Triton ICP results

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my results. It looks like I may have a problem with iron? Anything that sticks out to anyone?

I am having some algae problems, and i thought high phosphates; but that doesn't seem to be the case or the algae is disguising it?

Triton is showing my calcium & magnesium, but I don't see any measurement for alkalinity. Or am I missing something--probably.

thanks for any comments.

I tried to download my results, but they were in pdf format and couldn't get it to load. So, if u hit the attachment, it will load.

Attachments

• tritonlab1 (1) (1).pdf
    183 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unusual to see iron if you are not dosing any.
I agree - I dose iron on a daily base and I have not seen any Fe concentrations. it could be " happens" result - if it consist in the next test you do - try to see if there is any pure iron parts in the system. Do you use GFO? Could be a reason if you change recently and not rinse it enough
I do not see any big issues.
I agree - I had love to have that result :D

ICP can´t measure alkalinity and Triton does not do it in the normal ICP tests. Theirs N-DOC give a figure of alkalinity that can be used if the system is normal (read your pH, Boron and phosphate is normal)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not dosing iron, at least not knowingly. I do dose TM All for Reef. I guess it could be coming from a magnet, but I checked them and they all look good; none of them are more than about 1 year old and I have never subjected them to vinegar.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - I dose iron on a daily base and I have not seen any Fe concentrations. it could be " happens" result - if it consist in the next test you do - try to see if there is any pure iron parts in the system. Do you use GFO? Could be a reason if you change recently and not rinse it enough

I agree - I had love to have that result :D

ICP can´t measure alkalinity and Triton does not do it in the normal ICP tests. Theirs N-DOC give a figure of alkalinity that can be used if the system is normal (read your pH, Boron and phosphate is normal)

Sincerely Lasse

thx. I don[t use GFO. Unless something is leaching from the return pump, wavemakers, heaters, magnets, etc., I have no idea where the iron is coming from; but as u suggest, maybe it's a "happens" result.

thanks for the info on the alk, and your positive comment.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iron result in not bad, just unusual.

Here's what I observed:

Iron (Fe). The natural iron level varies a lot with depth, but surface seawater may have only 0.006 µg/L. The Triton LOD = 0.3 µg/L. I dose iron, and when I dose it I boost iron to roughly 1-2 µg/L, which would be detectable. This sample was taken more than a week after the last iron dosing, and none was detected as it gets depleted in the meanwhile. I’ve not yet seen a Triton test result for a real aquarium sample that had detectable iron, but that doesn’t mean these tanks are necessarily deficient. Iron is also a case where the form is critical, and ICP cannot distinguish form. Binding to organic matter, for example, can alter the bioavailability of iron.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iron result in not bad, just unusual.

Here's what I observed:

Iron (Fe). The natural iron level varies a lot with depth, but surface seawater may have only 0.006 µg/L. The Triton LOD = 0.3 µg/L. I dose iron, and when I dose it I boost iron to roughly 1-2 µg/L, which would be detectable. This sample was taken more than a week after the last iron dosing, and none was detected as it gets depleted in the meanwhile. I’ve not yet seen a Triton test result for a real aquarium sample that had detectable iron, but that doesn’t mean these tanks are necessarily deficient. Iron is also a case where the form is critical, and ICP cannot distinguish form. Binding to organic matter, for example, can alter the bioavailability of iron.

At this point everything seems to be thriving in my system: fish, torches, hammers, ricordea mushrooms. My zoas and palys aren't dying, but they're not thriving either. I'll probably wait 1-2 months before I get another test--unless, I am advised differently with urgency--and go from there. thx!

I really haven't tested my system on a consistent basis... this is changing. I have my hannah checkers: alk, cal, phosphorous low, and testing kits for mag and nitrate on order. I have worked out a regiment to get my tank's parameters in the best working condition possible. I also have a dosing pump on order, so I can dose over a 24 hour period, rather than dumping the All for Reef once or twice daily.

thx for your thoughts.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back