoughts?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a couple triggerfish for my SPS dominant reef tank (210 gallons)...I've heard "NO way", but want to hear feedback on whether a trigger, likely a Crosshatch if available again, would harm my corals...thoughts?
Crosshatch or blue throat triggers would be ideal but they’re still triggers so your clean up crew could be on the menu. As far as corals my blue throat never touched anything and it’s pretty similar to the crosshatch.

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crosshatch or blue throat triggers would be ideal but they’re still triggers so your clean up crew could be on the menu. As far as corals my blue throat never touched anything and it’s pretty similar to the crosshatch
Thanks for that. I have many predator wrasse on board, so no CUC that might be eaten...I love the Crosshatch, but was also considering the Black Trigger, Melichthys indicus, which is beautiful too, but may be more aggressive.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I have many predator wrasse on board, so no CUC that might be eaten...I love the Crosshatch, but was also considering the Black Trigger, Melichthys indicus, which is beautiful too, but may be more aggressive.
Ive had several blue throats with no issues. I currently have a black trigger(Melichthys indicus) in my mixed reef and have again have no issues with corals or aggression. They are super cool fish and pictures don't do them justice. I have pictures of it in my build thread.

Here is a thread I started about it when I accidently had it sent to me and was trying to find out more information.

I don't really keep inverts in my reef tank since I have several fish that will eat them so I cant speak to that. I have a few hermit crabs that somehow are still around after a couple years.

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had several blue throats with no issues. I currently have a black trigger(Melichthys indicus) in my mixed reef and have again have no issues with corals or aggression. They are super cool fish and pictures don't do them justice. I have pictures of it in my build thread.

Here is a thread I started about it when I accidently had it sent to me and was trying to find out more information.

I don't really keep inverts in my reef tank since I have several fish that will eat them so I cant speak to that. I have a few hermit crabs that somehow are still around after a couple years.
That's great input Gill. I have looked at the Indicus in the past and all the pics of it in the ocean show what a truly stunning fish it is, but in a very discreet way. All the lines and patterns are amazing. Your thread was very helpful. Seems like a very friendly fish with it's neighbors and corals. Still love the Crosshatch...but seems they don't ship from Hawaii any more. I did see one mentioned in Live Aquaria email on what to expect in the Divers Den yesterday, but then it was not there in the actual Divers Den later. Got my hopes up. Probably $10k, so no thanks anyway.

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have any more pics of yours in captivity, I'd love to see them.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any more pics of yours in captivity, I'd love to see them.
1710335186828.png

This is the best one I have. It is very active and is hard to get a good pic. I really need to get better at taking photos. It is difficult to see all the markings and colors on the body in photo, it really doesn't do it justice. When I get home I can try and get better pictures.

The crosshatches are great looking triggers as well. I've never had one so I cant speak to it.

Edit - found a couple more on my phone

1710335769649.jpeg

1710335791182.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1710335186828.png

This is the best one I have. It is very active and is hard to get a good pic. I really need to get better at taking photos. It is difficult to see all the markings and colors on the body in photo, it really doesn't do it justice. When I get home I can try and get better pictures.

The crosshatches are great looking triggers as well. I've never had one so I cant speak to it.
Beautiful aquarium you have...and that triggerfish is super looking. I understand trouble taking pics, I have a 8" Achilles...talk about constant motion, he's (I've anointed him a him, just because) even cruising nonstop any time I've peeked in late at night...loves swimming right into the MP60's. It's all about flow baby...hahaha...
Can't wait to see more of your Trigger...I'm gonna get one...Tankstop has them right now..

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium you have...and that triggerfish is super looking. I understand trouble taking pics, I have a 8" Achilles...talk about constant motion, he's (I've anointed him a him, just because) even cruising nonstop any time I've peeked in late at night...loves swimming right into the MP60's. It's all about flow baby...hahaha...
Can't wait to see more of your Trigger...I'm gonna get one...Tankstop has them right now..
Glad to hear. Good luck with it, mine has been great so far.

Edit - be sure to share some pictures if you get him. When mine came in it was just jet black with white stripes, I think because it was stressed out. It took a few weeks for all the different color striping to show up.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a sargassum trigger in my mixed reef with tons of inverts with good luck. Keep in mind that even the Xanthicthys triggers, despite being open-water feeders, still have strong jaws and will take bites out of anything they consider food. I hand feed mine and his jaw strength is kind of scary, he shears through squid like it's nothing.
I have heard some horror stories of them eating small fish like chromis, but in those instances the fish was usually already sick or dying.
Starting small greatly increases your chances of success; if you can, get your trigger under 4-5" total length because then the mouth will be too small to eat much bigger than mysis.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Xanthichthys triggers are planktivores and are reef safe.

Pink tails, hawaiian blacks are usually coral safe and mostly with inverts if well fed.

My only issue with some of these is that need to be fed enough to really grow which makes them not reef friendly. I had a 4" hawaiian black that could eat a whole large sheet of nori in about 5 seconds.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They are gorgeous. I had one hitch hike into my tank on a rock as a tiny juvenile. Was super docile year one. Then, Godzilla was born then demonstrated true chaotic warfare on everything alive, even the live rock…

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are gorgeous. I had one hitch hike into my tank on a rock as a tiny juvenile. Was super docile year one. Then, Godzilla was born then demonstrated true chaotic warfare on everything alive, even the live rock…
must have been super tiny to make it's way in on a piece of rock...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All triggers can be good tankmates if you want to feed them enough to really grow and be happy. Some turn into holy terrors when you do not. Nearly all people never feed them enough - something like a larger clown, undulate, blueline, etc. could need to eat a kilo of mysis a day. The X trigger, and some others, are happy to just waste away and live a short life when people underfeed them rather than terrorize a tank - this is sad for them still.

Do not underestimate how much a 6 or 7 inch crosshatch can eat. They can sometimes be an inch thick when captured - you do not measure what you feed them in cubes, but in flats of cubes. Blue Throats can be had much smaller. If you can find a sargassum, they sometimes can be on the smaller side - cool fish.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male Bluethroat Trigger in my reef, and he's always been a model citizen. That being said, I do keep my cleaner shrimp in my sump, because I don't fully trust him. He's never gone after my conchs though.

I also have a Sargassum Trigger in my FOWLR, and he's really cool. Supposedly reef safe too. Nothing but great things to say about both fish.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a pair of blue throat triggers M and F small after a 5 week stay in my QT and they have been great. No issues with my Tangs and accept all new additions [clown tang and orange peel angel lately] without issues. inverts are okay but I do note that they are always first in line at my feeders in the AM. At first were shy and then one started crusing the tank regularly like on patrol and now both do it regularly. One is growing a bit more than the other one but healthy and beautiful. Like to also play in my Nero 7 powerhead too from time to time.

brianstrawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second the black trigger. I've had one for 6+ years and zero aggression or picking at either coral or cuc. Its a stunning fish in person with lots more color than what shows in photos.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back