Triton with Softy Dominant Systems?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used Triton on mixed reefs and SPS dominant systems but got in a discussion recently about how it might work with softy dominant systems. Since core 7 is based on alk consumption which softies won't use much of, would core 7 on a tank like this work? It seems to me that softies would use higher levels of trace elements relative to alk / cal and things would get out of line (no?). I'm thinking something like Triton infusion would be more appropriate for a tank like this but curious what others and Triton think. Thanks

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We believe that anything that maintains Alkalinity and stability in your aquarium is a good thing for all animals being cared for. Actually some delicate fish require this level of stability to keep them free from stress.

You will have uptake of specific elements in your filter (especially if you are running a refugium) and within the live rock so this will also help to maintain a good balance. Your consumption will not be as high as an SPS system with high calcium, magnesium and alkalinity demands but this will only mean that your dose rates should be lower.

TRITON ICP-OES and TRITON N-DOC Lab Tests will ensure that you do not have any unwanted contaminants in your system and will help avoid nutrient imbalance and potential for nuisance algae and cyanobacteria outbreaks. Over time a stable tank will also take on a more natural appearance with coralline algae growth covering all of the rock surfaces like you observe when out on the reef.

I hope that this helps.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back