Tropic marin balling method

Tommy Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently switching 2 part dosing to tropic marin balling method on my 220 gallons mix reef tank. Slowly Turing it to Sps dominant tank as the frags grow. Anyone with balling method please share your success and if any additional supplements needed. Just did a 20% water change and took all measurements and slowly dialing into my measurements in the following weeks. Calcium 425, alk 9, mg 1400. What's my recommend dosing I should start with ? Thanks and happy reefing

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched over too it a little over a week ago so i can't comment to it's effectiveness. I did figure out it is less concentrated than the BRS two part, not neccisarily a bad thing, just an observation. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,
I've had issues with Aquaforest salt.

With that said, AF's 3 part balling "Component 1+ 2+ 3+" (liquid) is the best dosing method I've ever used.

If anyone wants to give it a shot down the road: Here's what all there parts are and how to lock them in to 3 equal doses.

First off, It takes awhile for your ions to equal out to make 3 even daily doses per component + parts.

Simplest way to to look at three Component +'s
Component 1+ = Cal & Mag.
Component 2+ = Alk
Component 3+ = Continual coral trace elements that's in a salt mix.

The key is to lock in the dose of Comp-2 to the alk you want first.
Use that dosage for Comp-1+ and 3+ and don't change their dosage unless you have to up or lower the Comp-2+ dose.

Most likely your Cal and maybe Mag will drop lower than you desire. (Your Ions have not balanced out yet)

Do not use Comp-1+ to bring up those parameters!
It has other stuff in it and you'll never balance out to 3 equal daily doses per day, per part. You will be just chasing.

So, Here's what to do. As long as Comp-2+ is still got your alk locked in.

Bring up your Cal and or Mag with "pure" chemical forms.
I used SeaChem "Reef Advantage" Cal powder and Mag crystals to keep those two parameters in check until my ions balanced out.

You could use any pure Cal and Mag to do the same thing. I just had some "Reef Advantage" buckets in my garage.

After two weeks my ions balanced out and was at 3 equal daily doses per all three components + parts and put "Reef Advange" back in the garage.

Always kept dose the same for Comp-3+ to Comp-2+ and never changed that dose from Comp-2+. Again, Comp-3+ is trace elements.

When Comp-1+ 2+ 3+ first hit the US, Deep Water Aquatics took time to teach me this method for locking in all 3 parts equally they and were correct on how to do it.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,

With that said, AF's 3 part balling "Component 1+ 2+ 3+" (liquid) is the best dosing method I've ever used.

If anyone wants to give it a shot down the road: Here's what all there parts are and how to lock them in to 3 equal doses.

First off, It takes awhile for your ions to equal out to make 3 even daily doses per component + parts.

Component 2+ = Alk

Use that dosage for Comp-1+ and 3+ and don't change their dosage unless you have to up or lower the Comp-2+ dose.

Most likely your Cal and maybe Mag will drop lower than you desire. (Your Ions have not balanced out yet)

It has other stuff in it and you'll never balance out to 3 equal daily doses per day, per part. You will be just chasing.

I used SeaChem "Reef Advantage" Cal powder and Mag crystals to keep those two parameters in check until my ions balanced out.

You could use any pure Cal and Mag to do the same thing. I just had some "Reef Advantage" buckets in my garage.

After two weeks my ions balanced out and was at 3 equal daily doses per all three components + parts and put "Reef Advange" back in the garage.

Always kept dose the same for Comp-3+ to Comp-2+ and never changed that dose from Comp-2+. Again, Comp-3+ is trace elements.

When Comp-1+ 2+ 3+ first hit the US, Deep Water Aquatics took time to teach me this method for locking in all 3 parts equally they and were correct on how to do it.

This is a good point that no one talks about. If I want to adjust my new seawater levels for waterchanges I still use the BRS two part to make the corrections. And the reason for that is very simply that the Tropic Marin Balling Ca and Alk solutions both contribute to each other. So making corrections is gonna be really frustrating if you try and do it with the Balling solutions.

