Trimming nepthia

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this colony of nepthia, I think that is what it is called, and it is over taking my tank. For the most part the rock can't be removed. If I trim it back in the dt will it cause any harm to the other corals or fish?

15854077003997318679096409431163.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hack mine all the time and never see any problems with other corals. I've completely cut smaller colonies to a stump and they grow back.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to run some carbon. They can decide to slime pretty good and release some toxins. Good flow too. Nice colony. I used to cut mine often too. But, I had a larger system and always run carbon. Looks like you have a large system too.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just slice branches off with a razor in the tank. No issues. I usually only cut one off at a time though. I’d imagine if you did a serious hack job on it in the DT you could have issues with toxins, but do a little here and there and you should be fine. If you want to cut up a bunch of frags just slice some large sections off, pull them out and then cut them up in a container of tank water.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice and you just hack it off in the tank?
I just slice branches off with a razor in the tank. No issues. I usually only cut one off at a time though. I’d imagine if you did a serious hack job on it in the DT you could have issues with toxins, but do a little here and there and you should be fine. If you want to cut up a bunch of frags just slice some large sections off, pull them out and then cut them up in a container of tank water.

I do the same - slice a piece off in the tank with a razor. I don't do any major hack jobs either though LOL, usually just one piece here or there. I use carbon also. It's a softie only tank so I'm not as worried about toxins as I would be if it were a mixed tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back