Trouble with network... weak signal and dropped packets

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I have a ticket that's been open with GHL for about a month (Ticket ID 1042).

Basically, I'm having a very hard time connecting to the controller via WiFi. The access point signal is very weak and does not stay up. When it is available it works great. I can use this as a work around, but clearly it's less than desirable to necessitate changing WiFi networks just to enable feed mode.

The client is where I'm having the most trouble. I can put the controller right next to my wifi router and it won't stay connected. Support is suggesting that there is interference from other devices causing the disruption. When I ping the controller while connected to the network I see up to 54% packet loss. I can ping ANY other device on my network and get ZERO loss. No other devices on my network have trouble connecting.

At this point I feel like I'm going back and forth with Matthias. He keeps suggesting there must be interference which is causing the problem. I had no problems in the beginning. This has only come up in the last month.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of WiFi router are you using? Is it a mesh router? Is the controller under the aquarium?
If so this can be a difficult spot for a WiFi signal.
This is a Profilux 4 I assume.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of WiFi router are you using? Is it a mesh router? Is the controller under the aquarium?
If so this can be a difficult spot for a WiFi signal.
This is a Profilux 4 I assume.
Yes. Profilux 4e. I'm using an Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi.

With a network scanner running on my laptop next to the controller here is what the Profilux access point looks like. All those gaps are when the signal is undetectable.
ProFiluxSignal.jpg

I shoved the laptop running the scanner under the stand with the controller. Strong signal from my router, but the controller shows no connection.
NoConnect2.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the closest mesh point to the Profilux? Those drops are are pretty wide. There is some kind of interference going on. Computers have much larger antenna than aquarium controllers.
Might need to add a mesh point in the stand to get the issue to go away. I had this happen with a Cannon Wifi printer had to put a mesh near it instead of another room. Do you have that many devices on your network.
That is quite a bit of traffic on there.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the closest mesh point to the Profilux? Those drops are are pretty wide. There is some kind of interference going on. Computers have much larger antenna than aquarium controllers.
Might need to add a mesh point in the stand to get the issue to go away. I had this happen with a Cannon Wifi printer had to put a mesh near it instead of another room. Do you have that many devices on your network.
That is quite a bit of traffic on there.
Even when the controller is at my desk (troubleshooting) and right next to the router the results are the same... Also, the profilux signal should be a solid line. All those gaps are where the scanner can't see the profilux AP.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben,

I don't own either, but I am a network guy by trade...

If you know how to, set your laptop's IP address to a static IP of 10.0.1.123, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, default gateway of 10.0.1.150. Connect to the hopefully visible controller CCSD. Then ping and connect to 10.0.1.150 through the GCC software. If that works reliably throughout the house then continue below:

Are the Orbi and Profilux firmware up to date? Was there an update done about when the problem started?

Are your channels fixed or autoassigned by the Orbis?

Does the Orbi program tell you which Access Point the controller does connect to?

How full is the 2.4GHz spectrum near you? (I recommend an app called WiFiman by Ubiquiti to check. )

If I recall correctly, the controller is wireless G band only. I would test with your laptop again, but only using the same band. (Granted with different radios and antennas it might be a moot point, but it might also be something that AC works fine, but older standards do not)

As stupid as it might sound, antenna orientation might matter. Have you tried rotating the control 90 degrees so it is standing on its side?

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to set up static IP on your router for your PC and Profilux.
Latest Wifi firmware versions are coming pretty stable now. I do have my Profilux actually around 8-10 meters away of my router and no packet lost at all.
I do have a lot of equipments connected to my router but I try to keep the lowest number on the 2.4ghz band. Notebooks or phones are connected to the 5ghz.

upload_2019-6-20_0-55-38.png

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you disable the local access point on the P4 does it stay connected? Or if you change the channel on the hotspot of the P4 does it help at all?

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Linksys mesh and can see which clients are connected to which access point, does yours have that? I notice a lot of client devices don't pick the closest access point from time to time. Usually during first setup as I bring access points online or after a power outage and access points are rebooting. The client just associates with the first access point it finds so even though you have a access point right next to it it's probably associating with one far away. As a test unplug the other mesh access points except the one closest to see if this is happening.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you disable the local access point on the P4 does it stay connected? Or if you change the channel on the hotspot of the P4 does it help at all?
Great question. This is one of the things I've tried in the troubleshooting with GHL. I've tried with and without myGHL enabled as well as just enabling the Access point and client mode one at a time. Neither make any difference.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of wireless router are you using?
Netgear Orbi RBK50.
https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk50.aspx

Six (6) high performance internal antennas with high-powered amplifiers Implicit & Explicit Beamforming for 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands MU-MIMO capable for simultaneous data streaming to multiple devices Powerful Quad-Core 710MHz processor

2.4GHz (400Mbps†) + 5GHz (866Mbps†) for WiFi devices to connect to the Internet 5GHz (1733Mbps†) dedicated WiFi link for faster data connections between Orbi router and Orbi Satellite

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take pictures of where devise is located under the tank and what’s around it. Seems to me like interference. Do you have anything pulsing like wave makers?

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the controller under the tank. 2 items I should note:
- I have a Sicce wireless enabled pump under the tank as well. It has no problem connecting to my network. I have no problem connecting to the pump from my phone via the LAN.
- When I've been working with GHL on troubleshooting I remove the controller from under the tank and put it on my desk which is no more than 10 feet from my access point where the problems persist.
1DEBDCD5-2247-4603-B45A-FAD62EDB8B9B.jpeg

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the controller under the tank. 2 items I should note:
- I have a Sicce wireless enabled pump under the tank as well. It has no problem connecting to my network. I have no problem connecting to the pump from my phone via the LAN.
- When I've been working with GHL on troubleshooting I remove the controller from under the tank and put it on my desk which is no more than 10 feet from my access point where the problems persist.
1DEBDCD5-2247-4603-B45A-FAD62EDB8B9B.jpeg
You have MESH wireless which means you should have multiple access points. Do you just have the 1 or do you have other wireless access points plugged in throughout your house? For example I have my primary one in my family room but additional ones in my bedroom and basement.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
networks.jpg
Correct. I have one primary router and one "satellite" as Netgear calls it. One is downstairs and the other is upstairs in my home. On a WiFi scanner it shows up as 4 separate networks (2 x 2.4 and 2 x 5ghz), but only one SSID.

Last edited:

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the GHL at your tank, closest to the primary netgear,can you unplug the satellite netgear temporarily and see if performance improves?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back