Trochus snails or pests?

FishandFire

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2022
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Hyde Park
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I noticed white specs appearing on my ulva and chaeto in my sump. They’ve now grown to be quite large. Initially I thought they were trochus snail offspring, but I am more concerned now that they might be a pest. They are eating holes through the ulva and have almost devoured half of what I had.

For reference I have a 90g with a 40g sump total water volume is 90g with displacement. So far it’s stocked with a pair of clowns, 2 scarlet shrimp, 4 urchins, an emerald crab, and half a dozen trochus snails. (there were 5 nassarius snails in there for about a week before causing problems and being removed)

IMG_7597.jpeg IMG_7598.jpeg IMG_7595.jpeg IMG_7594.jpeg
 
Agreed with the above - those are pineapple sponges, and they're filter feeders (so they're not eating your macroalgae; I'd look for other possible causes for the issues you're having with the algae).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new