Good looking out! I forgot to mention that you still need the other ones to make corrections. The balling solutions are best only used in equal parts for maintaining levels.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,

Component 2+ = Alk

Might have to chat with you on this subject....looking at doing the components bit would need help understanding how and why..lol

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all members on this thread. I am happy to chat any of you though the true Balling Method on the phone in relation to your specific system if you would like. Just give me a call in our office during East Coast business hours at 413-367-0101.

As a Really good start, you might want to watch the video we posted on You Tube of Hans-Werner Balling explaining his Balling Method. Here is the link:

Be sure to put the captions option on to get the on screen captions while watching. Then, if you still have specific questions just give me a call! And remember, the ONLY company making Balling Salts under the direct supervision of Hans-Werner Balling himself, is Tropic Marin. (I apologize for the plug. But usually feel it is necessary due to the amount of misinformation on the internet about the Balling Method) :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all members on this thread. I am happy to chat any of you though the true Balling Method on the phone in relation to your specific system if you would like. Just give me a call in our office during East Coast business hours at 413-367-0101.

As a Really good start, you might want to watch the video we posted on You Tube of Hans-Werner Balling explaining his Balling Method. Here is the link:

Be sure to put the captions option on to get the on screen captions while watching. Then, if you still have specific questions just give me a call! And remember, the ONLY company making Balling Salts under the direct supervision of Hans-Werner Balling himself, is Tropic Marin. (I apologize for the plug. But usually feel it is necessary due to the amount of misinformation on the internet about the Balling Method) :)

@Lou Ekus

I don't think you need to apologize for the plug. You are Tropic Marin USA

The times I've talked to you on the phone, I've always felt like you would give me all day (of your time) if needed to help me understand what I've called to ask about regarding the TM product line.

Lou, In my book that goes along way :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have to chat with you on this subject....looking at doing the components bit would need help understanding how and why..lol
LOL,

That would be a private conversion :)

I can't take RH-F jumping over here beating us done over 3 part balling against his 2 part method :eek:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus
may i have your mail is pls? as making an international call may not be possible always

Thanks

While you wait for that you can also use the 'contact' link on their web portal. The question will get routed to either Lou or Hans directly. I've sent in a couple and received a message usually within 24 hours.

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,

Component 2+ = Alk

kind of an old thread. I was curious if this approach is applicable to TM and other balling salts as well. Thanks.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of an old thread. I was curious if this approach is applicable to TM and other balling salts as well. Thanks.

I can't speak to the post you are replying but if you want the actual information on 3 part go to the source. Hans-Werner. Lou also talks about it. Then the last one is the infomercial. All should be short and quick - to the point. I'm not sure exactly what you are interested in so my apologies. It is a good system and Tropic Marin is always up for a quick email, reply should you need or want clarity.

Not sure if this helps - but here you go. If you have already watched then again my apologies for repeating. Hope your day is amazing.

Here it is from the creator, Mr. Hans-Werner:

Here it is from Lou:

Here it is via social media / BRS:

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right.. thank you for your reply. I understand YouTube. My question remains. Is the method of sticking to an alk value, measuring consumption (or degradation) and setting your alk (TM #2) to compensate. Match cal (TM #1) and (TM #3) dosage but use other means to raise or lower values from TM #1 and TM #3 and once desired levels are obtained, all doses are the same and balling maintains desired values. Is this strictly for AF or other 3 part solutions as well?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right.. thank you for your reply. I understand YouTube. My question remains. Is the method of sticking to an alk value, measuring consumption (or degradation) and setting your alk (TM #2) to compensate. Match cal (TM #1) and (TM #3) dosage but use other means to raise or lower values from TM #1 and TM #3 and once desired levels are obtained, all doses are the same and balling maintains desired values. Is this strictly for AF or other 3 part solutions as well?

It sounds like maybe you need to talk to TM ( @Lou Ekus ). Only other thing I can suggest is looking at their information on the portal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back