Tropic marin pro reef high dkh

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just bought a new bucket of tropic marin pro reef salt, mixed it up and tested the water to see what dkh it would be because it says it should be between 7-8dkh. However when I test it it reads 9.6-9.9 in the two tests that I performed with Hanna, and similarly with the Red Sea test kit. Anyone have any ideas why the dkh is so high? I had this problem with the old tropic Marin bucket that this one is replacing as that one gave me a dkh of 10.8. Any ideas would be helpful and what I could do to remedy. Thanks

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you mixing your salt bucket?

I use a different brand but when it arrives, i dump the bag out into the bucket so it mixes really good.

If it was me i would be after a new brand of salt with 3 inconsistant buckets.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two consecutive buckets, of different types of salt, alk is high on both? I have a hard time believing this isn't test or salinity error.

What are you using to calibrate the salinity devices? What does the freshly mixed saltwater test for calcium and mag?

OP
OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two consecutive buckets, of different types of salt, alk is high on both? I have a hard time believing this isn't test or salinity error.
my thoughts exactly. However I recalibrated both salinity tools and had my trident test the alkalinity aswell. So pretty sure it’s right. The salt was tropic Marin pro both times just a different batch

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only small or partial water changes might higher dkh be desirable?
Not questioning your test methods or equipment.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thoughts exactly. However I recalibrated both salinity tools and had my trident test the alkalinity aswell. So pretty sure it’s right. The salt was tropic Marin pro both times just a different batch

Try mixing by cup and see what you get. I ended throwing out two refractometers...I only trust my high-precision TM hydrometer.

OP
OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only doing small or partial water exchanges might higher dkh be desirable?
Not questioning your test methods or equipment.
Well I try to keep dkh around 7-8 coz I’ve got acros. When I do a water change using 10dkh water it causes a spike in alkalinity

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I try to keep dkh around 7-8 coz I’ve got acros. When I do a water change using 10dkh water it causes a spike in alkalinity

Thank you. I received an order of Instant Ocean reef crystals momentarily ago and read same high dkh was tested by reef2reef members.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thoughts exactly. However I recalibrated both salinity tools and had my trident test the alkalinity aswell. So pretty sure it’s right

At this point I would verify 100% your salinity calibration solution is correct. If it's not one of those 35 ppt pouches (like the ph 7.0 and 10.0 things) and it maybe an older bottle or something I would be questioning it for sure.

will check in a minute

If they're also high it's almost certainly high salinity

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By cup do you mean like grams? I’m in uk lol
Lol. Per TM Pro instructions...

To achieve a salinity level of 32–35‰ (psu), dissolve 35 ml (approx. 37–40 g / 1.3–1.4 oz.) of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef for every litre or 0.5 cup (approx. 140-150 g) for every US-gallon of water in a container, circulating continuously.

OP
OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I would verify 100% your salinity calibration solution is correct. If it's not one of those 35 ppt pouches (like the ph 7.0 and 10.0 things) and it maybe an older bottle or something I would be questioning it for sure.

If they're also high it's almost certainly high salinity
It’s the Hanna calibration solution packet so it should be right

OP
OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na mixing didn’t help. And neither did mixing the salt in exact weight. Still testing 9.8dkh but the calcium is 430 now instead of 390 like it was before

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%

Back