Troutt's Reef-Pi Build

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know. I will keep an eye just in case. I solder everyday do everything from through hole to LGA and BGA, TSOP and VSOP. And package sizes as small as 0201. 0201 is such a pain though. I do deal with 0805 and 0603 packages almost daily though. I can hand solder those with a soldering iron.

Thanks for letting me know that I will be sure to use that tool!

You said "VSOP" and my mind suddenly abandoned soldering...

Screenshot_20181212-191725_Chrome.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The database is definitely not reset. With new database reef-pi should never bind to a specific ip . Your log is telling it’s bound to a specific ip. Keep the terminal open to see running log (journalctl -fu reef-pi.service) and then in another terminal do reset process (stop reef-pi , Delete database and start reef pi)

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
Ok sir new picture I did what you stated but not changed.

Just to be clear I set this IP in a tab in reef-pi. Trying to figure it out to learn something instead of just deleting and reinstalling.

AFA4C3A3-92EB-4C07-95A6-D07E41322EBB.jpeg

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much $ would you say is invested? Im DIY and want to tackle this but the $ of the 8 plug apex being lowered defused the drive.

Thanks

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much $ would you say is invested? Im DIY and want to tackle this but the $ of the 8 plug apex being lowered defused the drive.

Thanks

Each outlet was 1.98 per outlet so like $8 for those. The relay board was $8. The raspberry pi was 35. I had the wood at the house for the outlet box. Paid $22 for the plastic project box to house the raspberry pi. And say $30ish dollar in odds and ins.

So I’m a little over $100 for the power outlet feature. That being said man a lot of the stuff I ordered came with extras. So for instance I purchased the stuff to do 2 temp probes and the outlet box. And I’m right at $150. I see it being less than an extra $100 to add light control, ato, and powerhead controlling.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaaaa-Powwwww

C71C1E02-8882-4CBB-A387-3E0C7FD37368.jpeg

I haven’t checked the outlets yet. Will do that tomorrow. @Ranjib hey man I am still not able to connect outside of my network. And now for some reason I am not able to connect on my local network either. I am using VNC here. So gotta figure that out too.

Oh and a picture of the box definitely room to add! And add I will be doing.
image.jpg

Please ignore the sharpie marker I gotta clean it and label everything
image.jpg

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pricing according to the build guides and I'm at around $250 for lighting, power,temp with just another $20 to do ATO control, then maybe $50 for 3 head doser.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pricing according to the build guides and I'm at around $250 for lighting, power,temp with just another $20 to do ATO control, then maybe $50 for 3 head doser.

I don’t have to buy everything either. There are a lot of small things that I have on hand because of my hobbies. So there is some cost savings to me there. Once I get done with the two modules I am doing now I will add everything up and I will try to present it in an itemized format.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Hey man here is what I am getting when trying to connect over local network. I have the pi brought up over VNC and then using chrome to try and connect to it I did it this way to make sure I was typing in things correctly and for a visual of course.

image.jpg

Last edited:

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the pi through VNC, open a terminal and type ifconfig [enter]. Look at wlan0 in the output, the ip given is your current ip. On laptop browser, try ip address and :80, example 192.168.0.25:80.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Hey man here is what I am getting when trying to connect over local network. I have the pi brought up over VNC and then using chrome to try and connect to it I did it this way to make sure I was typing in things correctly and for a visual of course.

image.jpg
I think this is a windows specific problem. Try searching for how to get bonjour (.local names) working in windows (whatever version you have): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23624525/standard-mdns-service-on-windows

sorry about this, i was not aware of it. Keep us posted if you are able to resolve this.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the, it should work from your iphone or android device at least (i.e. you should be able to access reef-pi webui using http://reeefpi.local address)

You are correct sir is works just fine on my iPhone. I didn’t think to try that last night. I will do some searching tonight about getting it to work on Windows when I get home.

I have a reefcleaners pack coming today and I’m excited for that.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the pi through VNC, open a terminal and type ifconfig [enter]. Look at wlan0 in the output, the ip given is your current ip. On laptop browser, try ip address and :80, example 192.168.0.25:80.
I will give this a shot tonight. I tried using http://10.0.0.129:local that didn’t work. I will try what you mention this evening thank you!

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottBrew I didnt have a problem finding the IP that was assigned to the reef-pi just login wasnt working on windows from separate computer. Your suggestion of adding the port number instead .local at the end worked. So I am able to log into my pi now using http://reefpi:80 from any windows computer on my network.

@Ranjib I Forwarded port 80 in my router and now http://myroutersIP allows me to connect outside of my network.

The one question I do have is there a way to get a notification when comcast changes my IP? That way I wont be in the blu and not be able to connect when not on home network?

Until I can find out if there is a way to always know my home IP address I will probably leave the VNC server running. Just in case. Would love to not have to do that though.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So using VNC while I am actually on the PI desktop everytime I move the mouse or scroll a webpage Something either the PI or the Buck converters are making a noise. Almost sounds like a hardrive searching. Nothing is hot. The one buck I am using for 5v is cozy warm.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I choose a different port other than the default 80. I dont know much about forwarding ports but from what I do know opening up a port is similar to opening up a gate. So for instance my house would be my router and there are 65535 roads coming to my house. There is a gate on each of those roads. You tell your router you want to forward port 50000. So you are basically saying open the gate on that road.

So anyone can now see that port and possible gain access to my system correct?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottBrew I didnt have a problem finding the IP that was assigned to the reef-pi just login wasnt working on windows from separate computer. Your suggestion of adding the port number instead .local at the end worked. So I am able to log into my pi now using http://reefpi:80 from any windows computer on my network.

@Ranjib I Forwarded port 80 in my router and now http://myroutersIP allows me to connect outside of my network.

The one question I do have is there a way to get a notification when comcast changes my IP? That way I wont be in the blu and not be able to connect when not on home network?

Until I can find out if there is a way to always know my home IP address I will probably leave the VNC server running. Just in case. Would love to not have to do that though.
None that I’m aware of

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None that I’m aware of

I wish I knew how to program. Seems like you could run a small program that would reach out to whatsmyip.org and check the IP it gives to a file that contains your IP. If it is different it would notify you by email or SMS and then update the file. Could have it check every hour or so.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back