Trochus spawning

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning (still going on) the Trochus snails in both my display tank and my frag tank are spawning simultaneously. Kind of interesting considering the tanks are not linked in any way and aren't even in the same room. Anyone know exactly what triggers this in Trochus snails? I thought maybe moon phase but the current phase is unremarkable (31.7% waning crescent).

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning (still going on) the Trochus snails in both my display tank and my frag tank are spawning simultaneously. Kind of interesting considering the tanks are not linked in any way and aren't even in the same room. Anyone know exactly what triggers this in Trochus snails? I thought maybe moon phase but the current phase is unremarkable (31.7% waning crescent).
I have always wondered if it is something to that nature... I had a similar experience where I had two separate systems have spawning snails.

I have always thought it to be such a weird and unique experience to watch it

OP
OP
jgirardnrg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered if it is something to that nature... I had a similar experience where I had two separate systems have spawning snails.

I have always thought it to be such a weird and unique experience to watch it
Really isn't much information out there on this. The season, moon phase, water parameters, etc have all been suspects but I'd say none of those add up. Today we're between seasons, between moon phases and have different water parameters in both tanks. Environmental factors are also out given the tanks are in separate rooms. The only thing NOT unique to the tanks is that both have Reef Breeders Photon V2+'s over them running the exact same schedule. Now, I've had plenty of snails hatch in my tank and have sold or traded over 600 to date. I have never seen a spawning event of this magnitude and never in the frag tank which has juvenile snails from previous spawns and no adults.

Back