Tropic Marin reef actif

t blackwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this product...and gotten good results...Mr Farley are you familiar with it and what do you think

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just discovered it at RAP last weekend. It is according to rep a less sold salt as it geared towards those who have an Ultra-Low Nutrient System and do carbon dosing.

Leto987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used this exact product. However, Tropic Marin Bio-Actif salt has the polymers in it as well. I immediately noticed polyp extension differences. It’s does mix at a lower alk tho. Usually between 7-7.5.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure from their description exactly what it is supposed to accomplish, and so I can’t judge if I’d want it to happen in my tank, even if it worked as claimed. The description is filled with lots of good sounding statements, but not much clarity as to how those would be accomplished:

Reef Actif
  1. Features:
    For water care between water changes
    REEF ACTIF contains marine biopolymers which bind excess nutrients and other pollutants and lead to their decomposition via specialized microorganisms. This promotes a natural marine microbiology environment in the aquarium and keeps the water extremely clear.
    The activation of the microflora provides the water with numerous vitamins and other vital substances in a wholly natural manner. Corals and shells open better and display their full range of colors. Fishes, too, benefit from the stable bacteria flora and the probiotic effect; they become robust, displaying their vitality in the form of perfect coloration.”

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
t blackwell

t blackwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure from their description exactly what it is supposed to accomplish, and so I can’t judge if I’d want it to happen in my tank, even if it worked as claimed. The description is filled with lots of good sounding statements, but not much clarity as to how those would be accomplished:

Reef Actif
  1. Features:
    For water care between water changes
    REEF ACTIF contains marine biopolymers which bind excess nutrients and other pollutants and lead to their decomposition via specialized microorganisms. This promotes a natural marine microbiology environment in the aquarium and keeps the water extremely clear.
    The activation of the microflora provides the water with numerous vitamins and other vital substances in a wholly natural manner. Corals and shells open better and display their full range of colors. Fishes, too, benefit from the stable bacteria flora and the probiotic effect; they become robust, displaying their vitality in the form of perfect coloration.”
im thinking its just kind of light carbon dosing with some vitamins and such..it is super vague...im surprised more people havent said something one way or the other..but it
I just ordered some for my clam. I too am curious
well lets keep in touch about this and see what results we notice..or dont notice..Im thinking im going to call tropic marin and ask them for a better and more simple description of what this is supposed to do..i realize its kind of light carbon dosing..or "natural" carbon dosing..im more interested in the other benefits...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Call rep :
Lou Ekus
413-367-0101

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im now using the Actif salt and carbo dosing additive. Seeing great results and growth/color thus far

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all of the stuff mentioned thus far. I dose All-For-Reef and Carbo Ca with my apex DOS and I manually dose Reef Actif. It is a form of carbon dosing as I like to feed heavy. I dose it on Wed or Thursday between my weekly water changes usually. Have been using it for almost a year. Works great for me. I’m no chemist, just throwing out my personal experience.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you use both of these?
Short answer...trying it out. I wanted to try AFR but also wanted to see if I could run a slightly higher dKH. Using AFR as a "baseline" dose since it has some trace elements, I use the Carbo Ca (slightly less expensive) to try to bring up some other values I want higher. Been trying to tune it for a while now. For now I am liking it. Realizing that I am speaking with a chemist, I would ask for forgiveness as I haven't taken Organic Chemistry since college. Be gentle ;)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone with some updated results on Reef Actif specifically?
Not sure what specific results you are seeking but I have high success with using it regarding overall tank and coral color and growth.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what specific results you are seeking but I have high success with using it regarding overall tank and coral color and growth.
I guess my specific question is does it seem to keep down bad bacteria and algea concerns?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I guess my specific question is does it seem to keep down bad bacteria and algea concerns?
Wish I can confirm as I have no algae and no issues with dino and diatoms. I do control my lights and have good cleaner crew but with this salt- issues seem to be well managed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back