Triton method sump flow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mariog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm setting up my reef ready 65 gallon tank with ruby 30 sump again after a couple of years and am interested in diving into the Triton method. The tank that I have came with 1 - 1" drain and 1 - 3/4" return. With my rocks and sand I would assume the volume to be 55 gallons in the display and 25 gallons in the sump for a total of 80 gallons. This would call for a pump that has a flow rate of at least 800 GPH. The information I have read is that the 1" Megaflow drain can only provide 600 GPH. Would this difference be enough to not be able to use the triton method? Does anyone have suggestions on how to increase the flow in the sump without drilling more holes in the tank?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine on a tank of that size. A one inch pipe can naturally flow more then 800 gph with natural pressure. I see no reason you can't occomodate a proper flow on that amount of water volume.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm setting up my reef ready 65 gallon tank with ruby 30 sump again after a couple of years and am interested in diving into the Triton method. The tank that I have came with 1 - 1" drain and 1 - 3/4" return. With my rocks and sand I would assume the volume to be 55 gallons in the display and 25 gallons in the sump for a total of 80 gallons. This would call for a pump that has a flow rate of at least 800 GPH. The information I have read is that the 1" Megaflow drain can only provide 600 GPH. Would this difference be enough to not be able to use the triton method? Does anyone have suggestions on how to increase the flow in the sump without drilling more holes in the tank?

Thank you for reading.
How's everything going with your tank , sump, and triton method? Problems , discoveries? I just converted my mega flow and used both holes for drains Herbie style and ran the return up the back, was super easy. I have a 1900 GPh pump on max...think it's probably too much flow for the sump...just doesn't seem like it at the moment.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 gph on that tank will be more than enough for Triton. I run 600 gph on my 200 gallon total system Triton tank with very good results. I do however, have a lot of power head flow including a gyre in the sump to compensate for low return flow. But 600 gph on a 80 gallon system should be plenty without any excessive power head flow.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 GPH on that tank will be more than enough for Triton. I run 600 GPH on my 200 gallon total system Triton tank with very good results. I do however, have a lot of power head flow including a gyre in the sump to compensate for low return flow. But 600 gph on a 80 gallon system should be plenty without any excessive power head flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back