Trio of royal grammas?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma dimorphism
Here are pictures of male Royal Gramma and Female royal Gramma. If we only look at the body, and not look at the tail, the purple to yellow ration of the male is 2:1 and of the female is 1:1.
Looking at the length of the pelvic/ventral fins. The male pelvic fins extended way pass the begin of the anal fin while the female pelvic fins barely reach the begin of the anal fin. The pictures below clearly show these characteristics
IMG_0174.jpeg
IMG_0173.jpeg

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma dimorphism
Here are pictures of male Royal Gramma and Female royal Gramma. If we only look at the body, and not look at the tail, the purple to yellow ration of the male is 2:1 and of the female is 1:1.
Looking at the length of the pelvic/ventral fins. The male pelvic fins extended way pass the begin of the anal fin while the female pelvic fins barely reach the begin of the anal fin. The pictures below clearly show these characteristics
IMG_0174.jpeg
IMG_0173.jpeg

Cool guide! Looking at that, I'd definitely say that my current fish is a male. If I add another, would it stay female for the 30 days of quarantine? Would it be best to get two so that I have a 2:1 ratio of males to females? Thanks!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Two male will kill each other, even in my 420 gal tank. I had a harem. After 5 years or so, the male get older, and weaker. One of the female change sex and killed him. Even in a 420 full of rock he had no where he can take refuge from the new younger male.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Two male will kill each other, even in my 420 gal tank. I had a harem. After 5 years or so, the male get older, and weaker. One of the female change sex and killed him. Even in a 420 full of rock he had no where he can take refuge from the new younger male.

Thanks. How do you suggest I add another gramma or two? Will one become male while in QT, or should I just dip them and hope for the best?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Gramma dimorphism
IMG_0174.jpeg
IMG_0173.jpeg
Really good information! Thank you.

Everyday is a school day.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OrionN just gave you great advice to qt again.

I say this not to disway what he said but a did qt mine on its own and it must not of changed to male. Did I get lucky? Maybe.

If I do it again, I will qt them together.

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of people keeping a trio in a larger system. I’d say like 90ish and up. Never knew how this played out long term though. I would imagine if your rockwork has plenty of nooks and crannies and they could all establish their own space there’s potential

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back