Triggerfish for smaller tanks?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I wonder if there are any smaller Triggerfish suitable for a not very big tank? Basically 125-130G but with a 70” x 24” footprint. How big do Triggers usually grow?

I know there’s the Blue Throat but is it true that these pelagic species are less hardy than others like the Rhinecanthus? Will one purchased as a male likely revert to female? Will one purchased as a female likely change into a male and retain those colors?

How quickly do they grow? I don’t want a fish that I can’t keep for life as I’m not sure when I can upgrade, though I definitely love to.

Thanks.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a pair of Blue Throat triggers in my S650 which is around the size you mention, certainly as far as total volume

Their very active swimmers and also need rockwork as they make a home in it or under it in my case

They don’t grow that fast, I’ve had mine around 4 years and there still fine we’re they are, but if necessary they have a very big home to go to.

Theres some pictures on my build thread and also videos of when they start their mating dance

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I wonder if there are any smaller Triggerfish suitable for a not very big tank? Basically 125-130G but with a 70” x 24” footprint. How big do Triggers usually grow?

I know there’s the Blue Throat but is it true that these pelagic species are less hardy than others like the Rhinecanthus? Will one purchased as a male likely revert to female? Will one purchased as a female likely change into a male and retain those colors?

How quickly do they grow? I don’t want a fish that I can’t keep for life as I’m not sure when I can upgrade, though I definitely love to.

Thanks.

Blue Throat triggers need calm and peace to get established and feel at home. Once they acclimate they're very hardy. If you have a male or female they do not switch to the other sex. They kinda glide around and very peaceful, but they do like hiding spots for comfort.

Your tank size should meet the minimum requirements.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have known Rhinecanthus genus triggers live their entire lives in a 125, more than a decade easily for these fish. The picasso being the most aggressive of the 3 you mentioned, but still mild in regards to some of the more aggressive triggers. Key points; get an itty bitty one, picasso's are always found less than 2", and so fun to grow up. Growing up with their tank mates will provide at least a higher chance of compatibility when mature. The tank needs to be lightly stocked with other semi aggressive fish that can hold their own.. They grow slowly, some have even described them as growing painfully slow.

The blue throats are the most boring fish I have ever kept, I had a pair in my 210g and after years finally tore the tank apart to get them out. I gave them away. These are not for trigger enthusiast.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Thanks for getting back. What max size can the Rhinecanthus be expected to reach, and what about the Blue Throats? Do Blue Throats grow quickly?

What kinds of fish would be incompatible with the Rhinecanthus? Thanks a lot.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.
When your thread title said smaller tank I expected someone trying to keep one in a Nano :p

You should be fine for any in that volume. Unless your buying one thats already huge/show size it would take many many years to outgrow a 6ft tank

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had picasso and clown triggers before. Great fish. I now have a pair of blue throat triggers in a 150 gallon with super high flow. They look great. Very peaceful watching them swim all over. They don't bother the other fish or inverts. They are not as striking, but very pretty in a very understated way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Niger , bursa and Picasso

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice niger trigger but lately he’s becoming quite the bully and even killed a purple fire fish I tried to introduce to the tank. All of the other fish clearly fear him so I might have to remove him.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Thanks for getting back. What max size can the Rhinecanthus be expected to reach, and what about the Blue Throats? Do Blue Throats grow quickly?

What kinds of fish would be incompatible with the Rhinecanthus? Thanks a lot.

The rhinecanthus don't get near their listed size. I had a picasso for 12-13 years and i would say he never reached 7". The one I have now is approaching 6" and his growth is now unnoticeable. Unless their was a monster collected I've never seen one over 7". They do get pretty thick though, and around 5" they get pretty tough. One would be fine with the other fish you've mentioned. Smaller large angels, I would go with a pair of the same species or maybe a male of one and a female of another, two males in a 125g could be more of a risk. The small tangs are good. The foxy would be fine. But nothing like the firefish and the like. Sounds like all the fish I've seen you interested in would fit in nicely.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back