Triggerfish for smaller tanks?

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish and Dartfish are pretty but I’ve given up on considering them due to them being overly skittish. There is such thing IMO as being “too” peaceful.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the Picasso. Did you have it in a reef and how did you lose it? :( 12-13 years is a long time.

Out of curiosity how long did you have your Blue Throats and did they grow any bigger or quicker?

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B0E648F3-20C5-40DE-8611-6D55B24F9BC3.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish and Dartfish are pretty but I’ve given up on considering them due to them being overly skittish. There is such thing IMO as being “too” peaceful.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the Picasso. Did you have it in a reef and how did you lose it? :( 12-13 years is a long time.

Out of curiosity how long did you have your Blue Throats and did they grow any bigger or quicker?

It's funny even at 12-13 years his end came when I was sick and my girlfriend was taking care of my tank, sickness came and everyone died.

I've mentioned the niger is one of those that do get to their full listed wild size. Imo too much fish for a 125g.

I had the blue throats about 7 years, they were around 4" when I got them, the male over 7" and the female just under when I pulled them. I'd say that was topped out. Being a trigger enthusiast I've raised and had many triggers through the years, these were not for me. If I had it in me I would have pulled them years ago, I just didn't want to tear the tank apart. This genus of trigger is not like the rest. They are not bold, dynamic, and rambunctious; all the things I admire in a trigger.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great to know. And sorry about your loss. What was the sickness that wiped out the tank? :( Which fish brought it?

I was seriously ill, chemo. It was likely ick that had been managed for years and my girlfriend likely caused a trigger and then it spiraled from there. I was in no condition and it was back in the day when it wasn't so easy to just hire someone to come in.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By small Tangs would the Mimic also count? I know it’s an Acanthurus but how big can it be expected to grow? Does it get bigger than a Zebrasoma? Thanks.

Yes I think they could fit in a 125g, one of my favorite tangs. Pics don't do these guys justice, they become the chocolate tang as an adult. You could something like a mimic and a zebrasoma.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they have a subtle beauty to them. And since I often hear about how hard it is to feed Bristletooths think that’s the combo I will go for. Now that Yellow Tangs are banned and I can’t get Captive Bred where I am (sucks), I’ll have to get a Purple or Scopas as my Zebrasoma with Purple as my first choice.

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are awesome, but be warned. Most are aggressive. They need room to swim.. check the sizing charts as some get quite

I spend about $300 a month in cleaning crews. They love to eat snails and crabs. I had a pair of cleaner shrimp for a year with two triggers in the tank, introduced my blue line.....both were snacks. My fish are well fed and they still eat the CC

It is hard to pick a favorite, but here goes.

1. Clown
2. Niger
3. Blue line
4. Picaso
5. Pink tail...mellow and maybe reef safe

Attachments

• 20210110_185610_377428079133849.mp4
    19.8 MB

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok but does he intend to keep them for life?
Of course I plan on keeping them for life. My fish and corals in my tank have gotten to the point its time to get them into a much larger tank.
Triggers have been my favorite fish for 35+ years. In that time I've owned alot of the different types and learned all of there different personalities and what they require to keep happy. 2 of the main things they need to feel at home and especially in a smaller than ideal tank for them are you need to keep them well fed and give them alot of rock work to explore in and for sleeping quarters. I have 5 triggers in my reef tank, a Clown, Assasi, Blueline, Niger and Pinktail. Only trigger I would never keep again is the "demon" trigger, the Queen, a pure killing machine that no matter what works for the others Queens are just killing machines, they will kill all types of fish not because they are hungry but just to kill. They have great personalities and are smart fish. Heres an fts of there living quarters.
20201114_105101.jpg
20210102_125001.jpg
20201102_143215.jpg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa looks amazing! How big are your Triggers and do you expect them to grow much more?

How big is your tank and how big of a tank are you planning for them?

Do you find them as active as Tangs?
On your 1st question the Clown and Assasi are the largest of the 5 at about 4 to 5 inches and ive noticed that in the last year there growth has stopped cuz they need more room to grow, the other 3 since they were added later and are smaller are still growing for now.
2nd my tank is 90g but feels much bigger due to all the rock they have to roam and sleep in.
3rd my current tank is in my bedroom so if I have the new tank in there I can go as big as 200g for space reasons but if I set up the new tank in the living room then 300+g is the plan.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank he’s in has dart fish and a fire fish. They’ve just learned to avoid him.

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok thanks for the heads up. How big is your tank, is it a reef and how big are your Triggers?

The one I’m most interested in is the Picasso would love to know how it’s doing for you.
My Picasso is about 5 years old, very hardy. He has survived, broke pumps, parasite , and every other tank mistake i have made.

He does high speed laps, like when a small dog does zooming. It is hilarious. Fish have their own personality.

The humahuma looks similar, but if you have ever been to Hawaii, you can easily tell the difference. I see labeled incorrectly all the time.

My tank is 200gl FOWLR, and aggressive fish and eels.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. I don’t know if I came across your YouTube channel but maybe 8 years ago you posted a video of your tank, I don’t know if it was you but I saw what I thought was your Tomato Clown and your Clown Trigger. The channel’s name is Humhumufish or something like that. I’m glad to see your Triggers and others are doing well after 8-9 years if not more.

So the Assasi which is 4-5 inches do you expect much more growth from it? What about your Clown and others?

Also just curious do you live in your own house or an apartment? If so which floor?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back