Triton method vs brs 2-part/balling hybrid

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of these two methods will provide the most growth and coloration with lps and a little if any sps? Brs 2-part/Balling hybrid, or
triton method?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term Triton method is somewhat ambiguous, and IMO, the comparison is not really apples to apples.

The BRS 2 part/balling hybrid method does not supply trace elements in a way that offsets consumption.

If it is being compared to Triton that is using ICP and trace element dosing to maintain trace elements, then I think one would want to use a trace element method with the BRS/Balling as well, for comparison.

If the Triton method is just meaning to use their core alk and calcium and magnesium supplements, it is still claiming to add enough elements to offset consumption.

So IMO, it is not a fair comparison.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been using Fauna Marin balling light and other Fauna products here. I have to say I’m pretty impressed…

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested, impressed how?

Please don’t take this as a form of criticizing my previous methods used, but since I’ve been using it:

- my LPS are incredibly “fluffy”
- my corals have been developing such nice colors that have never been there
- my sps are showing such a great polyp extension
- the tank is looking overall incredibly clean

Pics about these observations:
91078EDA-D506-4965-85CE-4A130B00D42E.jpeg

C57333BE-40F9-4F11-ACF7-2B63F93AC4C2.jpeg

4F6068AE-3679-4EB0-9A33-5FCF3E4088A1.jpeg

512E7263-0F43-4B42-AE0E-C83DCC41990E.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t take this as a form of criticizing my previous methods used, but since I’ve been using it:

- my LPS are incredibly “fluffy”
- my corals have been developing such nice colors that have never been there
- my sps are showing such a great polyp extension
- the tank is looking overall incredibly clean

Pics about these observations:
91078EDA-D506-4965-85CE-4A130B00D42E.jpeg

C57333BE-40F9-4F11-ACF7-2B63F93AC4C2.jpeg

4F6068AE-3679-4EB0-9A33-5FCF3E4088A1.jpeg

512E7263-0F43-4B42-AE0E-C83DCC41990E.jpeg
Can't argue with that, Nice results

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more note on Triton. The supplements for the “Core” method include traces aimed at supporting a large (10% size) refugium. They have “other method” supplements that don’t require a refugium, although I haven’t tested the two side by side. The concept is the core supposedly includes things like increased iodine, potassium, manganese etc that macroalgae use in abundance. I don’t know if triton has confirmed these elements specifically, but that’s their aim with the different products.

Last edited:

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to Triton is Reef Moonshiners Method. I was doing Triton Other Method and things were doing ok but not great. I researched Reef Moonshiners and converted about 7 weeks ago. I find the Moonshine MUCH more flexible. So far all corals and fish have responded well. My Alk consumption has increased. On Triton Other Alk consumption was about 1 Dkh a day. Shortly after starting the Shine Alk consumption is about 2.5 per day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an opinion to distinguish these choices.

Here's a thread on my "dream" method:

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term Triton method is somewhat ambiguous, and IMO, the comparison is not really apples to apples.

The BRS 2 part/balling hybrid method does not supply trace elements in a way that offsets consumption.

If it is being compared to Triton that is using ICP and trace element dosing to maintain trace elements, then I think one would want to use a trace element method with the BRS/Balling as well, for comparison.

If the Triton method is just meaning to use their core alk and calcium and magnesium supplements, it is still claiming to add enough elements to offset consumption.

So IMO, it is not a fair comparison.
Sorry to revive this post, but @Randy Holmes-Farley what do you mean by saying that BRS/TM hybrid method does not supply trace elements in a way that offsets consumption? I thought the whole point of A,K and C was to supply trace elements...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive this post, but @Randy Holmes-Farley what do you mean by saying that BRS/TM hybrid method does not supply trace elements in a way that offsets consumption? I thought the whole point of A,K and C was to supply trace elements...

Perhaps we mean different products by BRS TM hybrid.

The use of calcium chloride, sodium bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide (The BRS part of the hybrid, though it need not be bought from BRS) and Tropic Marin Balling Part C (the TM part of the hybrid) is the method I meant. Many people now use it and its a great choice. It is not intended to offset any element consumption except calcium and alkalinity.

If you add any sort of trace elements on top of that (such as the Tropic Marin ones you mentioned), then that can potentially offset consumption.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps we mean different products by BRS TM hybrid.

The use of calcium chloride, sodium bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide (The BRS part of the hybrid, though it need not be bought from BRS) and Tropic Marin Balling Part C (the TM part of the hybrid) is the method I meant. Many people now use it and its a great choice. It is not intended to offset any element consumption except calcium and alkalinity.

If you add any sort of trace elements on top of that (such as the Tropic Marin ones you mentioned), then that can potentially offset consumption.
Gotcha! I am still debating between this BRS/TM (with trace elements) and the ESV 2 parts + trace elements..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! I am still debating between this BRS/TM (with trace elements) and the ESV 2 parts + trace elements..

Both good choices that, IMO, will give identical results. :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back