Tropical Abalone breeding tips?

mc-nuggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I found out these are not abalone, but stomatella snails.

I recently got 2 Stomatella snails as hitchhikers on coral frags I bought from a local pet shop which does not specialize in coral reefing. The shop does not sell these snails by themselves (I asked), and I think the staff are unaware that they even exist in their tank. I got the first one about a month ago by surprise, and I finally spotted another in the shop yesterday on the underside of a frag, which I bought immediately.

I have placed both in a small breeding/quarantine cube to try and induce breeding. I have 3 types of algae in there for them to feed on. One is about 20% larger than the other but I don't know for certain if I have one male and one female. I'm guessing I do. Both of them have shells which are about 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) long.

Does anyone here know how to discern male and female stomatella? Is there an ideal temperature to keep the water? Are there other ideal habitat conditions besides keeping it dark and away from crabs and fish? Any breeding tips?

If I do manage to successfully breed them, I'll gladly share the offspring with any local reef enthusiasts.

I'll continue to peruse my local pet shop for more in the meantime.

20230503_104336.jpg 20230503_103944.jpg 20230503_103757.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I recently got 2 Stomatella snails as hitchhikers on coral frags I bought from a local pet shop which does not specialize in coral reefing. The shop does not sell these snails by themselves (I asked), and I think the staff are unaware that they even exist in their tank. I got the first one about a month ago by surprise, and I finally spotted another in the shop yesterday on the underside of a frag, which I bought immediately.

I have placed both in a small breeding/quarantine cube to try and induce breeding. I have 3 types of algae in there for them to feed on. One is about 20% larger than the other but I don't know for certain if I have one male and one female. I'm guessing I do. Both of them have shells which are about 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) long.

Does anyone here know how to discern male and female stomatella? Is there an ideal temperature to keep the water? Are there other ideal habitat conditions besides keeping it dark and away from crabs and fish? Any breeding tips?

If I do manage to successfully breed them, I'll gladly share the offspring with any local reef enthusiasts.

Stomatella snail and one of the Best and safest algae eaters you cannot buy. great hitchhiker

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These guys are great. I lucked out and had some hitchhike into my anemone system and yes, they do breed like crazy.

OP
OP
mc-nuggs

mc-nuggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out Manhattan Aquariums has tropical abalone in stock:

Back