Triton Core7 Contents [part 1, part 2, parts 3(a) and 3(b)]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim@Triton, does triton have a list of contents for each of its core7 parts?

a general list will suffice, i'm not digging for trade secrets...

just so we generally know what's in there, and how to adjust accordingly, espcially when initally implementing the triton method (as i am currently).

is this correct?

part 1 is calcium
part 2 is magnesium
parts 3a and 3b are alkality components + various trace elements

thanks in advance

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jason mack, so my list above is generally correct? ive seen lists where they are switched, on various other forums

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other methods which i use are as follows
1 mag
2 Calc
3a alk
3b alk
All bottles have tracé element

And ive been told that the core7 are as follows

1 Calc
2 alk
3a mag
3b mag
All with tracé elements
Not Sure About this
On the Triton forum on here at the top of the page should Be the information you need

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But when you send in Your Triton test and you get Your results Triton Will advise you on what too dose and how Much if necessary, of all your trace elements ..the only thing you need too do is dose so your alk stays at 8 dkh ..

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you guys. triton's answer is in the dropbox manuals.

Screenshot_2018-01-23-11-23-01-1024x640.png

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but it's certainly not as clear as ATI, who also offer icp testing. triton needs to be more transparent, or i'm dropping them. i'm at a loss why triton can't be more detailed.

for example, ATI (yes the light mfg), also does icp and offers a 3 part additive system, provides a better disclosure than triton currently does. how hard could it be to be upfront and informative?

Screenshot_2018-01-30-01-06-18.png

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any reason for this or is it just a matter of curiosity? as far as I remember the whole idea wasn't meant to have the user tinkering with all the elements and it was just a matter of setting your alkalinity.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@landlubber, just a practical desire to know.

say one's vanadium (or any element) was very high (or very low) from an icp test. wouldn't you want to know which core7 jug this was coming from? say one had a group of elements that was high or low - well if we had a contents list, perhaps the answer could be as simple as 'oh, just hold back the dose (or increase the dose) on part X'.

it'd be great once everything was 'set' and stayed set, but getting there's an issue.

also, i want to know if iodine is contained in any core7 part. so we'd find out if we need to dose iodine on a continuing basis. i heard iodine isn't stable when mixed with other substances, so perhaps there's no iodine in core7. if we knew, we could conclude 'oh, i need a separate dosing channel for micro dosing iodine' or 'i don't need to continually add iodine, core7 takes care of that'.

with ATI's list above, one could reasonably conclude (or at least have an initial warm n fuzzy feeling about), that 'oh, my iodine is taken care of'.

this iodine example has an easy fix, but without an ingredients list, there's no way to know.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@landlubber, just a practical desire to know.

say one's vanadium (or any element) was very high (or very low) from an icp test. wouldn't you want to know which core7 jug this was coming from? say one had a group of elements that was high or low - well if we had a contents list, perhaps the answer could be as simple as 'oh, just hold back the dose (or increase the dose) on part X'.

it'd be great once everything was 'set' and stayed set, but getting there's an issue.

also, i want to know if iodine is contained in any core7 part. so we'd find out if we need to dose iodine on a continuing basis. i heard iodine isn't stable when mixed with other substances, so perhaps there's no iodine in core7. if we knew, we could conclude 'oh, i need a separate dosing channel for micro dosing iodine' or 'i don't need to continually add iodine, core7 takes care of that'.

with ATI's list above, one could reasonably conclude (or at least have an initial warm n fuzzy feeling about), that 'oh, my iodine is taken care of'.

this iodine example has an easy fix, but without an ingredients list, there's no way to know.
personally as far as I've ever seen Triton's intentions for the end user of their system is simply to follow their procedure and should adjustment be required its stated on the icp test and advice for corrective action is recommended. I think the reason they don't state every element in each component is to prevent exactly what you're talking about, users tinkering with the program and nuking their systems.
I'm sure you're a capable person and don't take it as I don't believe you can do what you're saying but the fact is 9 out of 10 would probably cause more grief than good in their tanks and in the end that doesn't look good for Triton.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no offense taken @landlubber . i would just like a little more control and transparency than currently available, even if i do nothing with the information. but then at least the choice is our own. i'd liken it living in a democracy vs a totalitarian state. our tanks, our choice.

if triton's policy decision for us really is benevolent top-down, there's no reason they shouldn't disclose.

this ties in with the another thread, where i'm trying to find out the concentrations for their additives. triton's website has a few handly calculators (https://www.triton-lab.de/en/calculators/diy-calculator/) which are a great start.

i can't be the only one who's interested... this is like a mystery novel with no ending, arg!

Last edited:

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they list the ingredients of the Core 7 in detail because by dosing them, you should be maintaining NSW values with each element supposedly in proportion to the dKH drop, so elements should not be accumulating from Core7 dosing if your alk is steady...

You can figure out the concentrations of the elements based on the ICP recommendations given for your water volume, but stating it on a bottle would certainly be clear. By not doing so, it promotes reliance on their ICP tests rather than another company's. Equally, you can still rely on their ICP tests and just buy the traces you need from a laboratory supplier as analytical-grade chemicals with >99.5% purity and then create your own trace mixes of a known concentration that works for you.

I believe 1ml of Core 7 raises alk by 0.195dKH per 100L of aquarium water. There's a Core7 dosing calculator (excel spreadsheet) available for download on the Triton Applied Reef Bioscience Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/729738600413073/files/

Titus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no offense taken @landlubber . i would just like a little more control and transparency than currently available, even if i do nothing with the information. but then at least the choice is our own. i'd liken it living in a democracy vs a totalitarian state. our tanks, our choice.

if triton's policy decision for us really is benevolent top-down, there's no reason they shouldn't disclose.

this ties in with the another thread, where i'm trying to find out the concentrations for their additives. triton's website has a few handly calculators (https://www.triton-lab.de/en/calculators/diy-calculator/) which are a great start.

i can't be the only one who's interested... this is like a mystery novel with no ending, arg!
If you are really dying to know, you could always take a sample from each bottle and send them back to them to be analyzed. :D

RoyinSpain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you guys. triton's answer is in the dropbox manuals.

Screenshot_2018-01-23-11-23-01-1024x640.png
Is this doc available for the Core 7 BASE Elements for use in a Triton system? (This pdf is for Core 7 REEF for use in non-triton method tanks). Thanks!

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Core7 Base Elements and Core7 Reef Supplements are very similar formulations, everything stated in the above document is accurate for C7 BE

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but curious if 3a and 3b have different components to raised alkalinity. For example, 3a is sodium bicarbonate and 3b is soda ash? If this is true, one may be better to dose during the day (soda ash) due to its ability to raise ph better. Then, since this is a refugium based method and most people time their fuge light at night, it would be better to dose the bicarb solution during this period. I noticed 3a and 3b form a precipitate when mixed at normal strength so dosing this slurry seems to risky to me.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally there was a small difference between the 2 parts but this is no longer the case. You can add together and dose at double the rate if necessary.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back