Triton setup support question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone and @Tim@Triton

I have a reefer 350 and planning to use the Triton core 7. I am wondering if my sump modification with 7.5 gallon space for cheatos with around 80 gallon total water volume can be use to run Triton core 7. Currently I have no algea in the display as I’m running cheatos, GFO, and carbon reactor beside my skimmer.

Picture below: I make the first part of my sump as refegium as the cheato will have first contact with water from the display. Will this 7.5 space support the Triton core 7 method? Thanks!

3C71B6B9-B80F-4FE0-A8AD-F90906859D56.jpeg

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert on this topic (I just recently decided to try this method myself). I did watch the BRS videos on the triton method (about 10x each) and I do remember Randy saying to the extent of,,, if the refugium size is not exactly the 10% size of the total water volume in the tank, it's not a deal breaker but to concentrate more on how you're going to light the refugium. Based on this, I would say that your refugium should work, as long as you have a good game plan for the rest of the details ie: lights, skimmer, flow, etc.

John

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert on this topic (I just recently decided to try this method myself). I did watch the BRS videos on the triton method (about 10x each) and I do remember Randy saying to the extent of,,, if the refugium size is not exactly the 10% size of the total water volume in the tank, it's not a deal breaker but to concentrate more on how you're going to light the refugium. Based on this, I would say that your refugium should work, as long as you have a good game plan for the rest of the details ie: lights, skimmer, flow, etc.

John
Thank you! I think my 73 display only have 60 gallon of water since there is live rock in it.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close enough ;)

Just make sure the algae gets plenty of light and flow and it should be fine.
Thanks Tim! It should have plenty of light since I’m using two unit of less. Should I add other type of Marco algea beside cheato? Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the more algae species you have the better.
Hi Tim, I have start dosing the core7 base element. So far the cheato grews really well. However, I have to dose 20ml of each bottles. Does that seems high?

Tank parameter
8.1 dkh
430 cal
1500 mag

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to use triton method but my 2 month old tank alk is at 8.7. I am dosing very little. 10mg of each per day. My load is very small. How do I get my water to 8.0 to test triton? Won't this negatively effect my corals? Does it really matter if refug and skimmer compartments are reversed? I grow a tremendous amount of macro algae and my skimmer would barely fit in my 2nd compartment. I am using an emerald 39 sump. I cannot replace my sump. If I don't use my filter socks won't detritous build up in sump? No floss at all even before pump return? Wont this create a pump clogging?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to use triton method but my 2 month old tank alk is at 8.7. I am dosing very little. 10mg of each per day. My load is very small. How do I get my water to 8.0 to test triton? Won't this negatively effect my corals? Does it really matter if refug and skimmer compartments are reversed? I grow a tremendous amount of macro algae and my skimmer would barely fit in my 2nd compartment. I am using an emerald 39 sump. I cannot replace my sump. If I don't use my filter socks won't detritous build up in sump? No floss at all even before pump return? Wont this create a pump clogging?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You can lower your alk and cal by not dosing two part and let it fall naturally. Or you can reduce both two parts to 5 Ml to let it fall. The reason for algae be in the first chamber and remove filter sock is because the algae can have the first contact with the nurtian before it get remove anything. You can put a small power head in the refgium if you don’t detritus. I’m still new to Triton, so this is just my opinion.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim, I have start dosing the core7 base element. So far the cheato grews really well. However, I have to dose 20ml of each bottles. Does that seems high?

Tank parameter
8.1 dkh
430 cal
1500 mag

I don't know the answer to your question specifically, but wouldn't stock level which you don't mention

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the answer to your question specifically, but wouldn't stock level which you don't mention

My tank had 80 gallon of water. It was using 30 ml of brightwell 2 part before and consume around 0.7 alk per day. Since core 7 is much more concentrated, I’m wondering if 20 ml core7 seems normal?

Tobbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dose core 7 , 70ml each element have ca 2500 litres but not heavy stocked SPS yet so i guess i have to invest quite much into triton jars

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back