Trim or wild grow

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So? what are your preferences? trim your corals to control the growth or just let them go wild? I have a monti that grew cup-like at the top of the rock work, so the actual look ik live viewing the bottom of it. One solution would be too trim half the cup to improve the aesthetics of the rock. On the other hand, I have put a lot of effort in making stuff grow that it makes me feel terrible to cut even the smallest piece of a coral.

Whta is your take on this? I try to talk to myself if this like a garden. I have no problem in pruning trees, but in the case of the reef I ma dying inside.

Any thoughts? does anyone else has this struggle?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve realized that I have to keep the garden pruned to protect the slow growing coral, to prevent stinging deaths and to keep order where competitors are trying to kill their neighbors. The joy of spreading frags to friends or the lfs (if they want them) is a nice reward and when some frags go into the waste bin I remember that one day I’m going to end up there myself. It’s the way of the world and I can’t change it, but I can try and share my extra frags.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Trim for regrowth and control

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was run over by organ pipe coral. I knocked it down to almost zero. You need to evict that sympodium before it ruins everything!
I’m in Oceanside but I’m not interested in frags from a tank with sympodium growing in it. There is a chemical way to evict it but I can’t remember what the treatment is.
GL!

ZoaAddiction81

Nems And More Nems
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was run over by organ pipe coral. I knocked it down to almost zero. You need to evict that sympodium before it ruins everything!
I’m in Oceanside but I’m not interested in frags from a tank with sympodium growing in it. There is a chemical way to evict it but I can’t remember what the treatment is.
GL!
Thanks I’m not sure if I can just cut the stalks with a razor. And leave a little area of it

ZoaAddiction81

Nems And More Nems
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’m not sure if I can just cut the stalks with a razor. And leave a little area of it
68447EC5-0DE8-46F6-8953-4511FF5FA5F0.png

OP
OP
MexiReefer

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve realized that I have to keep the garden pruned to protect the slow growing coral, to prevent stinging deaths and to keep order where competitors are trying to kill their neighbors. The joy of spreading frags to friends or the lfs (if they want them) is a nice reward and when some frags go into the waste bin I remember that one day I’m going to end up there myself. It’s the way of the world and I can’t change it, but I can try and share my extra frags.
ja! this is deep- thanks for sharing

OP
OP
MexiReefer

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments. You helped me to ease my concern of triming.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back