Tripod recommendations

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently shoot with a older micro 4/3 camera and just got a manual legacy Nikon 55mm 2.8 macro lens (which is like 100mm on the micro 4/3 format). Started playing with it last night and the exposure times required are going to necessitate a tripod. I’m looking for something like this that has a horizontal arm but it’s going to need to be over 5’ tall before the arm to clear the height of my tank.

[URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0745BDN91/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_hMBEAbKSTR68T[/url]

Any suggestions? I got a decent shot of my space invaders chalice by bracing the camera body in the corner of the tank. I can’t wait to see what this lens can do on a tripod.

D048463D-E9E2-42C7-B1B4-F0FD6F8D2061.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s Sweet Tripod for a sweet price. I’d would go for it. Also get a remote.

If I may critique, with a shutter speed that low , under 1/40 I’ll assume, your ISO must be very low or the f stop quite high.
I’d try to find the balance there.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to get the shot above, the ISO was set to 800. I am just learning how to shoot with settings other than full auto-so using full manual settings is eye opening and will help me to understand the balance of aperture, shutter speed and iso. So basically, I am a total noob :) The tripod I listed above does look nice but the height listed is when the horizontal mount is positioned vertically (I think).

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sweat. We all start somewhere.

With a neutral , like grey or brown or black , take pictures and keep bumping up the asa. When you see grain , stop. That’s the max sensitivity.
I set mine for manual or apature priority. With manual lenses that’s the way to go. With a high f stop it will lower your shutter speed. With a lower fstop it will increase.

Sorry I can’t help with the tripod , you’ll have to get the tape measure out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back