Triton method sump

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to fully go all out Triton method with a sump that will go on my Red Sea 525 XL, which has a 108 DT volume. The current set up I used the 5 gallon ATO tank they included with their package deal, drilled a hole in the side and plumbed it in to use as my refugium. However, I want to get to where I have at least 11 gallon refugium per Triton specs. The sump that was included with the tank package goes right to left and it seems all the "off the shelf" Triton method sumps out there go left to right. I have contemplated using what I have and cutting out the glass panels where the water drops down into the sump and where the socks are supposed to be, remove the 5 gallon fuge that towers over the intake and sock area then get a glass panel made that I can silicone in closer to the skimmer on the left side, in essence making the right side all the fuge area where the water drops down from the DT. This would be perfect, however, my mind can't wrap itself around struggling to remove those current glass panels and what mess I would get myself into and 1) finding someone to make me a new glass weir to my specs with slots cut for the water to run through vs over the weir so I can put mesh material in place to keep the macro algae from going over into the sump area 2) then trying to silicone it in. All of that is going to require me to empty everything, clean and dry it so the silicone would stick and then what is the correct height would be a challenge. I prefer an adjustable weir but am unsure I am confident enough to try and make a set up accordingly, especially out of clunky/heavy glass. I don't feel comfortable having an acrylic weir made to put in place, as the sump is all glass and getting the silicone to hold up keeping acrylic sealed to glass would pose a challenge. Obviously I will have to empty the current sump anyway going a new sump route. The pluses of a new sump is I can get it in acrylic, which would be far lighter.

Currently the sump that came with this unit is 35 1/2" wide x 19 3/4" deep x 16 1/4" tall. I like the dimensions, as it is snug as a bug in a rug in terms of fitting into the left side part of the Red Sea cabinet. The premade sumps that are made for Triton method all seem to be either 34" wide x 15" deep x 15" tall or then the next size is 44" wide. With the 34" wide I feel I would lose too much space in the sump that I would like to reserve for the fuge area. I even researched removing the wall between the left and right sides of the underneath cabinet in order to slide the bigger sump in there but found that it is a supporting wall so that won't work. Again, the sump I have, dimension wise is ideal, if I could alter it to fit my needs....or even wanted to.....I far prefer to buy one made to my specs. However, the flip side of that is I would then have a big clunky glass sump that I have no use for. Being an avid recycler I really would prefer to make what I have into what I want it to be.

With all that whining out of the way I suppose I'm interested in finding out any information I can get about either a) making my sump into the way I want it to be or b) finding someone to custom make me an acrylic sump to my specs that will fit back into this cabinet as snugly as this one is but with a new larger fuge section.

I am attaching two pictures of my current setup. Today I moved all my extra rock in my sump as far to the left as possible along with the skimmer. After getting all that done I really like the space I "could" have for a larger refugium if I can remove those existing glass panels and find a way to replace it with a newer designed weir for refugium first from the DT, then over to skimmer section before going into the return pump section.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can make suggestions, offer advice or lead me to a good custom sump acrylic manufacturer.

Sump 1.jpg Sump whole.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back