Tropic Marin Pro Reef Mixing

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching out for some help with TMPR salt mixing. I've been using this salt for years and have recently run into some inconsistencies when mixing.

I'm mixing roughly 35 gallons of RODI with TMPR salt in a brute trash can with a sicce pump and heater. I target 1.026 and have been getting really low magnesium and calcium of late compared to what the salt should be mixing to.

The water I mixed today measured as follows:

SALINITY: 1.026
ALK: 6.6
CAL: 400
MAG: 1150

Is mixing at 80-83 degrees causing precipitation to occur or something?

Is adding RO to bring down the salinity when adding too much salt perhaps causing this?

I assume it's okay to dose these elements to bring up to the proper levels, but feel I shouldn't have to be doing this.

Any insight and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

OP
OP
B

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching out for some help with TMPR salt mixing. I've been using this salt for years and have recently run into some inconsistencies when mixing.

I'm mixing roughly 35 gallons of RODI with TMPR salt in a brute trash can with a sicce pump and heater. I target 1.026 and have been getting really low magnesium and calcium of late compared to what the salt should be mixing to.

The water I mixed today measured as follows:

SALINITY: 1.026
ALK: 6.6
CAL: 400
MAG: 1150

Is mixing at 80-83 degrees causing precipitation to occur or something?

Is adding RO to bring down the salinity when adding too much salt perhaps causing this?

I assume it's okay to dose these elements to bring up to the proper levels, but feel I shouldn't have to be doing this.

Any insight and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Hey @Lou Ekus I found you linked in on another TM Pro issue with brown residue, which I'm not dealing with thankfully. I am however, running into inconsistencies when mixing. If you would please, review my post above and advise on my questions?

I made a batch this past weekend and got similar results. I unfortunately threw out the box this batch of salt came in so I can't provide any additional information other than what I've experienced.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called TM After having a similar issue. They told me the product will stratify (start to separate) if it was on the shelf awhile. They told me to mix it and it should correct and it did. Now part of my routine is to dump my salt back and forth from bucket to bucket a few times when ordering a new batch.

Not saying this is your problem but something I never considered as a routine and think it should be

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called TM After having a similar issue. They told me the product will stratify (start to separate) if it was on the shelf awhile. They told me to mix it and it should correct and it did. Now part of my routine is to dump my salt back and forth from bucket to bucket a few times when ordering a new batch.

Not saying this is your problem but something I never considered as a routine and think it should be
Exactly why I asked what I asked. Not having used TM, not sure how it was packaged.

Upvote 0

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahem.....

I tought that this goes into common knowledge that bucket needs to be turned, rolled and "shaked" well before use,storaging for longer time causes separation, larger particles stays in top, smaller goes to bottom.....

Really not sure wich brand if salt was that (sicce maybe, but i dont remember), but they statet that in package - roll, tummble, or stir before use.....

Upvote 0

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Lou Ekus I found you linked in on another TM Pro issue with brown residue, which I'm not dealing with thankfully. I am however, running into inconsistencies when mixing. If you would please, review my post above and advise on my questions?

I made a batch this past weekend and got similar results. I unfortunately threw out the box this batch of salt came in so I can't provide any additional information other than what I've experienced.

Thank you!
Hi, sorry I missed your post above.

In cases like yours, where all measured parameters are measuring low, the most likely cause is a low salinity. This is almost always the case when seeing this. So the first place I would look would be the accuracy of that measurement. Whatever the method is that you are using, I would check it against some other, verified, method.

One word of caution....if you find that your salinity measurement, of your water change water, is off, remember that you have also checked your tank system with the same method. So you would then also measure your tank, and if you find that it is also low, you will need a very slow correction made there as well. Doing that correction too quickly will annoy your corals.

If you find that your salinity is actually correct, please give me a call in the office at 413-367-0101 and I can try to help further. But I am pretty sure that you will find what I am describing. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Upvote 0

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to clarify... It's not really that the product "will" stratify, but rather that is "may" stratify. That kind of stratification is actually only seen in a very tiny percentage of actual buckets/boxes. Also, when it does happen, it is usually a parameter or two that might be off. Not usually everything measuring low. :)

Upvote 0

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that the CEO of TM chimes in when people report issues with TM products. I use TM Classic for both of my 200 G tanks and have not had any issues - ever! Love the product and the results speak for themselves. Thanks @Lou Ekus for being a brand champ!

Upvote 0

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that the CEO of TM chimes in when people report issues with TM products. I use TM Classic for both of my 200 G tanks and have not had any issues - ever! Love the product and the results speak for themselves. Thanks @Lou Ekus for being a brand champ!
Thanks @Reeferbadness ....but I do want to clarify that I am CEO of Tropic Marin USA, not the International full company. :) But I am appreciative that efforts get noticed. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify... It's not really that the product "will" stratify, but rather that is "may" stratify. That kind of stratification is actually only seen in a very tiny percentage of actual buckets/boxes. Also, when it does happen, it is usually a parameter or two that might be off. Not usually everything measuring low. :)

Apologies on syntax. I’ve started doing it as a precaution regardless. Makes sense and just another part of the routine now!

Upvote 0

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies on syntax. I’ve started doing it as a precaution regardless. Makes sense and just another part of the routine now!
It's always a good idea to do it even if it is not "necessary" in most cases. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back