Triton Core Element Spill

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was just calibrating my DOS pump and my graduated cylinder just fell in my tank with 40ml of Triton 3A liquid, I only dose about 1 ml so this is probably gonna be a disaster. I'm gonna do a big water change, any other advice to counter the effects?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I was just calibrating my DOS pump and my graduated cylinder just fell in my tank with 40ml of Triton 3A liquid, I only dose about 1 ml so this is probably gonna be a disaster. I'm gonna do a big water change, any other advice to counter the effects?

How big is your tank? If you were supposed to add 1 ml and you added 40 ml - you would need to change 98.5 percent of your water to get it to the desired amount. (1/40 = 2.5%). Tried to look up what was in that solution - but cant find it - unfortunately. Maybe carbon? Just saying lets say you did a 50% water change - it would be like you added 20 ml.
You could do a 50% change (would be like 20 ml), another 50% change (Would be like you added 10 ml) another 50% change (would be like you added 5 ml) another 50% change (would be like you added 2.5 ml) and another 50% change (would be like you added 1.25 ml). I just dont know how 'toxic' it is (or how much bacteria might be caused to grow, etc - most of these things have a margin of error.

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? If you were supposed to add 1 ml and you added 40 ml - you would need to change 98.5 percent of your water to get it to the desired amount. (1/40 = 2.5%). Tried to look up what was in that solution - but cant find it - unfortunately. Maybe carbon? Just saying lets say you did a 50% water change - it would be like you added 20 ml.
You could do a 50% change (would be like 20 ml), another 50% change (Would be like you added 10 ml) another 50% change (would be like you added 5 ml) another 50% change (would be like you added 2.5 ml) and another 50% change (would be like you added 1.25 ml). I just dont know how 'toxic' it is (or how much bacteria might be caused to grow, etc - most of these things have a margin of error.

60gal total water volume, I was able to catch a good portion of it I think in my sump and sucked it out. Just looked up what was in it and it appears to be alkalinity. Just tested my display for alkalinity and it was 9.9 when it's normally 9.1, hoping a big water change will fix it.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you typically calibrate the pump with dosing solutions?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back