Triggers

Fob_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to house couple different kind of triggers together. Does anyone know or suggest what kind of triggers will go well together. Also, what other kind of fish that can house together with the triggers. Thanks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to house couple different kind of triggers together. Does anyone know or suggest what kind of triggers will go well together. Also, what other kind of fish that can house together with the triggers. Thanks.
What sized tanks? What triggers do you want?

For example - Blueline and Undulated triggers probably shouldn't be kept with any fish, let alone other triggers. I tried a blueline that murdered everything in it's sight and it was only 4 inches. Undulated are similar in temperament. Clown triggers are nasty but do very well for some time before "snapping". This can occasionally be "mitigated" in a very large tank. My clown trigger is about 4.5 inches long and a great community fish in my 500 gallon ten foot tank but they're known for deciding randomly that they don't want any tankmates and killing them. Others swear they're great community fish forever. I am guessing at larger size this is a bigger risk, particularly in a "smaller" tank.

Humu and Rectangulus triggers (close cousins), Niger, Pink Tail, Blue Throat, etc. can often be kept together. Adding at the same time increases your odds. Adding triggers or mixing them in general is a big risk because they can do a lot of damage quickly but I've mixed the triggers aforementioned together before in 180 gallon tanks.

Tankmates: Large angels, squirrelfish, puffers (if large), large tangs, large wrasse (such as thalassoma genus), larger butterflies on occasion (many are peaceful try to find "semi aggressive" butterflies), sometimes large dwarf angels, larger more aggressive halichoeres wrasse may work (such as a large melanarus wrasse), etc.

OP
OP
Fob_Reefer

Fob_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For example - Blueline and Undulated triggers probably shouldn't be kept with any fish, let alone other triggers. I tried a blueline that murdered everything in it's sight and it was only 4 inches. Undulated are similar in temperament. Clown triggers are nasty but do very well for some time before "snapping". This can occasionally be "mitigated" in a very large tank. My clown trigger is about 4.5 inches long and a great community fish in my 500 gallon ten foot tank but they're known for deciding randomly that they don't want any tankmates and killing them. Others swear they're great community fish forever. I am guessing at larger size this is a bigger risk, particularly in a "smaller" tank.

Humu and Rectangulus triggers (close cousins), Niger, Pink Tail, Blue Throat, etc. can often be kept together. Adding at the same time increases your odds. Adding triggers or mixing them in general is a big risk because they can do a lot of damage quickly but I've mixed the triggers aforementioned together before in 180 gallon tanks.

Tankmates: Large angels, squirrelfish, puffers (if large), large tangs, large wrasse (such as thalassoma genus), larger butterflies on occasion (many are peaceful try to find "semi aggressive" butterflies), sometimes large dwarf angels, larger more aggressive halichoeres wrasse may work (such as a large melanarus wrasse), etc.

I have a 2" bursa in a 75g right now, looking to add another niger to the tank. Once they grow a bit bigger, planning to move them to my 125g. These two should be OK together, I hope? Also, in my 75g tank right now I have small "clown, neon, and bluehead wrasses", fire fish, flame cardinal, chromis, and a yellow tang, would these be ok with the bursa right now?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are my favorite fish. I’ve owned many triggers throughout the years either trigger only tanks or triggers and other fish. Currently have a Clown ,Sargassum , and bluejaw in my reef tank. Whatever you do DONT EVER GET A QUEEN TRIGGER 25 years ago when I was much younger, still learning, without the internet around I went to a lfs with my girlfriend (now my wife) I normally didn’t drive to cuz of distance and bought one of good size it was beautiful and we both liked it, lfs said I would have no issues with it towards my other fish. Within a few days it killed all my fish and only while we where at work, not cuz it was hungry, it didn’t eat them, it just killed them, other triggers, groupers, lion fish, and even 2 snowflake eels. Back to your question I’ve mixed aggressive triggers like clowns, blue line, undulated, niger together etc... in the same tank with no issues, if you do that you need lots of rock in the tank and feed them a lot, and add them at the same time. Other less aggressive triggers, also like lots of rock and food but you can spread out the time you add them at. My wife still freaks out to this day when she sees a queen trigger at the lfs.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bursa are among the smaller triggers. I still don't know about mixing another trigger with it in a 75.

I would not recommend a niger for a 75, or a 125 gallon.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2" bursa in a 75g right now, looking to add another niger to the tank. Once they grow a bit bigger, planning to move them to my 125g. These two should be OK together, I hope? Also, in my 75g tank right now I have small "clown, neon, and bluehead wrasses", fire fish, flame cardinal, chromis, and a yellow tang, would these be ok with the bursa right now?
I personally would not add another trigger to a 75 gallon tank. Smaller tanks lead to more aggression. A 75 is a good sized tank but you need about double the real estate to get real creative with tangs, large angels, and triggers, IMO.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not add another trigger to a 75 gallon tank. Smaller tanks lead to more aggression. A 75 is a good sized tank but you need about double the real estate to get real creative with tangs, large angels, and triggers, IMO.

I agree, go ahead and move the trigger you have an then add another. Never saw the purpose of intentionally starting fish in a smaller than recommended size and then just "rehoming" them as each transfer is stressful on both the fish and the owner.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a medium sized clown trigger in a reef once for a few years and he never bothered anything. He was a great community fish unfortunately I lost him to velvet before I understood how to QT fish. I do however understand this is not the norm and don’t think I’d try it again

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125 but u have to choose you can’t put all of these in :) these are just suggestions as the OP was asking which triggers goes well together.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back