Tropic Eden Morroca Rock Review

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 18lbs of the new Tropic Eden Morroca Rock (Pukani Clone) from Premium Aquatics - and in a few short words, it is easily the best dry rock available in the industry right now! The pieces I got are HUGE - considered 'small' on the Premium Aquatics website! The detail and structure is miles ahead of anything else we've seen in synthetic rock to this point.

One thing I love about the Morroca Rock line is the differences in molds - they have general purpose rock, shelf rock with an attachment point and narrow shelf (most of my lot), branches etc. that allow you to build precisely what your imagining - instead of ending up with some random rocks.

I purchased twos rock initially for my smaller zoo garden after moving the Tropic Eden Tonga piece from that over to my larger tank. I thought 18lbs (was about $250) would give me enough for the small tank with a little extra, I was surprised to see that it afforded me much more rock - enough for my main 68g LPS display. The rock is very porous, light and looks fantastic! Particularly the 'shelf' and 'branch' extensions I purchased. I have no affiliation with Premium Aquatics or Tropic Eden, but I would say I have yet to see a synthetic live rock on this level...

It was a little harder to bond vs the Tropic Eden branch rock. I ended up using dowels and Emarco mortar instead of epoxy to give it a strong hold, but I have no doubt it will hold up. Will update with some final shots of the Rockwork (along with longterm use in my large tank build thread) as time goes on.

Highly Recommended!

IMG_0322.jpeg IMG_0326.jpeg IMG_0323.jpeg IMG_0324.jpeg IMG_0325.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. *-*
Keep us posted to how it does in your tank

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That looks closest to the real thing I've seen from any manufacturer to date.

Really nice!

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0365.jpeg

In the tank - looking good! I highly recommend this rock, though it is a little harder to work with than the TE Tonga. ***** the best manufactured rock out there.

Further updates on longevity will be through the tank build thread

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about doing a re scape using just the tonga branch in my SR 80. I'm not much for wanting to spend the time to glue rocks together as I'm always moving coral etc... Looks like it would be pretty easy to get a nice structure by just placing them together in patterns. Yours came out nice by the way.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about doing a re scape using just the tonga branch in my SR 80. I'm not much for wanting to spend the time to glue rocks together as I'm always moving coral etc... Looks like it would be pretty easy to get a nice structure by just placing them together in patterns. Yours came out nice by the way.
The Tonga is a little denser than the Morroca, but they are both surprisingly light (but solid) compared to the other artificial rocks. A Tropic Eden branch prob weighs little over half of what an equivalent-size Carribsea would

addicted2acros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along..according to the information on this Rock...it doesn't require curing because it's already been cured for 6 months...is this correct?

slagman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could of been cycled. I water tested my tank because it was shipped. Had the rock set up in the tank when I filled it up with tap water. I may of killed the bacteria and that why it smells they way it does my ammonia was off the charts and I also used Dr Tims and over dosed

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back