Triggers sick help!

mrsdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my husbands triggers still have voracious appetites but we need help identifying what the heck is going on! it started with his humu flashing 3 days ago. we had a scopas that was removed to qt for ich. it's doing great but now all his triggers are quickly declining. he has done multiple fw dips. currently running prazi. he has also done a bifuran+ and paraguard dips. need help identifying so we can treat properly! we are moving the scopas to another tank and throwing them all in the qt tank!

20200126_182957.jpg 20200126_183017.jpg 20200126_182458.jpg 20200126_183734.jpg 20200126_183723.jpg 20200126_182521.jpg 20200126_182942.jpg

OP
OP
mrsdixon

mrsdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres 4 triggers. 2 nigers, a humu and an undulated. the undulated is just now showing signs. the other 3 had some markings on them a couple days ago but the last 12hrs it's like whatever it is just blew up. they are still swimming around and all are eating!

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich. Prazi will help with flukes, but need to treat ich with copper.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Are there any corals in the tank?
If so, they will need to be quarantined and also given a freshwater bath. iF NO CORAL, YOU CAN TREAT THE TANK DIRECT.
Appears to be ich parasite. Product called " General Cure" or copper treatment will work.
As long as theyre eating, add liquid vitamin such as SELCON and also garlic extract. Sooner the treatment, best chance of full recovery.
WHAT IS TANK TEMPERATURE AND ALSO SALINITY (SALT LEVEL) ??

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like velvet to me i lost all my fish in my tank from it a few months back you need to treat them with copper quickly

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could also be brook because sometimes its hard to tell they kinda look the same in some photos treat them with copper + metro to be sure

OP
OP
mrsdixon

mrsdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so, they will need to be quarantined and also given a freshwater bath. iF NO CORAL, YOU CAN TREAT THE TANK DIRECT.
Appears to be ich parasite. Product called " General Cure" or copper treatment will work.
As long as theyre eating, add liquid vitamin such as SELCON and also garlic extract. Sooner the treatment, best chance of full recovery.
temp is 79 and 1.025

OP
OP
mrsdixon

mrsdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and no vorals
and no corals in the tank just the 4 triggers

OP
OP
mrsdixon

mrsdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like velvet to me i lost all my fish in my tank from it a few months back you need to treat them with copper quickly
that's what my thought was unfortunately. bc it looks as though it's a fuzzy film over the fish and not just specks. this is nerve wracking!

OP
OP
mrsdixon

mrsdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the meds we have on hand are as follows
prazipro
bifuran+
melafix
pimafix
methylene blue
paraguard
coppersafe
mardel
triple sulfa

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, i agree on the velvet . i have treated my fish with fresh water dip for 5 minutes with matched ph. followed by hyposalinity combined with cupramine for 14 days has done it for me before. the sudden drop of salinity helps the rest of the parasite die off and the cupramine keeps them from multiplying. good luck!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the others on velvet and they may even have ich too. I'd conduct FWD to remove surface parasites providing temporary relief, then treat with copper for 35 days. Day 2 or 3 of copper treatment administer API General Cure to address possible brook and flukes just in case, 5-7 days later conduct 25% water change and conduct 2 dose of GC.

OP
OP
mrsdixon

mrsdixon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the others on velvet and they may even have ich too. I'd conduct FWD to remove surface parasites providing temporary relief, then treat with copper for 35 days. Day 2 or 3 of copper treatment administer API General Cure to address possible brook and flukes just in case, 5-7 days later conduct 25% water change and conduct 2 dose of GC.
they were moved to the qt and their tank is currently fallow and will remain as such until we know for certain what we are dealing with and how long the fallow period needs to run. hes freshwater dipped the humu a couple times, the undulated once and the nigers once. the humu looked the worse and now it's the nigers. he added prazi to dt yesterday after the fw dips bc the humu was flashing like crazy. hes done several other medicated baths as well. dosed coppersafe in the qt last night. thank you all for your input. my husband said he thought velvet or brook. and was at a crossroads with which steps to take to continue treatment. luckily we are almost 2hrs away from the nearest saltwater or specialty fish stores so we have stocked up on every med known to man lol

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and 30 minute hydrogen peroxide bath. Get some fresh non medicated saltwater, air stone for 20 minutes and then take it out. Temp match it with the tank they are currently in and throw 10ml of hydrogen peroxide 3% (I used the cheap Walgreens brand). Worked wonders for me. Freshwater dip will be beneficial aswell but I skipped on it. Sounds crazy but I’ve had great luck with it recently.

Back