Triton fuge planning and help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to meet the refugium requirements for my 220g tank and due to space limitatiins of the store bought stand I am going to run two sump tanks.

The first is essentially a 27 gallon heavy duty storage tub. All drains will dump into this tub and this will be my refugium. On the other end I have a 2" bulkhead that will drain into the 40 gallon breeder where the skimmer and return pump will be.

There is plenty of room in the 40g tank for the skimmer and return pump and a third chamber. So, I have the following options.

1. Use the third chamber for an ATO tank. I could put a float on the third chamber wall and pump right into the return pump section.
  2. Extend the size of the fuge by using the first chamber in the 40g for more fuge space, then second chamber would be skimmer and last the return pump as usual.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thunk so as well. What i am struggling with is how to make the dividers. The first one for the sump chamber is easy but how do i do a good bubble trap to the return chamber right off the sump chamber?

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will think about it if I cant figure out the dividers. I have a good friend who owns a glass company and he offered to cut all my glass for the sump. All I have to do is figure out the measurements

Most sump designs have a single wall after the skimmer chamber. However in mine it is going right to the return pump. Is is as simple and putting the three wall bubble trap immediately after the skimer chamber?

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this? 20170924_211936.jpg

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, thanks for the sanity checks!
I am planning on using the Reef Octopus 250 INT. This one looks like it can handle the tank size, has an external DC motor and I have enough room for it.

It lists 7.0 to 8.5 for proper operation. Plan on making the wall a little higher and then just put the skimmer on a platform if necessary. At least that seems to be the conventional wisdom..

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the most efficiency from your skimmer the water should leave "under" baffle, this is due to proteins naturally rising in the water. If you want to set the water height for that section then you could place the over baffle after the under....

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back