Triton with Eshopps R300 sump?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions. I have a 110gal display tank with the Eshoops R300 sump.
...Note please bare with my as I try to explain my thoughts and set up and ask my questions.

I want to use the Triton method but I may have fuge space issues.
The fuge section in the Eshopps R300 holds just under 6gal. of water.
The skimmer section holds just over 13gal. of water.
To use the Triton method, I need 10% or more of the volume for algae. I estimate that I have about 110 to 130gal total water volume.

What I have done is to move my skimmer into the fuge section of the sump and use the skimer section as my fuge. That gave me the 10% or better volume.
The problem I seem to be having is the skimmer does not seem to be doing it's job this way. It still pulls nasties out but the new fuge section cakes up with crud and film that the skimmer would normally pull out.

If I reverse it back to the way the sump was designed to work, I will not have the 10% volume required.

Here are pics of the sump for reference

20180118_055347.jpg
20180118_055430.jpg

(this is NOT my sump. Pic is for reference only)

You can see in the pics how the water flows through the sump. It's quite slow in the fuge section and there is no surface movement in the skimmer section.

There are pics of MY sump.
20171231_071419.jpg
20180105_055702.jpg
20180105_055739.jpg

(The live rock rubble has been removed since this pic)

As you can see, I have a lot of live rock in my display. I think I have about 110 to 130gal total water volume with a medium bio load.
If you have thoughts on this or think I have more or less water PLEASE let me know. Also let me know if my bio load is indeed medium.

So...
Should I put the skimmer back in the skimmer section and move the algae to the fuge section?

Based on the pics of my system and sump, about how much water volume do you think I really have?

Would the Triton method work with a 6 to 8% water volume fuge if I switched it back?

Should I leave it as is? If so, how do I get the crud out the algae section or stop it from accumulating in the first place? (No filter sock per triton)

If i switch the sump back to normal operation, would I want to use Triton other methods? Or Triton method core7

Would I still have to do water changes with Triton other methods?

I know this was long but I really want/need the help and guidance in getting this set up right.

Last edited:

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is have the skimmer in the skimmer department and the refug in the refug department. They made the refug department with low flow so it does not get disturbed. You will have more results with your skimmer in the high flow section. I have the R-200

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is that a clown fish next to your skimmer ;) Is he in time out?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is have the skimmer in the skimmer department and the refug in the refug department. They made the refug department with low flow so it does not get disturbed. You will have more results with your skimmer in the high flow section. I have the R-200

But how would this work out for the Triton method?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think fuge light efficiency has more impact than fuge size. You may need to trim it more often(smaller space) possibly reducing nutrients returned to the system via break down. If you see a decrease in growth or coloration of corals, perhaps dosing of amino acids and or n and p. But not sure if that would actually be needed, all educated guesses.

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the redirect here Dj City. Nice looking tank.
So...
Should I put the skimmer back in the skimmer section and move the algae to the fuge section?

I would if for no reason than your skimmer is your primary means of nutrient export. The refugium will bind/use some as will carbon and GFO, but getting adequate flow to your skimmer would be most important in my opinion.

Based on the pics of my system and sump, about how much water volume do you think I really have?

That's tough. Substantially less than you think. It's hard to tell from your pictures how far back your rock is from front to back, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were below a net of 80 gallons. What are the dimensions of your tank and can you provide a side shot?

Would the Triton method work with a 6 to 8% water volume fuge if I switched it back?

Yes. Triton's recommendations are guidelines, not absolutes. If the smaller refugium becomes limiting as your tank fills out, you can always add a supplementary refugium later. I'd run with what I have first.

Should I leave it as is? If so, how do I get the crud out the algae section or stop it from accumulating in the first place? (No filter sock per triton)

No, see above. I would want more flow to my skimmer. That crud will be teaming with life. Leave it in place or if it really bothers you, stick a power head in and get it up in the water column so the skimmer can take some out.

If i switch the sump back to normal operation, would I want to use Triton other methods? Or Triton method core7

Stick with the Triton Method Core7... if you can find it or don't mind subsidizing their packaging failure until the price comes down. #dorighttriton

Would I still have to do water changes with Triton other methods?

No water changes unless there is a problem and you need to dilute an element that has risen above safe levels.

I know this was long but I really want/need the help and guidance in getting this set up right.

No worries. You will be miles ahead converting over from an existing system.

Good luck!

M

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to calculate your actual volume.

I do the following calculation in the metric system – it’s easier for me. The density of limestone is around 2.7 kg/l. Let us say that you have around 45 kg limestone -> divide with 2.7 -> 16,5 L (volume)

45 Kg is 100 lb, 1L is 0.26 gal ->16.5 L = 4,29 gallon

100 lb limestone will give a volume of 4.29 gal -> 1 lb -> 0.0429 gal

If you know the weight of your lime stones in lb – just multiply with 0.0429 to get the volume in gal. Its not exact but around.

Now you can calculate your actual volume of water with help of the dimensions of your tank and sump minus the volume of the rockwork

I suggest that you move the skimmer to the skimmer section if there is more flow there as post 2 indicate.

The 10 % is not critical and you can also run Triton Core7 other methods if you need because of limited fuge volume.

Edit calculator here

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dj City when you had the skimmer in the fuge section of your R-300, how well did the skimmer actually perform? Was the only issue detritus build up in that section or was it poor skimmer performance as well?

Thanks for your insight! :)

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Water Dog
The skimmer still preformed but not quite as well. The detritus build up in the skimmer section was ridiculous though. I switched it back yesterday.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have the best of both worlds.

If I can get away with the fuge section of the R-300 for the triton method, I can still use my filter socks.
The way my sump is designed, water flows straight from the overflow to both the sock section and the fuge section independently. That being said, I could still use my filter sock and run the triton method because the algae would still get what it needs.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but to have it to be effective you need that as much as possible of the water pass by the fuge. If it is possible put in a small pump for backcirkulation to the fuge from the skimmer section. with this method it should also be possible to adjust the flow over the fuge if the fuge get to effective.

Sincerely Lasse

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may disagree with Lasse on a lot but his suggestion here is a good one. I would avoid using the filter socks. They trap an awful lot of good stuff that will feed both your refugium and corals.

Someone recently posted (and I apologize I can't recall who it was as they deserve the credit) they used their filter socks for those occasions when they absolutely needed to siphon detritus form their DT or refugium. By passing the water through the sock into a bucket, they could then poor the filtered water back into their system.

Again a little muck is good for a natural system, but if you gotta do some house cleaning I thought it was a brilliant idea.

M

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me understand.
You are saying that the way it is now the fuge will not get enough flow?

I should put a pump in the skimmer section and run a tube into the fuge?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this idea work?
I have my carbon / GFO reactor in my skimmer section. I could run the outlet into the fuge.
Would that be enough?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back