Triggerfish in the Reef Aquarium

bezj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male blue throat in a mixed reef and he’s been a model citizen to date. Can’t imagine a tank without one. Seem highly intelligent and friendly. It’s often said they are jumpers when in a bucket etc and that was my experience when getting him home, putting him in QT and moving him to display tank. No problems since in that regard.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not put an undulated in there. I have a funny thread somewhere about one.
Yes, I agree here! I had an undulated just about 20 years ago and it was a very cool looking fish... but every bit as EVIL!

Right now I've got a niger trigger in my DT and it looks terrific. Doesn't pick at any corals, inverts, or other fish. Very pretty fish and a great addition.

In my attached 75 gal "lagoon" I've got an assassi and a humu and both are 3-4". They need to be fed well to stay happy so they are both quite fat. Despite this, they will [probably] kill anything I add to the tank unless I do it very carefully (they do leave the established fish alone). They do not touch any corals (soft, LPS, SPS, gorg) but will happily eat any inverts obviously. This is the only thing keeping me from putting them into the DT. They will look so good in there some day.

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree here! I had an undulated just about 20 years ago and it was a very cool looking fish... but every bit as EVIL!

Right now I've got a niger trigger in my DT and it looks terrific. Doesn't pick at any corals, inverts, or other fish. Very pretty fish and a great addition.

In my attached 75 gal "lagoon" I've got an assassi and a humu and both are 3-4". They need to be fed well to stay happy so they are both quite fat. Despite this, they will [probably] kill anything I add to the tank unless I do it very carefully (they do leave the established fish alone). They do not touch any corals (soft, LPS, SPS, gorg) but will happily eat any inverts obviously. This is the only thing keeping me from putting them into the DT. They will look so good in there some day.
what is your Lagoon like....I love the idea.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your Lagoon like....I love the idea.
It started as a 40 gal trough so it felt like a tidepool / lagoon, hence the name. Now, it's just a 75 gal plumbed into my system but I use it to keep all the LPS (and random stuff) I can't have in my DT... I'm guessing my blueface angel would eat them! Here is a pic from about a year ago. I guess I need an updated pic!

lagoon.jpg

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started as a 40 gal trough so it felt like a tidepool / lagoon, hence the name. Now, it's just a 75 gal plumbed into my system but I use it to keep all the LPS (and random stuff) I can't have in my DT... I'm guessing my blueface angel would eat them! Here is a pic from about a year ago. I guess I need an updated pic!

lagoon.jpg
Very smart set up. I like it. What corals do you have in the DT? SPS? Just asking as you have a Blueface Angel in there...

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very smart set up. I like it. What corals do you have in the DT? SPS? Just asking as you have a Blueface Angel in there...
The DT is a 300DD and almost entirely SPS. I do have some mushrooms in there but trying to cull them as I'm able. They just spread too much. The angel doesn't pick at anything in there and never has since it was a small juvenile.

The original lagoon was a fuge loaded with chaeto and dragon's breath (sprouted randomly from a rock). Then I needed a place to throw corals when I had nowhere else to put them. I really have no desire for a frag tank and actually don't even like to have a "rack" in there like you see in the pic. But I do love having the triggers so this tank is a keeper. I toy with the idea of getting something larger for the same space. I used to have a 120 in the wall but after getting the 300 I patched the wall but kept the stand since it's basically built in place. While a 120 will no longer fit there I may try to upsize at some point because the 75 is just too small for the triggers long term.

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a sargassum or a blue throat in my tank since I first added fish after my first cycle 25 years ago. Never had a problem with anything.

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT is a 300DD and almost entirely SPS. I do have some mushrooms in there but trying to cull them as I'm able. They just spread too much. The angel doesn't pick at anything in there and never has since it was a small juvenile.

The original lagoon was a fuge loaded with chaeto and dragon's breath (sprouted randomly from a rock). Then I needed a place to throw corals when I had nowhere else to put them. I really have no desire for a frag tank and actually don't even like to have a "rack" in there like you see in the pic. But I do love having the triggers so this tank is a keeper. I toy with the idea of getting something larger for the same space. I used to have a 120 in the wall but after getting the 300 I patched the wall but kept the stand since it's basically built in place. While a 120 will no longer fit there I may try to upsize at some point because the 75 is just too small for the triggers long term.
Interesting. I'd like to get several angels...have a Potters coming soon, then a Goldflake, Conspicuous and a Blueline or Maze...all captive bred. Maybe one day a larger one, like Asfur or Queen (my favorite), but not sure if those two will pick at SPS or Chalice's

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'd like to get several angels...have a Potters coming soon, then a Goldflake, Conspicuous and a Blueline or Maze...all captive bred. Maybe one day a larger one, like Asfur or Queen (my favorite), but not sure if those two will pick at SPS or Chalice's
Those angels will tear up your chalices. I can’t tell you which ones will do it but it’s a gamble with one angel. They will likely pick at your sps too.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big ol Niger trigger. 8 inches he was raised with tangs.

He has become a little more aggressive as he gets older. But just to me

Love him to death.

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 5" clown trigger and 6" Niger trigger in a 200 gallon mixed reef. The problem is pretty straightforward. As long as the fish has a relatively docile personality. Your fine until he outgrows the tank. Then it's trade , give or sell to a larger home

Screenshot_20240317_131339_Gallery.jpg

dochoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crosshatch or blue throat triggers would be ideal but they’re still triggers so your clean up crew could be on the menu. As far as corals my blue throat never touched anything and it’s pretty similar to the crosshatch.
Have had the exact same experience. They are great additions.

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had several blue throats with no issues. I currently have a black trigger(Melichthys indicus) in my mixed reef and have again have no issues with corals or aggression. They are super cool fish and pictures don't do them justice. I have pictures of it in my build thread.

Here is a thread I started about it when I accidently had it sent to me and was trying to find out more information.

I don't really keep inverts in my reef tank since I have several fish that will eat them so I cant speak to that. I have a few hermit crabs that somehow are still around after a couple years.
Hi Gill...I bought a Black Trigger (Indicus) and am currently quarantining it. I have several small clowns and a 2-1/2" (maybe smaller) Blue Hippo Tang in the DT. Any thoughts on the trigger threatening them?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gill...I bought a Black Trigger (Indicus) and am currently quarantining it. I have several small clowns and a 2-1/2" (maybe smaller) Blue Hippo Tang in the DT. Any thoughts on the trigger threatening them?
Awesome. I can only speak to my personal experience, but mine has not shown any aggression to any of my fish. I have clowns, various tangs (including a blue hippo) and wrasses from 2-3" to 4-5".

My only issue I have had with him is that he likes to pick up frags and move them around the tank. I have to glue the frag plugs to my frag rack now otherwise he will pick it up, swim to the other side of the tank and drop it somewhere in the rockwork. Its cool to watch, not so much fun to find them and pick them out of the rocks lol.

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I can only speak to my personal experience, but mine has not shown any aggression to any of my fish. I have clowns, various tangs (including a blue hippo) and wrasses from 2-3" to 4-5".

My only issue I have had with him is that he likes to pick up frags and move them around the tank. I have to glue the frag plugs to my frag rack now otherwise he will pick it up, swim to the other side of the tank and drop it somewhere in the rockwork. Its cool to watch, not so much fun to find them and pick them out of the rocks lol.
You are very helpful. How large is yours? Mine is 6"

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a picasso, niger, and male blue throat trigger, niger is the smallest but the most food aggressive. They all typically swim and grunt at each other all day and throw a table shrimp around to each other on the days they get those! Fun fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back