Triton Results, need some help please

traxxonwaxx99

210 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I just did my first Triton Test because I've had some issues with SPS. It seems most parameters are in line but there are a few that are OFF the charts.

Looks like I have a BIG issue with Nickel which red at 86mg/l where acceptable is 5mg/l.

Also Lithium is elevated at 283mg/l where it should be 200mg/l.

Finally Barium is also huge at 260mg/l where it should 10mg/l.

I know I have a bunch of frag racks where the magnets are showing signs of rust around them. Could this be the root cause of everything? Also, could this be the reason SPS are bleaching? Thanks in advanced with any help!

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty magnets? Yeh that's a problem. Not sure what metals they would be releasing, but you should pull anything that is corroding (magnets/metals) from your system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider the lithium or barium to be a concern, but I think you have the units wrong. They can't be that high.

Red does not necessarily mean bad, it just means significantly deviated from NSW. Those two are relatively nontoxic/low toxicity and are present in NSW at very low concentrations to begin with.

OP
OP
traxxonwaxx99

traxxonwaxx99

210 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, getting rid of the magnets today, I've been watching it for a while now but read somewhere that rust shouldn't be a problem. I guess that was wrong!

OP
OP
traxxonwaxx99

traxxonwaxx99

210 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with Ni that high for a period of time, could it be an issue with bonding to my rock and I would need to change it out?

OP
OP
traxxonwaxx99

traxxonwaxx99

210 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, here are the Li Ni Ba test results. It showing Barium and crazy hi levels and lithium is pretty high too. Are there some Magnets that could cause this on top of the Nickel?

IMG_0685.PNG

IMG_0687.PNG

OP
OP
traxxonwaxx99

traxxonwaxx99

210 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that many zeovit users (which I am) experience high Barium, maybe it's a zeolite issue. I think I'm more concerned about the Nickel levels right now

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lithium is elevated in many salt mixes and that is the likely source for most people. Not a concern.

I'm not sure of the source of the barium, but I wouldn't worry about it. Barium is chemically similar to calcium, magnesium and strontium but a bit bigger. I see no reason to be concerned at these very low levels, even if higher than NSW. To put it in perspective, you have only 1 barium for each 5,000 calcium ions. For something whose toxicity is likely to arise from looking somewhat like calcium and messing with calcium processes, this seems low.

radicaltour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue where my triton test showed high level of nickel. However, I believe that was added by me via overdosing the Korallen coral system trace elements.
For the past month I've changed 100% of the water with newer salt (red sea blue bucket), added Triton's Detox, Cuprisorb and the poly-filter. I've also removed the black sand bed (some of it was magnetized).
Even with all that remediation, a new SPS frag would still have its flesh melt away within 3 days time.

Could there be a bad strain of bacteria (Vibrio) that's been in my tank this whole time?

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back